The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AA004
Hey everyone, I'm currently in the process of applying to UCL's IoE for the PGCE Language course for Secondary years. I literally just signed up to TSR five minutes ago so apologises for the rookie message.I just wanted to know if there were any other applicants out there or trainees who are currently undertaking the language pgce - and if so, would anyone be able to advise me on what to do for a successful application/what is expected if successful/interview questions usually asked regarding Language/Presentation and so on. Basically, the lot.I'd really appreciate any responses!Thanks a bunch.

I'm applying for a language PGCE (Mandarin and French) but at the University of Sheffield.

I applied to UCL IoE last year but was rejected*
Reply 101
ah that sucks! something better in it for you perhaps!
what was your degree in?
Original post by AA004
ah that sucks! something better in it for you perhaps!
what was your degree in?

I did Chinese with Japanese at Sheffield at undergrad. Absolutely loved it there so hopefully I get accepted this time round.

Don't know why I applied for UCL tbh-I absolutely hate London :/*
Reply 103
loooool fair enough. do you think i could apply for a language pgce without having done it at degree level? i did modules in arabic and urdu and really want to become a teacher in either.
Original post by AA004
loooool fair enough. do you think i could apply for a language pgce without having done it at degree level? i did modules in arabic and urdu and really want to become a teacher in either.

Having French or Spanish at A Level would seriously help as they are offered at the vast majority of secondary schools, unlike Mandarin or Arabic. It's the reason I'm applying for both French and Chinese-last year I got rejected from Sheffield for PGCE Chinese due to no placements. Got rejected from UCL for not being a native speaker.

Thy may expect you to do a knowledge enhancement course in a European language to ensure you can actually get a place somewhere.

Also, could you please quote me when you reply to me as I don't get notifications that you're replying to me currently *
Reply 105
Original post by super_kawaii
Having French or Spanish at A Level would seriously help as they are offered at the vast majority of secondary schools, unlike Mandarin or Arabic. It's the reason I'm applying for both French and Chinese-last year I got rejected from Sheffield for PGCE Chinese due to no placements. Got rejected from UCL for not being a native speaker.

Thy may expect you to do a knowledge enhancement course in a European language to ensure you can actually get a place somewhere.

Also, could you please quote me when you reply to me as I don't get notifications that you're replying to me currently *

Sorry, new to this!

I have a crap feeling I'm not about to get the place :biggrin: - as i haven't done any of the European languages - and I'm pretty sure english a level wouldn't count. I don't mind doing an SKE, but I'm seriously hoping a placement opens up somewhere.
Hello! I am intending to apply this October to begin teacher training in September 2017 in Secondary History. I thought I would sign up and say hello! I am trying to get more school experience at the moment and am about to start my Personal Statement. I want to get my application in as quickly as possible because I know that History places go quickly. I am struggling to know how to start my Personal Statement - ie. the actual opening sentence - and was wondering what others had started with! Also, does anyone know if the teacher training bursaries for 2017-18 are going to be the same as for 2016-17?
Hello. I am student in university of Iran looking for migration to here. in your opinion is it possible?
Reply 108
Original post by Findlay6
I'm pretty sure, you can ask for a reference after 10 days of being there (for any reference)
As that's the minimum UCAS require, it would be silly if they didn't offer references.

UCAS requires 10 days of observation for the school to write a reference!? I did not realise that.. I'm doing a weeks observation and was hoping they would write the reference for me
Original post by vb23
UCAS requires 10 days of observation for the school to write a reference!? I did not realise that.. I'm doing a weeks observation and was hoping they would write the reference for me

Ucas wants 10 days minimum.

You can ask for a reference from any job after 10 days.
Hi there everyone, I am a Canadian looking at doing his PGCE in the U.K. either September of 2017 or 2018 and trying to decide on which universities to apply too. I have picked my top 5 on the whatuni.com website but I know I have to pick at least 3 to apply to on the UCAS website. So just wanting some advice from either past graduates or current students at these universities as to why you think your PGCE program is better than the others? Also wanting to know if you would recommend your Uni's PGCE program or not and why you would or wouldn't.Any feedback, short, long, detailed, straight to the point, etc would be greatly appreciated. My Top 5 University am considering applying to are as follows:1.St.Mary's University, Twickenham London2.University of Birmingham3.Durham University4.University of Southampton5.Cambridge UniversityOther potential targets are: The University of Manchester, Reading University, and University of Sunderland.
Original post by Giggs111989
Hi there everyone, I am a Canadian looking at doing his PGCE in the U.K. either September of 2017 or 2018 and trying to decide on which universities to apply too. I have picked my top 5 on the whatuni.com website but I know I have to pick at least 3 to apply to on the UCAS website. So just wanting some advice from either past graduates or current students at these universities as to why you think your PGCE program is better than the others? Also wanting to know if you would recommend your Uni's PGCE program or not and why you would or wouldn't.Any feedback, short, long, detailed, straight to the point, etc would be greatly appreciated. My Top 5 University am considering applying to are as follows:1.St.Mary's University, Twickenham London2.University of Birmingham3.Durham University4.University of Southampton5.Cambridge UniversityOther potential targets are: The University of Manchester, Reading University, and University of Sunderland.

For PGCE applications you have a maximum of three choices in your first application. You can only apply to more, albeit only one by one, if you receive rejections from all of your original choices or you turn them all down.
Looking to apply for PGCE secondary geography for 2017 entry :smile:
I'm really struggling to find time to fit in work experience with lectures, coursework, revision, volunteering and my dissertation! Anyone else having this problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
Hi,
I am applying for a primary PGCE. However I am in a bit of a tricky situation as was wondering if anyone could help.
So I am currently in my third year of children's nursing. When I was in sixth form, I was choosing between primary teaching and nursing and I chose nursing which I unfortunately realised was the wrong degree for me. At one point, I tried changing courses but Student finance said they would only fund me 2 years so I decided to stick with nursing and then apply for a PGCE after. I know teaching is definitely what I want to do and have lots of school experience both primary and secondary. Also I've done a TEFL qualification and taught abroad. My only problem is I am worried about getting my reference from uni as understandably it is the expectation that we will do nursing. I don't want it to jeopardise my application or my final year at uni. So can anyone suggest the best way about asking for this reference or is it possible to have 2 references from work? Rather than have a reference from uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nadinelia11
Looking to apply for PGCE secondary geography for 2017 entry :smile:
I'm really struggling to find time to fit in work experience with lectures, coursework, revision, volunteering and my dissertation! Anyone else having this problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for Geography too - where are you looking at?
And yes 3rd year is definitely hectic already! But I'm sure it will all work out :smile:
I'm potentially going to apply for a maths PGCE, but my undergraduate is in history... Is anyone else in a similar position?

Thanks!
Original post by girlygiggle
I'm applying for Geography too - where are you looking at?
And yes 3rd year is definitely hectic already! But I'm sure it will all work out :smile:

Hey! I'm looking at UWTSD in swansea but not sure where else atm! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hopefully applying for secondary mathematics, but I'm really struggling to find a school to get experience in. They keep ignoring my emails. :frown:

Original post by Findlay6
Ucas wants 10 days minimum.

You can ask for a reference from any job after 10 days.

Where does it say this?

I have just spoken to Jane on the teacher training phone number at UCAS and she said UCAS do not require this?
(edited 7 years ago)
When's the deadline?
Original post by rayquaza17
I'm hopefully applying for secondary mathematics, but I'm really struggling to find a school to get experience in. They keep ignoring my emails. :frown:

Where does it say this?

I have just spoken to Jane on the teacher training phone number at UCAS and she said UCAS do not require this?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/getting-started/ucas-teacher-training-entry-requirements

Non-academic requirements.
"Most providers ask for you to have at least two weeks’ classroom experience before you begin teacher training. While it is not essential to have this experience, it is recommended that you get some form of classroom experience. "

2 weeks, is 10 days in a school.
You're applying for a shortage subject but should still aim to be the best candidate.
If you don't have experience by the time you attend your interview, you may be offered a conditional offer until you get some.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending