The Student Room Group

Gymnast Louis Smith mocks Islam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoshDawg

What a brilliant video! It sums up my attitude perfectly, and should be required watching for all student union members and SJWs of all ages.
Reply 81

British Gymnastics statement:
https://www.british-gymnastics.org/news-and-events/news/latest-news/6721-statement
"We would like to make our position known with regards to media reports involving Louis Smith and Luke Carson.
British Gymnastics does not condone the mocking of any faith or religion and is appalled by such behaviours. Gymnastics is an inclusive sport and we are proud of members who portray the inclusive values of British Gymnastics. Members who break our code of conduct can face suspension or expulsion from our organisation. We will be investigating the behaviours reported."

Followed by apologies from Louis Smith and Luke Carson.

Louis

Spoiler

Luke
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JoshDawg
[video="youtube;5AkAGc5nOXw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AkAGc5nOXw[/video]

Racist etc lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by catholicgirl
If religion is fair game then ALL topics should be fair game.
So you think that mocking someone for their choice of football team, and mocking them for their skin colour are comparable and equally acceptable?
Wow!
So what? They did some mock bowing and so on. Why do Muslims have to take themselves so bloody seriously?
Reply 85
The point I was ACTUALLY trying to make was that you should not mock something that is alien to you (that you cannot relate to). Those of you who think you can mock someones religion are seriously lacking in morals and need to take a long look at yourself. I am a Catholic and I don't mock atheists. I am smart enough and educated enough to know that we live in a world of differing beliefs that should be RESPECTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So we should not mock a person's beliefs, no matter how ridiculous?
As Sam Harris said... [Religion] allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions what only lunatics could believe on their own.
If you wake up tomorrow morning thinking that saying a few Latin words over your pancakes is going to turn them into the body of Elvis Presley, you have lost your mind. But if you think more or less the same thing about a cracker and the body of Jesus, you’re just a Catholic.”
Reply 86
Original post by AlexanderHam
So what? They did some mock bowing and so on. Why do Muslims have to take themselves so bloody seriously?
I'd love some celebrity is this kind of situation, rather than issuing the usual mealy mouthed, PR scripted apology, to come back with "Yeah, I took the piss a bit, but have you read some of the stuff they believe? It's proper bonkers!"

They'd get more respect from the wider population, but probably more death threats as well. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.
Original post by QE2
I'd love some celebrity is this kind of situation, rather than issuing the usual mealy mouthed, PR scripted apology, to come back with "Yeah, I took the piss a bit, but have you read some of the stuff they believe? It's proper bonkers!"

They'd get more respect from the wider population, but probably more death threats as well. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

So true. Can you imagine if there would be an outcry if he did some mock praying or told that joke about Jesus on the cross saying to St Peter "I can see your house from here" and mimicing Jesus on the cross with the nails in his hands? Nobody would give a crap.

This comes down to sponsors having a great deal of sensitivity about how this might play in the Saudi/Emirati market (a big money spinner for sports clothing, trainers etc) and also probably a sensible fear that some madman might try to stab him or blow him up.

I can't remember anyone trying to kill John Cleese over the Life of Brian, even though many Christians were extremely offended. I guess that shows you how things stand
Its interesting how if someone criticises Hinduism or Judaism or Christianity, pretty much nobody bats on eyelid. If it's Islam though, there's uproars, protests and death threats lmao.
Reply 89
If this was Mohammad Farah mocking another religion you wouldn't hear the end of it.
Original post by jneill
British Gymnastics statement:
https://www.british-gymnastics.org/news-and-events/news/latest-news/6721-statement
"We would like to make our position known with regards to media reports involving Louis Smith and Luke Carson.
British Gymnastics does not condone the mocking of any faith or religion and is appalled by such behaviours. Gymnastics is an inclusive sport and we are proud of members who portray the inclusive values of British Gymnastics. Members who break our code of conduct can face suspension or expulsion from our organisation. We will be investigating the behaviours reported."

Followed by apologies from Louis Smith and Luke Carson.

Louis

Spoiler

Luke
Attachment not found

Pathetic that he apologised. Guess he doesn't want to end up like Charlie Hebdo though so.....
Original post by AlexanderHam

PRSOM. Islam is a young, insecure religion that is terrified of the world becoming more and more secular and the ways of 7th century Arabs slowly being abandoned. It's like a dying animal lashing out in its death throes.
Original post by Rk2k14
If this was Mohammad Farah mocking another religion you wouldn't hear the end of it.

Err, what? People mock other religions all the time; Christianity is ceaselessly mocked and rightly so. The only religion that can't take any mocking or criticism, the only religion that starts beheading people and blowing stuff up when someone draws a cartoon, is Islam.

"If Mo Farah mocked other religions you wouldn't hear the ed of it". You genuinely believe that, don't you? Your obsession with victimhood is beyond pathetic
[In a sarcastic tone] OK then. We should also mock homosexuals and transgender people. While we are at it we should also mock disabled people and people with life threatening illness.

Are you suggesting that mocking homosexuality is equivalent to mocking an ideology?

People have been mocking Christianity for years, ever since Life of Brian, so why are all you political correctos / liberals so butt hurt if someone mocks Islam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
[video="youtube;eimGCnKxL54"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimGCnKxL54[/video]

It seems to escape your attention that he has been coerced by the threat of having his funding removed by Sport UK. That doesn't make his behaviour wrong. It just means that that body disapproves of it, presumably because some religious wowser is in a place of influence within it.

He was vigorously and rightly defended by Matthew Syed, Sports Journalist of the Year and the son of an Islamic apostate, in The Times on Tuesday

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/punishing-smith-would-be-an-attack-on-free-speech-7jwcnp2tq
Reply 97
Original post by Mathemagicien
Except Islam isn't dying; it is stronger than it has been for many hundreds of years, and only gaining strength.

How?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by Mathemagicien
High birth rates.

lol Sweden.
Louis there, proving that as ever Islam truly is the religion of forgiveness and peace.

Quick Reply

Latest