The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get into Southampton university

I am sending my uni application off this week and my top choice is Southampton uiversity to study the dual nursing degree in childrens and adults nursing. the entry requirement is ABB. I have finished college and taking a gap year, my results are BB in Health and Social and D in sociology, but I will have quit a bit of experience. I am currently working as a healthcare assistant and next year I will be doing 6 months volunteering abroad in hospitals, orphanages, schools, some things with animals and sight seeing but mainly i'm in hospitals around Africa and Asia. I hear Southhampton is really hard to get into so I was just wondering if there was any point in me applying to Southampton, does anyone think I have a chance or should I save that spot for a different university.
Original post by katie.anne
I am sending my uni application off this week and my top choice is Southampton uiversity to study the dual nursing degree in childrens and adults nursing. the entry requirement is ABB. I have finished college and taking a gap year, my results are BB in Health and Social and D in sociology, but I will have quit a bit of experience. I am currently working as a healthcare assistant and next year I will be doing 6 months volunteering abroad in hospitals, orphanages, schools, some things with animals and sight seeing but mainly i'm in hospitals around Africa and Asia. I hear Southhampton is really hard to get into so I was just wondering if there was any point in me applying to Southampton, does anyone think I have a chance or should I save that spot for a different university.

Moved into the Nursing and Midwifery section :smile:
BBD is significantly lower than ABB. Although experience is beneficial, you would still need to meet the grade requirements. This is a very competitive course with very few places available so it would be very unlikely that you would receive an offer. You already have your results so there really is no point applying to any universities which have higher requirements than the qualifications you already have, unless you are resitting subjects this year. I would also query whether universities would accept either your subjects as a science, as some do not consider Health and Social Care or Sociology as a science, so make sure to fully check the entry requirements before submitting choices.

There really is very little benefit to applying for dual registration degrees. There are very few areas of nursing where you would deal with all age groups, and even then, single registration would certainly not be a barrier to accessing these jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending