The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Desperately waiting for an offer from Warwick so I can concentrate on my trip to Europe. Since you got an offer, who give a **** to school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blancosdos
Does being Head boy affect your application negatively?
Answers please,would appreciate.

I've heard that :/ don't know why or how true it is but the guy from my school last year had literally perfect grades and everything and didn't even get an interview at Oxford!
Original post by cogito.
Desperately waiting for an offer from Warwick so I can concentrate on my trip to Europe. Since you got an offer, who give a **** to school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who's got an offer?!

:O
Does being Head boy affect your application negatively?
Answers please,would appreciate.

Original post by Lauren1498x
I've heard that :/ don't know why or how true it is but the guy from my school last year had literally perfect grades and everything and didn't even get an interview at Oxford!

Being head boy/girl has *no* impact on Oxbridge, positive or negative. They are only interested in academic performance. Your school colleague will have had an issue elsewhere in his application.

OP, other universities may view it as a small positive but never a negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Being head boy/girl has *no* impact on Oxbridge, positive or negative. They are only interested in academic performance. Your school colleague will have had an issue elsewhere in his application.

OP, other universities may view it as a small positive but never a negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats good. Btw,what happens if your school is a bad one,with gcse performance below the national average,does that get taken into account?I mean i got excellent grades(in comparison to my school) however i know my grades are not perceived to be as good for OXbridge.
Original post by charlie_rhia_x
Cambridge, Birmingham, Nottingham and Royal Holloway! Good luck with all of yours 😊

Hi from a fellow Cambridge English applicant! Which college have you gone for?

My other choices are Durham, UCL and Exeter :smile:)
Thats good. Btw,what happens if your school is a bad one,with gcse performance below the national average,does that get taken into account?I mean i got excellent grades(in comparison to my school) however i know my grades are not perceived to be as good for OXbridge.

Both Cambridge and Oxford assess the contextual data around your application.

e.g. Cambridge: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/contextual-data
Original post by asmuse123
You really want to go to Scotland, don't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some of us don't pay fees in Scotland :wink:
Original post by dorababy1995
Hi from a fellow Cambridge English applicant! Which college have you gone for?

My other choices are Durham, UCL and Exeter :smile:)

Hi! I'm applying to Queens', what about you? Good luck 😊 how are you feeling about the ELAT?
Original post by charlie_rhia_x
Hi! I'm applying to Queens', what about you? Good luck 😊 how are you feeling about the ELAT?

Wolfson for me (I'm 21). Well, I'd be stressing myself out to exhaustion, but there are no pre-interview tests at the mature colleges (except for medicine and maybe a few other subjects, but not English). Instead, I'll be taking a shorter version of the ELAT (i.e. a test similar to the ELAT, but with one/two passsages instead of six) on the day of the interview if I get an interview.
Original post by dorababy1995
Wolfson for me (I'm 21). Well, I'd be stressing myself out to exhaustion, but there are no pre-interview tests at the mature colleges (except for medicine and maybe a few other subjects, but not English). Instead, I'll be taking a shorter version of the ELAT (i.e. a test similar to the ELAT, but with one/two passsages instead of six) on the day of the interview if I get an interview.

Oh wow, I'm so worried about it so I envy you (I don't envy that you still have to do it though!) Good luck, I hope you get an interview and of course an offer!
Just received an acknowledgement email from LSE, telling me to wait 8-12 weeks basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cogito.
Just received an acknowledgement email from LSE, telling me to wait 8-12 weeks basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you apply for there? Hope I get one soon
Reply 593
I swear Warwick!!!
They said that they are going to send acknowledgments today!
But Nothing!
Just got an offer from Southampton to study History!!! I am so happy!!!! 1 down 4 to go!
Original post by BioOx
I swear Warwick!!!
They said that they are going to send acknowledgments today!
But Nothing!

What was their words?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lauren1498x
What did you apply for there? Hope I get one soon

Maths with Eco, applied last Friday. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cogito.
Maths with Eco, applied last Friday. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Government and history! I phoned them a couple days ago and they said don't Expect an offer until literally March so I guess it's a long wait!
Reply 598
Original post by cogito.
What was their words?

Posted from TSR Mobile

" We are going to send acknowledgments next Monday" "technical issues bla bla "

:l
Original post by BioOx
" We are going to send acknowledgments next Monday" "technical issues bla bla "

:l

Wait until 6pm then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest