The Student Room Group

How to choose a realistic Insurance?

I am predicted A*AA and looking to do Mathematics.

The entry requirements of the 5 I want to go to are

A*A*A/A*AA
AAA x2
AAB x2

Should I go lower, maybe pick an ABB or are my targets realistic. I know there's a lot of people worrying but I just need either reassurance or a reality check. My GCSE's are quite poor but I did well at AS and hoping to do even better at A2.
I think those are fine. If you are predicted A*AA and the prediction isn't too optimistic it should be fine to have AAB as insurance. If you really want to go safe pick one ABB and one AAB :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by IcedArizona
I think those are fine. If you are predicted A*AA and the prediction isn't too optimistic it should be fine to have AAB as insurance. If you really want to go safe pick one ABB and one AAB :smile:

A*AA isn't too optimistic considering I got AAA in these subjects at AS. But yes, I will take that into consideration.
Thanks for your help.
Reply 3
firm - A*AA
insurance - AAA

the chances are that if you get AAB then your insurance will still accept you anyways

for example i go to nottingham and i know someone who got a B in further maths A-level and were still accepted....just make sure you get an A in maths
someone else I know had an offer from liverpool for ABB and got ABD and still got in...
Reply 4
Original post by fefssdf
firm - A*AA
insurance - AAA

the chances are that if you get AAB then your insurance will still accept you anyways

for example i go to nottingham and i know someone who got a B in further maths A-level and were still accepted....just make sure you get an A in maths
someone else I know had an offer from liverpool for ABB and got ABD and still got in...

Thanks for info. How is Nottingham? I'm applying there and really enjoyed it on the open day.
Reply 5
Original post by sammygmfc
Thanks for info. How is Nottingham? I'm applying there and really enjoyed it on the open day.

coming to nottingham is honestly been the best decision I've ever made; i;ve been here 2 weeks and I've had so much fun. freshers week was really well organised meaning i went out 6 nights in a row and all my lecturers have been really enthusiastic and helpful and the maths department itself in terms of facilities is really impressive and better than most unis... besides the course nottingham just opened up their new £40 million sports centre which is like 2 mins from my hall and so if you're into sports its probably the best uni to go to now when it comes to access to amazing facilities and the campus is 300 acres and very green and has a lake i mean what more could you ask for lol
I haven't applied to any that are ABB, because you could always just apply to those kinds of universities in clearing if you really had to. Better to use your choices on universities you actually want to go to.
Reply 7
Original post by fefssdf
coming to nottingham is honestly been the best decision I've ever made; i;ve been here 2 weeks and I've had so much fun. freshers week was really well organised meaning i went out 6 nights in a row and all my lecturers have been really enthusiastic and helpful and the maths department itself in terms of facilities is really impressive and better than most unis... besides the course nottingham just opened up their new £40 million sports centre which is like 2 mins from my hall and so if you're into sports its probably the best uni to go to now when it comes to access to amazing facilities and the campus is 300 acres and very green and has a lake i mean what more could you ask for lol

Brilliant. Thanks for the useful info. Glad you are enjoying it.

Original post by Abstract_Prism
I haven't applied to any that are ABB, because you could always just apply to those kinds of universities in clearing if you really had to. Better to use your choices on universities you actually want to go to.

Very useful advice and convinced me that perhaps I am making the right decision. Thanks.
Reply 8
I chose an ABB course as my insurance for my UCAS application and I'm predicted A*A*A, but that's because my course is quite niche ☺️. I would definitely put an AAB as insurance if you have modular subjects because then you're halfway there already, as someone above said also- most ABB courses will be in clearing if it comes to it, I'm just overly cautious and put one on mine straight away. Best of luck for your application!
Reply 9
Original post by NMcG
I chose an ABB course as my insurance for my UCAS application and I'm predicted A*A*A, but that's because my course is quite niche ☺️. I would definitely put an AAB as insurance if you have modular subjects because then you're halfway there already, as someone above said also- most ABB courses will be in clearing if it comes to it, I'm just overly cautious and put one on mine straight away. Best of luck for your application!

Yeah. Definitely makes sense in your case. 2 of my 3 subjects are modular and so would make sense. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending