The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Applied yesterday, feels great! Edinburgh were first to email which was nice, filled out the fee status determining survey, now we wait :colonhash:
Original post by isabella1999
I'm not sure, edinburghs always super competitive so if i guessed a minimum, probably around 680-690 but they would have to get like full personal statements and other academic marks... again this is just complete stipulation haha

No that sounds about right. Although you can afford to lose one more point elsewhere.
Thanks ! For getting back,gonna apply Glasgow uni and Dundee as well,apply next week,finger crossed.xxx
Reply 143
Are all applicants with a score of down to 37 immediately given offers before any left over spaces are given to those with 36? Or would 2 applicants with scores 37 and 36 be considered equally again?
Original post by zee_s
Are all applicants with a score of down to 37 immediately given offers before any left over spaces are given to those with 36? Or would 2 applicants with scores 37 and 36 be considered equally again?

No, they are then ranked by UKCAT scores. In fact, UK applicants with 37/40 have been rejected so a score of 38 is usually pretty safe.
Original post by studentsixth
No, they are then ranked by UKCAT scores. In fact, UK applicants with 37/40 have been rejected so a score of 38 is usually pretty safe.

Does anyone know of any rest of UK applicants who have been rejected with 38/40?
Reply 146
Original post by studentsixth

But would it be possible for someone with 36/40 to be given an offer and someone with 37 to not be given an offer??
Original post by zee_s
But would it be possible for someone with 36/40 to be given an offer and someone with 37 to not be given an offer??

A Scottish applicant with 36/40 could theoretically get an offer while an applicant from the rest of the UK could be rejected with 37/40 because they would be competing for a different set of places with different thresholds depending on the strength of the competition within their fee group. If you're talking about two English (or Welsh/N Irish) applicants, that wouldn't happen under the standard scoring system that Edinburgh publishes.

If both applicants were rejected and placed on the near miss waiting list, but the one with 37/40 had other med school offers while the one with 36/40 had four rejections, the one with 36/40 could gain a place through the waiting list if places opened up.
Reply 148
Original post by WildMeraki
A Scottish applicant with 36/40 could theoretically get an offer while an applicant from the rest of the UK could be rejected with 37/40 because they would be competing for a different set of places with different thresholds depending on the strength of the competition within their fee group. If you're talking about two English (or Welsh/N Irish) applicants, that wouldn't happen under the standard scoring system that Edinburgh publishes.

If both applicants were rejected and placed on the near miss waiting list, but the one with 37/40 had other med school offers while the one with 36/40 had four rejections, the one with 36/40 could gain a place through the waiting list if places opened up.

Do you think it's possible for an English applicant to get in with 36 and also is it likely that places open up if people choose other med schools??
Original post by zee_s
Do you think it's possible for an English applicant to get in with 36 and also is it likely that places open up if people choose other med schools??

Probably unlikely unless through the waiting list but even then, favour will go to scottish applicants and UK applicants with 37/40 who have missed the shortlist.
Wondering if anyone knows how competive my application would be:

Nat 5s: 7A's & B
Highers: 5As (maths, chemistry, physics, spanish french)
Predicted: 4As (AH chemistry, AH maths, AH physics, H biology)
UKCAT: 2050
SJT: Band 1
Extra curriculum: work experience, befriending & volunteering.

I'm slightly concerned about not having done higher biology until now, and my lack of any extra curriculum activities that really stand out. I think I reflected on what I've done well.
Original post by Patryk_
Wondering if anyone knows how competive my application would be:

Nat 5s: 7A's & B
Highers: 5As (maths, chemistry, physics, spanish french)
Predicted: 4As (AH chemistry, AH maths, AH physics, H biology)
UKCAT: 2050
SJT: Band 1
Extra curriculum: work experience, befriending & volunteering.

I'm slightly concerned about not having done higher biology until now, and my lack of any extra curriculum activities that really stand out. I think I reflected on what I've done well.

Depends what your B was in at Nat 5 (and also what the UKCAT octiles are, but we'll assume they are similar to last year and the year before!)
Original post by GANFYD
Depends what your B was in at Nat 5 (and also what the UKCAT octiles are, but we'll assume they are similar to last year and the year before!)

The B was modern studies, and I believe I'd be in the top octalie, since last year the top octile was 3600-2900, and since the average is a bit lower, I'm assuming the top octile will be somewhere around 1990.
1970 in the ukcat... don't know how to feel
Original post by Marina Stomeo
1970 in the ukcat... don't know how to feel

Have you already applied to Edinburgh? I happened to see you in the King's thread and saw that you had Band 3 in the STJ. That alone pretty much destroys anyone's chances at Edinburgh so if you haven't applied yet, I'd strongly encourage you to choose another uni where you'll have a better chance :frown:
Original post by Patryk_
The B was modern studies, and I believe I'd be in the top octalie, since last year the top octile was 3600-2900, and since the average is a bit lower, I'm assuming the top octile will be somewhere around 1990.

1990 is the 7th decile in this years UKCAT scores. Last year, that would have corresponded to 2660, which fell in the 4th octile of Edinburgh's scoring system. I would be surprised if there was that much change this year that the 7th decile corresponded to the top octile. For the last 2 years (the period they have been using octiles), the start of the 9th decile has only ever fallen in about the middle of the 2nd octile at Edinburgh.

You score would have fallen in about the middle of the 3rd octile in the last 2 years, which is probably where it will fall this year, although I think they judge it against all their applicants rather than the UKCAT deciles themselves. Your academics should score full marks, you may well lose 2 for UKCAT, so as a Scottish applicant, hopefully a score of 36 should be enough so you have a bit to play with with your PS (6 points available and would need 4ish!). Good luck!
Original post by GANFYD
1990 is the 7th decile in this years UKCAT scores. Last year, that would have corresponded to 2660, which fell in the 4th octile of Edinburgh's scoring system. I would be surprised if there was that much change this year that the 7th decile corresponded to the top octile. For the last 2 years (the period they have been using octiles), the start of the 9th decile has only ever fallen in about the middle of the 2nd octile at Edinburgh.

You score would have fallen in about the middle of the 3rd octile in the last 2 years, which is probably where it will fall this year, although I think they judge it against all their applicants rather than the UKCAT deciles themselves. Your academics should score full marks, you may well lose 2 for UKCAT, so as a Scottish applicant, hopefully a score of 36 should be enough so you have a bit to play with with your PS (6 points available and would need 4ish!). Good luck!

In this document ( http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2015_0.pdf ) it says that in 2015 the top octile was between 3600-2880 which means that it would be 1980 without DA, and it's possible it'd be lower because the average is lower than last year.

Or I'm I being stupid and not accounting for something really obvious?
Original post by GANFYD

i think you slightly misunderstood me, I got 2050 not 1990, however in 2016 the top octalie was 3600-2900, which would be 2700-2000 this year, or even lower considering the lower average, so wouldn't that mean I'm likely to be in the top octalie. Or I'm I just being stupid and overlooking something?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Patryk_
which would be 2700-2000 this year

It would be 2700-2175? wouldn't it? not considering changes in average, anyway...

If the lowest in the top octile last year was average 725, this average could be applied to this years as well? giving 2175
Original post by Docjones1
It would be 2700-2175? wouldn't it? not considering changes in average, anyway...

If the lowest in the top octile last year was average 725, this average could be applied to this years as well? giving 2175

However each subtest is worth 900, so if you remove DA from 2900, you'd get 2000.

Latest

Trending

Trending