The Student Room Group

Why is "diversity" such a great or necessary thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by grabembythepussy
Canada is diverse and look at them.

I said there are exceptions. I would point out however, that 75% of Canada's population is still of European descent, and the majority of them are of Northern and Western European stock, English, Scottish, Irish, French, Scandinavian, German etc, ethnic groups that are all culturally quite similar to begin with. Plus, Canada is a very large and sparsely populated country. People tend not to squabble so much when they have their own space and are not stepping on each other's toes all the time.

"Boy I really hate Muslims. We should torch the local mosque to teach them a lesson. Now where is the nearest mosque? Oh, 700 miles away. Well screw that. Let's just go to the pub instead."
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
lmaoo I always grew up seeing little cartoon banners hanging in my school main entrance welcoming the parents, with like a Chinese kid drawn, a Jew like a white girl with a dark afro, a black boy, a ginger with freckles, an Indian teacher and a blonde girl and they're all smiling together :rofl:

meanwhile the school had like no Jews or Chinese or Indian teachers and like barely black, only some mixed kids :toofunny:

:rofl: they did similar in my school, making whatever displays they put up ethnically diverse af, despite there being hardly any actual ethnic diversity there, half the time I was the only kid of colour in the class haha, also my school had a racism problem lol. :rofl:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
:rofl: they did similar in my school, making whatever displays they put up ethnically diverse af, despite there being hardly any actual ethnic diversity there, half the time I was the only kid of colour in the class haha, also my school had a racism problem lol. :rofl:

really? The only one? Well that's gonna happen up north though. Lotta scots there I think. On paper it's mixed but sometimes I can imagine walking through for some time till you see a person of colour lol Was your area mostly white or Asian though? Because you could be alienated in a mostly asian area while not Asian too.
Original post by 0to100
really? The only one? Well that's gonna happen up north though. Lotta scots there I think. On paper it's mixed but sometimes I can imagine walking through for some time till you see a person of colour lol Was your area mostly white or Asian though? Because you could be alienated in a mostly asian area while not Asian too.

The only one in my classes, I'd say like 95% of the time haha. The area I live and my old school were/are predominantly white lol, but a lot of areas in Sheffield are predominantly Asian.
The only one in my classes, I'd say like 95% of the time haha. The area I live and my old school were/are predominantly white lol, but a lot of areas in Sheffield are predominantly Asian.

:\ Never knew how bad it could be...my gf is half black and has been verbally abused for being so but normally she mugs them off easily though.
Original post by 0to100
:\ Never knew how bad it could be...my gf is half black and has been verbally abused for being so but normally she mugs them off easily though.

I see what you mean, I sometimes get comments from people, I even got called a 'paki' at school by someone, which was weird lol, but if anyone says anything I just tell them to get f***ed, it's 2016 lol.
I see what you mean, I sometimes get comments from people, I even got called a 'paki' at school by someone, which was weird lol, but if anyone says anything I just tell them to get f***ed, it's 2016 lol.

....you got called an asian? loool
Original post by 0to100
....you got called an asian? loool

Yeah lol, the guy that called me it was such a dickhead, he called my friend an ostrich just because she was tall. :rofl:
Yeah lol, the guy that called me it was such a dickhead, he called my friend an ostrich just because she was tall. :rofl:

lmfao ostrich

one time this special needs kid called this girl the n-word

she could only laugh...because he was special needs lol he looked like a badly drawn cartoon character :toofunny:he looked like a ****ing meme
Original post by 0to100
lmfao ostrich

one time this special needs kid called this girl the n-word

she could only laugh...because he was special needs lol he looked like a badly drawn cartoon character :toofunny:he looked like a ****ing meme

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: any specific meme?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: any specific meme?

I quoted the meme in another thread btw lol
if you dont see it pm me lol
TBH, I do have a big diversity problem. A friend asked me to help him add depth to an American character for a novel he's writing. Soooo, I gave the character a Welsh-Jewish mother and a Canandian-Jewish father whose family had escaped from Hamburg. He's born in Ontario moves to Connecticut, then his parents separate. Father moves to Haifa, mother to London, where she teaches Geology. Then he falls in love with a Hindu-East Pakistani man escaping the genocide. Happily ever after. :smile:This friend ended up removing the character because I'd taken control of his story. I made every character Black or Vietnamese or Tamil or Maori or Japanese-Brazilian or Pashtun or Turkish... You get the drift. Turns out he's a bloody chauvinist who doesn't like my "goddamn diversity." :P
(edited 3 years ago)
there's no such thing as diversity. u need to have proper border controls in check. i visited london and saw tens of thousands of people walking up and down the streets on a weekday dresses casually and they don't look like they're going to work. they're just walking up and down and going in and out of shops.
I don't really agree with some of the "diversity agenda", especially when it comes to examples such as the BBC only hiring non-white people! But I will try to cobble together the best argument I could make for that side, not that I am necessarily persuaded by it.

Original post by SummerStrawberry
Diversity for diversity's sake is relatively pointless. However, it is important for us to work for equity of opportunity in society,

This is a good start. Distinguishing between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome is key. Furthermore, I think it's true that there definitely was discrimination against groups in the past based on skin colour, sex, religion and sexuality. There is very probably still some prejudice against these groups today, albeit much less than there was, and direct examples of discrimination may be rare. Therefore we should "correct" the bias against these groups by promoting or encouraging them in particular jobs, or if you go far enough, lowering the bar for them.

However, my big problem with this approach is how can you distinguish between opportunity and outcome? Just because fewer women do job x or fewer men job y does NOT automatically mean discrimination. There are many other potential factors that tend to just get ignored. Take this example:

the vast majority of people working in computing are men. It's not that women are barred from these jobs, but that many women don't seem themselves working in them.

Why? Because they don't see many other women working in the field. When thinking of a computer programmer, you think of a man, because that's the predominant stereotype which you have seen and ingrained into your view of the world.

Possibly. And possibly women just aren't as interested regardless or stereotypes. How can we tell? I don't think we can easily.

Companies want the best people, and the best people are female as well as male, so it makes sense that they want to remove the unseen barrier which stops women from applying; that extrapolates to presenting themselves as more diverse, because by doing so they show potential female applicants that they too could work in that company and in that field.

Examples like this are found everywhere. Oxford University have, in all of their videos on specific courses, at least one woman and at least one man. It's not necessarily that they're trying to be fully politically correct, rather that they're trying to show applicants that, regardless of their gender, the course could be right for them. It's about changing ingrained and subconscious views - very few people are explicitly sexist and more, and it's the more subtle - often unintentional - elements of sexism that need to be changed.

I agree with this approach. It might be a bit hokey that every advert has a woman or dark skinned person on it, but I think it's worth it for any encouragement that might give people.

However, when it comes to the bean counting approach of how many women in government, or how many men in teaching, or how many non-white people in whatever, you've gone too far. We should do our best to make discrimination illegal - and we have - and we should prosecute cases where it happens. But we should not be massaging the numbers to assuage collective paranoia about prejudice. Remove the barriers and let the waters flow where they will.

One thing to bear in mind is that discrimination has surely decreased over the past few decades. Yet what has happened to the diversity industry? It should shrink as the problem shrinks. And yet it has done the opposite, growing out of all proportion year on year. Once these ideas get going, it is incredibly hard to stop them and the diversity police will do what they can to cling on to power.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not great or necessary.

It's made up *******s and we just need people on merit in positions regardless of who they are.

As for window dressing I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending