The Student Room Group

Will number of GCSEs limit my chances for medicine at Oxford?

I really want to do medicine at Oxford University, but I've looked at the statistics and apparently the average number of GCSEs is 11 with some people doing 12.

My school, despite being a very good grammar school, only allows us to do 10 GCSEs, and I'm worried that this will limit my chances of getting into Oxford, especially for medicine.

I know they also look at percentage of A*, not just number, and BMAT and A levels, but I'm worried this will make me a lesser candidate.

My expected GCSEs are (I realise this is a bit early):

Biology 8 (A*)
Chemistry 8 (A*)
Physics 8 (A*
English Language 8 (A*)
English Literature 8 (A*)
History A*
Religious Studies A*
Business Studies 8 (A*)
Latin 8 (A*)

What do you think my chances would be with 10 GCSEs, probably 8-9 A* and 1-2 A.

For the new GCSE grades:

9-A**
8-A*
7-A
etc
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
I really want to do medicine at Oxford University, but I've looked at the statistics and apparently the average number of GCSEs is 11 with some people doing 12.

My school, despite being a very good grammar school, only allows us to do 10 GCSEs, and I'm worried that this will limit my chances of getting into Oxford, especially for medicine.

I know they also look at percentage of A*, not just number, and BMAT and A levels, but I'm worried this will make me a lesser candidate.

My expected GCSEs are (I realise this is a bit early):

Biology 8 (A*)
Chemistry 8 (A*)
Physics 8 (A*
English Language 8 (A*)
English Literature 8 (A*)
History A*
Religious Studies A*
Business Studies 8 (A*)
Latin 8 (A*)

What do you think my chances would be with 10 GCSEs, probably 8-9 A* and 1-2 A.

For the new GCSE grades:

9-A**
8-A*
7-A
etc

If you've got the statistics page which gives you explicit answers to all these questions, including a breakdown by number of A*s and pA*, then what more do you expect us to add?

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 2
Try your hardest to ace your GCSE's and then come back asking that question. There is more to an application than just GCSE- you have to have awesome AS and A2's, a standout PS, some work experience AND a good BMAT score (trying to remember everything my friend told me about the application)
If you get 10 A*s then you will have as good a chance as anyone. Your BMAT score is equally important, but just focus on your GCSE's for now and forget about Oxford/medicine.
Original post by AfcFob
Try your hardest to ace your GCSE's and then come back asking that question. There is more to an application than just GCSE- you have to have awesome AS and A2's, a standout PS, some work experience AND a good BMAT score (trying to remember everything my friend told me about the application)

Okay thanks. I am working mainly of my GCSEs but I find it motivates me to think of Oxford as a goal, realistic or not. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HopelessMedic
If you get 10 A*s then you will have as good a chance as anyone. Your BMAT score is equally important, but just focus on your GCSE's for now and forget about Oxford/medicine.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I just try and use Oxford as a goal to motivate me and was wondering what my chances work. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending