The Student Room Group

Withdrawal from RE

Hi, so I've just recently started Sixth Form, and after settling in they're telling us we must do RE next half term. I'm off on the day it happens, so they expect me to come in for the one hour and then go home. I was planning on using this day off to find work experience once I'm more settled in.

As somebody who is not religiously inclined in any way, I find this an outrage. We were not told that we'd have to do this, and it wasn't on the agreement they made us sign. I got an A* in RE at GCSE, so I'm sure that should be enough religion for a non-religious person.

Ranting aside, is there any way I can opt out of the subject? I've been looking around online and it says I can, but apparently the school is threatening to remove anybody that refuses to attend. I'm not the only person who feels this way, so getting any information would help. My mum is also on board with me not doing RE, because she appreciates that I hated it at GCSE and I'm an atheist anyway, so it doesn't benefit me.

If you could provide me with any information at all, I'd be massively grateful. Thanks in advance!

PS: I copied this because I'd pasted it in the wrong sub-forum, so hopefully that one can be deleted. Sorry for the inconvenience. :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Super Koopa
Hi, so I've just recently started Sixth Form, and after settling in they're telling us we must do RE next half term. I'm off on the day it happens, so they expect me to come in for the one hour and then go home. I was planning on using this day off to find work experience once I'm more settled in.

As somebody who is not religiously inclined in any way, I find this an outrage. We were not told that we'd have to do this, and it wasn't on the agreement they made us sign. I got an A* in RE at GCSE, so I'm sure that should be enough religion for a non-religious person.

Ranting aside, is there any way I can opt out of the subject? I've been looking around online and it says I can, but apparently the school is threatening to remove anybody that refuses to attend. I'm not the only person who feels this way, so getting any information would help. My mum is also on board with me not doing RE, because she appreciates that I hated it at GCSE and I'm an atheist anyway, so it doesn't benefit me.

If you could provide me with any information at all, I'd be massively grateful. Thanks in advance!

PS: I copied this because I'd pasted it in the wrong sub-forum, so hopefully that one can be deleted. Sorry for the inconvenience. :frown:

Ask the headmaster why ot os compulsory and under what authroty they are making you take it or have you removed. It may be in their terms and conditions.

If you mum makes a complaint to the headmaster, then she might get a reply and if no happy she can take it to the board of governors. The more people you have showing as much outrage as you then the harder it will be to ignore.

Is it a religious school?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Ask the headmaster why ot os compulsory and under what authroty they are making you take it or have you removed. It may be in their terms and conditions.

If you mum makes a complaint to the headmaster, then she might get a reply and if no happy she can take it to the board of governors. The more people you have showing as much outrage as you then the harder it will be to ignore.

Is it a religious school?

I've already asked a member of staff (albeit not the headteacher, because she's a religious zealot) about why the school is forcing this now, and she just gave the generic "it's a religious school" answer, as well as "the qualification you're doing doesn't focus as much on the religion, but the philosophy". I've done the qualification before, and I got 19/20 on the essay we were made to write, but because only a fraction of the year finished, I don't think they submitted our results, or whatever.

My mum has said that she'll complain if I don't get a valid answer in a few days, but we've both agreed that if she's given a nonsensical or hostile reply then we'll continue to take it further until someone notices. However, I'm worried that this is going to give them an excuse to kick me out, even though they shouldn't be able to.

I'm a bit confused as to if it's classed as a religious school though, because it's not in the name of the Sixth Form, and we were told we wouldn't be forced to do RE. There's no mention of RE in the agreement they made us sign either, so technically we didn't agree to it. The secondary school it's connected to is Catholic however, so I guess that's why the headteacher is trying to force the Sixth Form into being religious.
I've already asked a member of staff (albeit not the headteacher, because she's a religious zealot) about why the school is forcing this now, and she just gave the generic "it's a religious school" answer, as well as "the qualification you're doing doesn't focus as much on the religion, but the philosophy". I've done the qualification before, and I got 19/20 on the essay we were made to write, but because only a fraction of the year finished, I don't think they submitted our results, or whatever.

My mum has said that she'll complain if I don't get a valid answer in a few days, but we've both agreed that if she's given a nonsensical or hostile reply then we'll continue to take it further until someone notices. However, I'm worried that this is going to give them an excuse to kick me out, even though they shouldn't be able to.

I'm a bit confused as to if it's classed as a religious school though, because it's not in the name of the Sixth Form, and we were told we wouldn't be forced to do RE. There's no mention of RE in the agreement they made us sign either, so technically we didn't agree to it. The secondary school it's connected to is Catholic however, so I guess that's why the headteacher is trying to force the Sixth Form into being religious.

Have you only just joined this school for A levels? I touched upon the fact of whether it was a religious school. If it is, then I imagine theres terms and conditions about joining the 6th form. You need to read those.

is it a good sixth form with high attainment levels? I doubt they will allow you to pick and choose. It seems to be school policy. I cant tell without reading the conditions. If you dont agree with it then you will probably be asked to find another school. See if you signed or agree to the terms.
Reply 4
Have you only just joined this school for A levels? I touched upon the fact of whether it was a religious school. If it is, then I imagine theres terms and conditions about joining the 6th form. You need to read those.

is it a good sixth form with high attainment levels? I doubt they will allow you to pick and choose. It seems to be school policy. I cant tell without reading the conditions. If you dont agree with it then you will probably be asked to find another school. See if you signed or agree to the terms.

Part of it was due to me being scared of going somewhere new, as it's the Sixth Form to my secondary school, which was Catholic. But yeah, I knew the teachers there and I was definitely able to do the A-Level combination I wanted to, so that's a big plus. The main reason I stayed though was because of this project that aims to get more students from our area into an Oxbridge university, which I wouldn't be able to be a part of if I left the Sixth Form.

As far as I'm aware, the Sixth Form itself doesn't associate strongly with religion, although there could be some kind of loophole because the lower school is religious. The contract we were given and had to sign to join the Sixth Form mentioned nothing about religion, however; not a single word. Sadly, the brochure for the Sixth Form isn't available now because the website's got some kind of technical problems, but I'll check if I still have a copy and get back to you on if that mentioned religion.

The Sixth Form has been one of the best in the city since it opened, which shockingly can't be said about the lower school. If it is school policy that we have to do RE, it hasn't been specified, otherwise I genuinely would have went somewhere else. A number of my friends have said the same thing too, so either we all collectively didn't notice a small line referencing it, or they simply left it out. Teachers told us it was less religious than the lower school though, which I guess is a lie.
Part of it was due to me being scared of going somewhere new, as it's the Sixth Form to my secondary school, which was Catholic. But yeah, I knew the teachers there and I was definitely able to do the A-Level combination I wanted to, so that's a big plus. The main reason I stayed though was because of this project that aims to get more students from our area into an Oxbridge university, which I wouldn't be able to be a part of if I left the Sixth Form.

As far as I'm aware, the Sixth Form itself doesn't associate strongly with religion, although there could be some kind of loophole because the lower school is religious. The contract we were given and had to sign to join the Sixth Form mentioned nothing about religion, however; not a single word. Sadly, the brochure for the Sixth Form isn't available now because the website's got some kind of technical problems, but I'll check if I still have a copy and get back to you on if that mentioned religion.

The Sixth Form has been one of the best in the city since it opened, which shockingly can't be said about the lower school. If it is school policy that we have to do RE, it hasn't been specified, otherwise I genuinely would have went somewhere else. A number of my friends have said the same thing too, so either we all collectively didn't notice a small line referencing it, or they simply left it out. Teachers told us it was less religious than the lower school though, which I guess is a lie.

You can get an explanation about the policy, but I suspect they are allowed to do it (check).

If you then dont like it you can find another sixth form.
Reply 6
You can get an explanation about the policy, but I suspect they are allowed to do it (check).

If you then dont like it you can find another sixth form.

The sad part is that I've read around online and various sources have conflicting views on if they can make you leave or not. And I can't even find the contract, as I've misplaced my copy. I've checked everywhere, but I'll have another search tomorrow just to make sure.

I mean, I could always just push forward my plans to get work experience, as then they apparently can't make me do RE, so I suppose I'll look into more relevant work experience providers and hope I can find someone that's willing to take me on so soon.
The sad part is that I've read around online and various sources have conflicting views on if they can make you leave or not. And I can't even find the contract, as I've misplaced my copy. I've checked everywhere, but I'll have another search tomorrow just to make sure.

I mean, I could always just push forward my plans to get work experience, as then they apparently can't make me do RE, so I suppose I'll look into more relevant work experience providers and hope I can find someone that's willing to take me on so soon.

Why wouldnt they be able to make you leave? You join based ion terms you agree to. they should be on the website. If you dont have them, then it would seem sensible to ask the school for a copy.

Its their school. take it or leave it.
Reply 8
Why wouldnt they be able to make you leave? You join based ion terms you agree to. they should be on the website. If you dont have them, then it would seem sensible to ask the school for a copy.

Its their school. take it or leave it.

Religious education was almost definitely not one of those terms. I've read other documents handed out by the school, and not a single one of those mentions religious education. The Sixth Form doesn't have "Catholic" in its name like the lower school either. And then there's the fact that they waited until the end of the first half term to impose it on us whilst saying the Sixth Form is less religious. It's been handled deceptively.

I'm probably going to ask the school for a copy tomorrow, and then I'll analyse that for loopholes and the like. If it turns out RE is clearly stated on there, I'm going to strongly consider my options.
Religious education was almost definitely not one of those terms. I've read other documents handed out by the school, and not a single one of those mentions religious education. The Sixth Form doesn't have "Catholic" in its name like the lower school either. And then there's the fact that they waited until the end of the first half term to impose it on us whilst saying the Sixth Form is less religious. It's been handled deceptively.

I'm probably going to ask the school for a copy tomorrow, and then I'll analyse that for loopholes and the like. If it turns out RE is clearly stated on there, I'm going to strongly consider my options.

It might just be a clause allowing them discretion and your acceptance to abide by the decisions of the school. It would be just as easy to ask them where the authority comes from within the rules.
We do this in our college. Honestly just go and do it its so chilled out you dont even need to write anything,. go there and maybe use it as an excuse to go into college and do extra work
It might just be a clause allowing them discretion and your acceptance to abide by the decisions of the school. It would be just as easy to ask them where the authority comes from within the rules.

That's a very good point, when you put it that way. My mum phoned up today and said she wants to withdraw me, and she said she'd get referred to someone tomorrow.

Original post by LillyFaye
We do this in our college. Honestly just go and do it its so chilled out you dont even need to write anything,. go there and maybe use it as an excuse to go into college and do extra work

We just did our first lesson of it today (after being told PSHE would be on something else), and we've been given a book with questions in it. If it didn't involve writing and was relaxed like yours, I'd honestly have no objections at all. I just know that our headteacher is a religious nut, though, and we had to write an extended piece of writing in the hall, without tables. :frown:
That's a very good point, when you put it that way. My mum phoned up today and said she wants to withdraw me, and she said she'd get referred to someone tomorrow.

We just did our first lesson of it today (after being told PSHE would be on something else), and we've been given a book with questions in it. If it didn't involve writing and was relaxed like yours, I'd honestly have no objections at all. I just know that our headteacher is a religious nut, though, and we had to write an extended piece of writing in the hall, without tables. :frown:

On the basis I think the rules will contain some right for them to make it compulsory (you havent provided the answer to the direct question), then yes I think they cna and it is take it or leave it.

You then have to decide whetehr a new school is better, it may or may not be. I wonder how many of your friends will choose the same?
........... :frown:

You need to look up the rules for "schools of religious character" and see what it says about compulsory RE.

Here's a starting point https://www.gov.uk/guidance/religious-character-designation-guide-to-applying
On the basis I think the rules will contain some right for them to make it compulsory (you havent provided the answer to the direct question), then yes I think they cna and it is take it or leave it.

You then have to decide whetehr a new school is better, it may or may not be. I wonder how many of your friends will choose the same?

This is what I've grown to understand from today. Apparently the school wants it to be compulsory, but haven't said it to pupils directly, and no matter how compulsory they want it to be, legally I do have the right to withdraw if my parents choose to opt me out.

I know one friend is definitely considering leaving regardless, as he only just chose to stay in the Sixth Form. As for the others, I couldn't say. Personally, I'm very strongly considering leaving myself.

Original post by threeportdrift
You need to look up the rules for "schools of religious character" and see what it says about compulsory RE.

Here's a starting point https://www.gov.uk/guidance/religious-character-designation-guide-to-applying

I think a friend of mine has already looked at this, but I'll certainly look myself. Thank you very much for the help! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
This is what I've grown to understand from today. Apparently the school wants it to be compulsory, but haven't said it to pupils directly, and no matter how compulsory they want it to be, legally I do have the right to withdraw if my parents choose to opt me out.

I know one friend is definitely considering leaving regardless, as he only just chose to stay in the Sixth Form. As for the others, I couldn't say. Personally, I'm very strongly considering leaving myself.

I think a friend of mine has already looked at this, but I'll certainly look myself. Thank you very much for the help! :biggrin:

You said the school threatened to remove you.
Then you said wnats it to be compulsory, meaning it isnt.

Either they have the power or they do not. If they do not then they cannot remove you. If it was within school stragey and I had the power , then they would prefer you leave as you stand in the way of their proposed policy. They need compliance, vecayse to allow you not to would encourage others.

Im sure what threeport linked would give more guidance on the matter.
You said the school threatened to remove you.
Then you said wnats it to be compulsory, meaning it isnt.

Either they have the power or they do not. If they do not then they cannot remove you. If it was within school stragey and I had the power , then they would prefer you leave as you stand in the way of their proposed policy. They need compliance, vecayse to allow you not to would encourage others.

Im sure what threeport linked would give more guidance on the matter.

They technically haven't threatened to remove anyone yet, and I should have clarified that. It was a Form Tutor that said they'll probably ask us to leave. Meanwhile, when we told the head of Sixth Form that we don't want to do it today, he said he'd talk to us about it later.
Religion doesn't belong in schools... Ridiculous it's compulsory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They technically haven't threatened to remove anyone yet, and I should have clarified that. It was a Form Tutor that said they'll probably ask us to leave. Meanwhile, when we told the head of Sixth Form that we don't want to do it today, he said he'd talk to us about it later.

I cant really give you proper advice if you dont give me accurate information.
I cant really give you proper advice if you dont give me accurate information.

That is the accurate information. The whole "they'll ask you to leave" thing was just something a teacher said, and that's it. Everything else is accurate, and now that you know the circumstances around that specific point it's been cleared up as well, although I apologise for not clarifying earlier; I only found out the vast majority of this today myself.

Quick Reply

Latest