The Student Room Group

Old School Reference

Hi,
Can I use my old school reference when re-applying this year?
I have a good one. The people I worked for in my gap year are just not answering quickly enough to give me a reference.
Thanks to anyone who knows!!
Reply 1
Original post by JamieKT
Hi,
Can I use my old school reference when re-applying this year?
I have a good one. The people I worked for in my gap year are just not answering quickly enough to give me a reference.
Thanks to anyone who knows!!

You will need to ask the school, because if the unis you're applying to have any questions they will contact the school. It's fine to use this reference as long as they're happy with it, and they most likely will be
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You will need to ask the school, because if the unis you're applying to have any questions they will contact the school. It's fine to use this reference as long as they're happy with it, and they most likely will be

ALSO! Does anyone advise whether I should write why I'm leaving this uni in the personal statement? Seems a bit negative and haven't got any more room, now I've filled in what I did last year!
Original post by Juno

I agree
Original post by JamieKT
ALSO! Does anyone advise whether I should write why I'm leaving this uni in the personal statement? Seems a bit negative and haven't got any more room, now I've filled in what I did last year!

If you havent got any more room, then i wouldnt put it in, especially if it sounds a bit negative. No point taking out good stuff that will big you up a bit to put in anything that could sound negative. If any unis really want to know why, then they can quite easily ask you.
When I was looking at applying for a different university whilst studying at UCL, they asked that my reference was written by someone at the current university.

You might want to email the ones you're applying to ask and what they would prefer.*
Reply 6
Original post by JamieKT

You need to keep your personal statement positive. So you can list reasons for leaving if you say things about why you now like the new degree better. You would need to be careful with this though, as things like "i really like the cycle paths" are irrelevant.

But if you've managed to use up all the space with other things it doesn't really matter.
Reply 7
Original post by Noodlzzz
When I was looking at applying for a different university whilst studying at UCL, they asked that my reference was written by someone at the current university.

You might want to email the ones you're applying to ask and what they would prefer.*

See what you mean but I've only been here 3 weeks and they barely know who I am and we've not done any work!
Reply 8
Original post by JamieKT
See what you mean but I've only been here 3 weeks and they barely know who I am and we've not done any work!

The deadline for equal consideration is 15th Jan. (Except for Medicine / Oxbridge). So you still have some time to build an academic relationship with your tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending