The Student Room Group

McKinsey SHL Numerical and Verbal Reasoning Tests

Hi,

I have been invited to complete McKinsey's online SHL Verbal Reasoning and Numerical*Reasoning Tests.

I would like ask anyone who has done them, how many questions does the Verbal Reasoning Test contain and how many minutes is the test?

I would like to ask the exact same question about the Numerical Reasoning Test.

I would also like to ask if anyone has any advice of how to best prepare for the tests?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Hi! I received an invitation as well and I don't understand if they are like the PST or not. Did you take them already?
Original post by diana23diana
Hi! I received an invitation as well and I don't understand if they are like the PST or not. Did you take them already?

I have not taken them yet but will do before Monday.

Since I've not taken them yet I can't tell you for sure whether they are like the PST or not. However, I do not think that they will be like the PST. This is because I read that the PST is an in-person test whilst the online verbal and numerical reasoning tests that McKinsey have asked candidates to complete are online tests. The PST is to complete case interviews and I have not yet been invited to an interview.

Also McKinsey's PST coaching guide says that on this link below

http://www.durhamconsulting.co.uk/re...hing-Guide.pdf
says that
"you are not allowed to bring a calculator".
However, for the online tests complete, no would could stop anyone from using a calculator.

Therefore, I think that McKinsey's numerical and verbal reasoning tests are like those which all other companies who use SHL require applicants to do (and not like the PST)
Hey! Have you completed the tests already? If not, best of luck!!

Can you please tell me how are they like once you do them? I would be really grateful! Thank you!
Hey! Have you completed the tests already? If not, best of luck!!

Can you please tell me how are they like once you do them? I would be really grateful! Thank you!

I completed them last night. I think the verbal reasoning test was alright although a few questions on it were a little bit ambiguous.

However, I found the numerical reasoning test a bit harder. The questions in the beginning were alright. However, I spent a bit on time on some in the middle which required a few calculations to be done. So I ended up rushing and guessing the last 3-4 questions as I did not have sufficient time to do proper calculations on those.

I used graduatemonkey online verbal and numerical reasoning practice tests and tutorials to help me practice and I did find them quite helpful.
I hope you did good!

For the numerical one, how many questions were there and how much time? Did each question had like 1 minute to answer it or was it just an overall time? Thank you so much for sharing this!
I hope you did good!

For the numerical one, how many questions were there and how much time? Did each question had like 1 minute to answer it or was it just an overall time? Thank you so much for sharing this!

There are 18 questions in the numerical test and it was 18 minutes. It was just an overall time.
Thank you so much! I feel less stressed now. Good luck!!
Reply 9
Thank you so much! I feel less stressed now. Good luck!!

Are tests sent aftere your application is screened or automatically?

Im gnna do the tests today. How u find them?
Original post by gman888
Are tests sent aftere your application is screened or automatically?

Im gnna do the tests today. How u find them?

I applied for the Business Analyst job and the tests were sent after my application was screened. The reason I know this is because *submitted by application on the 16th of September and then on the 28th of September I got an email from McKinsey Recruiting Team saying

"Thank you for your recent application to McKinsey and Company. Your application for all offices that you have applied to will be reviewed post our deadline of 27 October 2016. We will let you know the outcome of your application on 10 November 2016. Some international offices may reach out to you prior to the deadline with their decision. As part of your application some offices may ask you to take an online test. You will receive a separate invitation if you are required to take the test and will have five days from receiving the invitation to complete it online. Good luck with your application!"

*And then on the 30th of September I got an email inviting me to do the online tests.

Which job did you apply for?
Personally I suggest assessmentest, some guys made screenshots of all test and built this site. You can download them directly.
Personally I think this is the best investment you could ever do, as anyone do not know this site! so:

1) you have a strong competitive advantage over all as the site is not popular;
2) you will have original test, same questions and same answers;
3) you can use them for so much all the best companies which uses them;
4) you do not waste time on preparation, practice and the stress of the screening process,
5) you can focus entirely on interview questions;
6) in case you should retake them another time, you could simply study them!

The only guarantee to success is this site! Some companies that make use these tests:
- Consulting: McKinsey, EY, KPMG, etc.
- Investment Banking: Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, HSBC, Citi, Barclays, UBS, Nomura Credit Suisse, Bank of America, Lazard, Evercore, etc.
- FMCG: Unilever, RB, etc. Good luck!

Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Malinskii
Personally I suggest assessmentest, some guys made screenshots of all test and built this site. You can download them directly.
Personally I think this is the best investment you could ever do, as anyone do not know this site! so:

1) you have a strong competitive advantage over all as the site is not popular;
2) you will have original test, same questions and same answers;
3) you can use them for so much all the best companies which uses them;
4) you do not waste time on preparation, practice and the stress of the screening process,
5) you can focus entirely on interview questions;
6) in case you should retake them another time, you could simply study them!

The only guarantee to success is this site! Some companies that make use these tests:
- Consulting: McKinsey, EY, KPMG, etc.
- Investment Banking: Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, HSBC, Citi, Barclays, UBS, Nomura Credit Suisse, Bank of America, Lazard, Evercore, etc.
- FMCG: Unilever, RB, etc. Good luck!

Attachment not found

Thank you very much! I bought that packs and I succeeded the test! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by jonnyx1
Thank you very much! I bought that packs and I succeeded the test! :smile:

Hey buddy, quick question. I've made my payment with the website as suggested, but there doesn't seem to be a link for me to download the papers. Would you be able to provide any guidance on this?

Thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by accident
Hey buddy, quick question. I've made my payment with the website as suggested, but there doesn't seem to be a link for me to download the papers. Would you be able to provide any guidance on this?

Thanks!

Sigh...

So you saw an obvious advertisement post from Malinskii, backed up by an equally obvious fake post from a brand new user Jonnyx1 (who is banned), and you decided this website looked legit?
Regarding the SHL Verbal Reasoning Test, I'm confused regarding a specific aspect of the decision between "false" and "can't say'".

To use a simple example for clarity, if the only relevant section of the text were to consist solely of the sentence:

Some of the trees in the forest are dead.

Then given the statement:

All trees in the forest are dead

Would this be "false", because the text says 'some' not 'all', or would it be "can't say", because if it is true that some of them are dead then this does not in itself exclude the possibility that the rest of them are also dead?

(the difference between 'Some (but not all) are dead' and 'Some are dead; in fact they all are')

What would your answer be? Many thanks :smile:
Reply 16
I did the SHL tests and I think I went very well, what is next in the McKinsey recruitment process?
Original post by verier
I did the SHL tests and I think I went very well, what is next in the McKinsey recruitment process?

They will screen your CV and choose the best CVs for the next round.
Reply 18
Original post by Ladbants
They will screen your CV and choose the best CVs for the next round.

thanks but what is exactly the next round?
I heard about a proprietary test which is very difficult
Reply 19
Being invited to the online assessments, does this mean I had my application screened or is it just a formality to invite all applicants for the online tests?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending