The Student Room Group

2 insurance policies on one car?

I have my own car, I'm the main driver and I have my mum as an additional driver. I wanted to add my sister to my insurance as a provisional driver, so she could practice in my car to pass her test.

However when I asked my insurance provider if I could add my sister to my policy I was refused. Probably because I'm only a new driver myself and my sister wouldn't be allowed to drive with only me as a passenger.

I don't want to change my insurance policy because I lose my NCB, so the only answer I can think of is to have my mum take out a separate policy as a main driver, with my sister as an additional driver.

I've read that you are allowed to have two policies on one car, but I still don't know whether this is a bit dodgy, given my mum would be insured on my car under two policies, one as a main, and one as an additional driver?
Reply 1
Original post by Twinpeaks
I have my own car, I'm the main driver and I have my mum as an additional driver. I wanted to add my sister to my insurance as a provisional driver, so she could practice in my car to pass her test.

However when I asked my insurance provider if I could add my sister to my policy I was refused. Probably because I'm only a new driver myself and my sister wouldn't be allowed to drive with only me as a passenger.

I don't want to change my insurance policy because I lose my NCB, so the only answer I can think of is to have my mum take out a separate policy as a main driver, with my sister as an additional driver.

I've read that you are allowed to have two policies on one car, but I still don't know whether this is a bit dodgy, given my mum would be insured on my car under two policies, one as a main, and one as an additional driver?

You may be able to use Marmalade Insurance (or similar) for learner drivers but check the conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you have two main drivers on a car (Even if it separate policies) =S Surely they'd pick up and not allow that..
Reply 3
Original post by Jackieox
How do you have two main drivers on a car (Even if it separate policies) =S Surely they'd pick up and not allow that..

Apparently you can have it :/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3332524
Reply 4

And the only poster on that thread who said you can, also said there's no point in doing it.

Again, look at Marmalade.
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
And the only poster on that thread who said you can, also said there's no point in doing it.

Again, look at Marmalade.

I don't think you read my OP properly to be honest. That person in the thread said there was no point in doing it because your no claims will be effected on both policies if a claim is made against the car, even if it's the other driver.

That's a completely different issue to mine. My issue is that I cannot currently add a provisional driver to my current policy. Yes, I can easily find another policy elsewhere which may allow me to add a provisional driver, but in doing so I'd have to end my current policy and lose my no claims bonus! That is why having the two separate policies may be beneficial in my circumstance?

I'm not asking about which insurance provider to go with, I can easily find that out using a price comparison site. But the point is, I don't want to change insurance yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Twinpeaks
I don't think you read my OP properly to be honest. That person in the thread said there was no point in doing it because your no claims will be effected on both policies if a claim is made against the car, even if it's the other driver.

That's a completely different issue to me. My issue is that I cannot currently add a provisional driver to my current policy. Yes, I can easily find another policy elsewhere, but in doing so I'd have to end my current policy and lose my no claims bonus! That is why having the two separate policies may be beneficial in my circumstance?

I'm not asking about which insurance provider to go with, I can easily find that out using a price comparison site. But the point is, I don't want to change insurance yet.

No, Marmalade is a 2nd policy for the Learner Driver only that sits on top of the existing policy.

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
No, Marmalade is a 2nd policy for the Learner Driver only that sits on top of the existing policy.

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance

Ooooooooooh okay. I'll take a look at that, thank you!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest