The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Guys is 717 average score worth it to apply for GEM at Newcastle...?
Hopefully the cut off isn't higher than 710
What are all your A-Levels like?

And is anyone studying in NCL already/a NCL grad? :smile:
Original post by nickynjoe
Due to the mean scores being published today at 1893, does anyone have any more information/advice on what they suspect the cut off could be for medicine at Newcastle??? :smile:

I reckon around 730 again
Original post by Nautic4l

How can you say that though? There is absolutely no way of knowing
Original post by eidchloe1303
VR: 590
QR:700
AR: 640
so total of 1930 which is awful
Band 1 in SJ which I'm happy about but does Newcastle even look at that?
My gcse grades aren't the best either with 5 A's and 6 B's. Currently have predicted A's in my a levels but I really wanted to get an interview for Newcastle but there is no way ill even be considered with that ukcat score:frown:
Is the ukcat literally all that Newcastle looks at for interviews? I dont know what to do

You should still stand a good chance and consider applying considering that the averages have gone down to 1893 which puts you in the higher half of applicants

Definitely won't be that for undergraduate entry. Maybe for their GEP, though, but I believe there is a separate thread for that.
Reply 147
Does anyone know if the entry requirements for graduates for A100 is the same as A101? For their 4 year course (A101), they only look at your university degree and UKCAT score rather than your A Levels.

Unfortunately, I did not take A Level Chemistry so I don't believe I would meet the standard A100 requirements?
Original post by SB001
Does anyone know if the entry requirements for graduates for A100 is the same as A101? For their 4 year course (A101), they only look at your university degree and UKCAT score rather than your A Levels.

Unfortunately, I did not take A Level Chemistry so I don't believe I would meet the standard A100 requirements?

If you got AAA including biology at A level you need an A in GCSE chemistry.
"if only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A)."
Reply 149

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ukcat_threshold_20162017_for_a10

Last years was 682, the average has gone down this year.
Original post by Docjones1
If you got AAA including biology at A level you need an A in GCSE chemistry.
"if only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A)."

I'm a graduate applying to the undergrad course (who happens to be doing my undergrad at ncl already!) and they don't look at your a levels at all if you have a degree. What's your degree in? If it's not Chem inclusive or science based it'd be best to call the admissions team and have a chat to them. Don't worry, they're super friendly! 🙂
Original post by AZ98

To be honest it has nothing to do with the national average. It's all based on the scores of those who apply to Newcastle...if everyone who applies has 800+ then the cut off will be 800+ even if the national average is 500. Obviously that's a hugely exaggerated number but you see my point.

Just chill out and make your own decisions; don't listen to fear mongering and speculation and remember that most people on here who are willing to post their score have a high one. It's all in the lap of the gods really 🙂
What are all your A-Levels like?

And is anyone studying in NCL already/a NCL grad? :smile:

I'm just finishing up my Biomed degree at Newcastle; applying to stay here for my medical degree. I'm pretty well versed in all the admin procedures/policies so if you've got any questions about that or about the uni/med school/anything else then just ask! 🙂

It was never 730...
Original post by SB001

They look at your highest level qualification, so just your degree would suffice!
Original post by wg2398
Hi, I'd love to apply for Newcastle but not sure whether it's worth it or not as my UKCAT isn't great?
GCSE's: 9A* and 3A
AS results: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Religious Studies)
UKCAT: 650 average (VR 530, QR 710, AR 700, SJT Band 2)

Would it be a wasted application or would I stand a chance of an interview? Thanks!

Probably a waste, wouldn't risk it it with a UKCAT sub 700
Could I apply here with 683 UKCAT band 1
Original post by Harpal10
Could I apply here with 683 UKCAT band 1

I reckon youd be in for a chance but it wouldnt be a safe bet....no way of telling who's applying with what UKCAT but i'm being cautiously optimistic as the overall average has dropped this year. Remember, they dont look at SJT so it doesnt matter what band you are
Original post by AZ98

Original post by Member1995
It was never 730...

Talking about A101 sorry!
Original post by greenfeather
I'm just finishing up my Biomed degree at Newcastle; applying to stay here for my medical degree. I'm pretty well versed in all the admin procedures/policies so if you've got any questions about that or about the uni/med school/anything else then just ask! 🙂

Awesome! I'm a Grad applicant also - but in Year 2 now. What sort of work experience/volunteering do you have? And what sort of societies have you joined at uni? :smile: you can PM me if you like so we don't derail this thread!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending