The Student Room Group

Best Sixth Forms In South London?

Hello there, I'm relatively new to The Student Room, and I would like some advice on which sixth form colleges are the best to attend in South London, as I unfortunately live too far from the ones I would have liked to attend the most such as Woodhouse and Latymer.

I would like to study Psychology for certain, as well as History and Physics, and perhaps Drama also if four subjects are offered. My target levels for all my chosen subjects are A*/A (unless it is a grade 7) and being fluent in Spanish myself, I completed my Spanish GCSE early, to which I earned an A*.

Please help me, as I am having no luck finding a good sixth form college to go to that I can travel to within a reasonable distance and amount of time, especially since I live in the south-east of London. I would not mind travelling for an hour or less, however I would appreciate finding a good sixth form college that is a half-hour travel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I would prefer to attend a co-educational sixth form with no tuitional fees. If I'm honest, there is a possibility I could work for a scholarship, but for the moment I would only like to look at free sixth forms. Thank you for the help!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

is it just a college u want to go to? i know schools in south east london that have good sixth forms...such as st olaves and newstead wood

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GoatWithAGoatee
Hello there, I'm relatively new to The Student Room, and I would like some advice on which sixth form colleges are the best to attend in South London, as I unfortunately live too far from the ones I would have liked to attend the most such as Woodhouse and Latymer.

I would like to study Psychology for certain, as well as History and Physics, and perhaps Drama also if four subjects are offered. My target levels for all my chosen subjects are A*/A (unless it is a grade 7) and being fluent in Spanish myself, I completed my Spanish GCSE early, to which I earned an A*.

Please help me, as I am having no luck finding a good sixth form college to go to that I can travel to within a reasonable distance and amount of time, especially since I live in the south-east of London. I would not mind travelling for an hour or less, however I would appreciate finding a good sixth form college that is a half-hour travel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

South west London has good such forms of you can travel to that part
nothing good in SLDN
Original post by bubblegumcat
is it just a college u want to go to? i know schools in south east london that have good sixth forms...such as st olaves and newstead wood

I would prefer it to be a sixth form college, however I wouldn't mind it being part of a school. Hm, maybe I'll look into St. Olave's and Newstead Wood then.
Original post by fksociety
nothing good in SLDN

Unfortunately that seems to be the case, looking at it.
Graveney is seems pretty good, but its overrated
Reply 7
Original post by SidTheSloth1

I can vouch for this :redface:
Original post by sazriah
I can vouch for this :redface:

In that case, I should consider it then!
Have a look at Esher College (especially!) and Richmond College :smile:
Original post by mysteriousiz
Have a look at Esher College (especially!) and Richmond College :smile:

Sure thing!
Original post by SidTheSloth1

lmao this is so true but yeah definitely check it out, believe they have open days/evenings this week

if you're on track for As/A*s at GCSE and travelling into central isn't too much of a trek, look into harris westminster, it's not for everyone but it's worth a look :smile:
edit: just saw you definitely want to do psychology, hwsf doesn't offer it but ik graveney does
(edited 7 years ago)
In that case, I should consider it then!

U should
Open day tomorrow
Graveney looked fantastic but I bumped into an old friend last year and she said she hated it.
Richmond or John Ruskin sounds good
I would prefer it to be a sixth form college, however I wouldn't mind it being part of a school. Hm, maybe I'll look into St. Olave's and Newstead Wood then.

i swore off hackney!
Harris Westminster if you don't mind going to school on Saturdays! And taking four subjects at A2.. :smile:
Original post by sazriah
Harris Westminster if you don't mind going to school on Saturdays! And taking four subjects at A2.. :smile:

I've heard good things about Harris Westminster, but unfortunately it's just a little bit too far from me to travel to every school day. :frown:
Unfortunately Graveney seems too far off from where I live, which is a shame since I've been hearing good things about the school itself. I would have liked to attend the open day tomorrow but because I have to be accompanied by an adult, I showed my parents the distance between where I live and the school on a map, to which they stated that it would be too far for me to travel to, and that I'd have to wake up at 5:30 in the morning if I ever wanted to get there on time every day. I'd prefer to get up between 6am and 7am, but it seems really difficult to find a good school that is within a comfortable range of distance and time to travel to.
Unfortunately Graveney seems too far off from where I live, which is a shame since I've been hearing good things about the school itself. I would have liked to attend the open day tomorrow but because I have to be accompanied by an adult, I showed my parents the distance between where I live and the school on a map, to which they stated that it would be too far for me to travel to, and that I'd have to wake up at 5:30 in the morning if I ever wanted to get there on time every day. I'd prefer to get up between 6am and 7am, but it seems really difficult to find a good school that is within a comfortable range of distance and time to travel to.

You could take the tube
Also whereabouts is ur current school
I know ppl who travel 1hr by bus to school
Original post by Starlight2000
You could take the tube
Also whereabouts is ur current school
I know ppl who travel 1hr by bus to school

My current school is unfortunately in the Lewisham borough; Graveney still seems like an option to me, but I have my doubts since my parents don't seem to think I'll be able to make it there by bus and/or tube in time. It seems that I would only be early if I was driven there, but my parents don't own one and would not be able to drive me there in the mornings.

Latest