The Student Room Group

Theology Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by izzyjh
Hi! Applying to Durham, KCL, Exeter, Edinburgh & Leeds. My AS grades were AAB (200/200 UMS in RS), predicted A*AA at A2. How competitive are theology courses in general? I'm currently under the impression it's a relatively 'rare' course, with few people applying. Is this the case? Literally over here stressing out about getting offers.

Wow incredible UMS right there! Well done :biggrin:

What Durham college are you looking at?

Theology isn't the most competitive course in terms of numbers, no, but I reckon it's harder in some ways that the more familiar subjects like English in terms of getting in. Reason being, Theology is quite 'niche' in comparison, so the people who apply tend to genuinely want to study it a lot more. Ofc that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Having said that, Theology isn't intensely oversubscribed so with grades like yours, you have a very very good chance at all of the unis you've named!
Reply 21
welcome to the Theology 2017 thread!
Awesome, so glad I've found some more likeminded folk now!
I'm applying to Oxford, Birmingham, York, Manchester + Leeds for a mix of theology/philosophy/religion etc.; got 6A and 6A* at GCSE and then AAABC at AS-level. My RS exam was a bit of a disaster (and I'm not friends with edexcel anymore) so I'm resitting that and hopefully raising it to something more than a C.
Predicted grades: A*AA
Reply 23
Original post by bigmandave
Wow incredible UMS right there! Well done :biggrin:

What Durham college are you looking at?

Theology isn't the most competitive course in terms of numbers, no, but I reckon it's harder in some ways that the more familiar subjects like English in terms of getting in. Reason being, Theology is quite 'niche' in comparison, so the people who apply tend to genuinely want to study it a lot more. Ofc that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Having said that, Theology isn't intensely oversubscribed so with grades like yours, you have a very very good chance at all of the unis you've named!

So unsure about Durham colleges! Probably Josephine Butler, though I've heard some bad things. I'm not that bothered either way, my favourite university is KCL for sure.
Hi everyone,

Applying to do combined course in Philosophy and Theology.
GCSES - 2A*'s 3A's 4B's
AS - ABC (was 3 marks from an A in RS)
Currently my predictions are not set in stone but I'm looking at A*BB probably, which I am happy with.
Applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Nottingham, Manchester and KCL!
Reply 25
I'm Applying for the joint Philosophy & Theology course at Oriel College Oxford, St Andrews, Durham, Exeter and Birmingham.

I achieved 2A* 7A 2B at GCSE (Terrible I know)

I achieved AAAA at AS in maths, biology, RS and general studies. My UMS averages were 87.7 in maths (C1-92,C2-80,S1-91), 87 in RS (Phil-86,Ethics-88) and 90 in general studies (90 in both). My biology course doesn't operate in UMS but I got the A by 12 marks- so quite secure!

I am predicted A*A*A at A2 with the A in maths and A* in RS/Biology.

Happy to find my fellow hoes for theology/ philosophy 😛
Best of luck fellow theologians :wink:
sup g'sgot 5a* 3a 1c at gcse hahah **** but yano didn't put in max effort for some reason got AAAA at as n predicted A*A*A (history, RS, economics)applying to Oxford (St Peter's.. dunno why tbf got no chance but still), Durham (st John's), Bristol, Edinburgh and idk about the last one... maybe St Andrew's or Exeter!? Personal statement is going ****... so worried! How's everyone else's application coming?loool
Original post by Rudeboi123456
sup g'sgot 5a* 3a 1c at gcse hahah **** but yano didn't put in max effort for some reason got AAAA at as n predicted A*A*A (history, RS, economics)applying to Oxford (St Peter's.. dunno why tbf got no chance but still), Durham (st John's), Bristol, Edinburgh and idk about the last one... maybe St Andrew's or Exeter!? Personal statement is going ****... so worried! How's everyone else's application coming?loool

Woo I'm applying to John's for Durham too hehe
Original post by gingerboyben
Woo I'm applying to John's for Durham too hehe

geddon, you done your ps yet?
Hey:smile:
So I am applying to Oxford, Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh and Bristol.
GCSES: 1A 7Bs 1C (awful I know but I have serious extenuating circumstances.)
AS: ABB (A in English , B in RS, B in History)

Predicted:A*AA/AAA depending on my coursework mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by RonnieBotes
Hey:smile:
So I am applying to Oxford, Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh and Bristol.
GCSES: 1A 7Bs 1C (awful I know but I have serious extenuating circumstances.)
AS: ABB (A in English , B in RS, B in History)

Predicted:A*AA/AAA depending on my coursework mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which Oxford college? And hey, you're GCSEs aren't awful at all especially considering your circumstances. Oxford will probably turn to your predictions instead, and those are very good! :smile:
Which Oxford college? And hey, you're GCSEs aren't awful at all especially considering your circumstances. Oxford will probably turn to your predictions instead, and those are very good! :smile:

Probably Keble or St Peters atm but to be honestly I'm not too sure. Need to make my mind up by Friday :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I've just had the worst blip.. My parents really want me to apply for English so I wrote an English ps instead and convinced myself that would be fine. But now I'm realising Theology is really what I want to do and I have no personal statement! Literally days before the deadline. What a mess
Reply 34
I've just had the worst blip.. My parents really want me to apply for English so I wrote an English ps instead and convinced myself that would be fine. But now I'm realising Theology is really what I want to do and I have no personal statement! Literally days before the deadline. What a mess

Are there any joint courses you could apply to at all with both? At the universities you want of course? That could maybe save you. Or talk to your sixth form & inform them of your intention so you can get the early app in close to the deadline to give you time to write your PS again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rudeboi123456
geddon, you done your ps yet?

Just sent my UCAS application. What about you? :biggrin:
Original post by gingerboyben
Just sent my UCAS application. What about you? :biggrin:

mine went off today
Reply 37
Just sent mine off now!
Just sent mine off now!

For English or Theology and where?