The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DamnDaniel2
Oh ok :smile: thank you!

So would preparing in year 12 be fine? Or is that way too early?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no harm in looking, especially at STEP I, at this stage but don't do too much or let it intimidate you - it's going to look pretty hard to start, especially early in Year 12.
Hi, I understand that I've already asked a few questions but I thought of another one.

At my school, it appears to be the norm for people to do only three A-Levels as they are now linear. Until today I have been doing four: maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I was enjoying all of them but considered that I might be spreading myself too thinly overall, along with my extra curricular activities and such. Officially speaking, I have not signed any paperwork to say that I have totally dropped it, and I have in fact been given the option to continue with it but leave it at AS level. Would there be any benefits to me taking this AS in physics as a an additional thing? It may be worth mentioning again that I am interested in reading either natural sciences or medicine at Cambridge.

At the moment I am feeling rather confused about dropping it. I thought that I would feel a lot better, with more free time to focus on my other subjects but there is something strangely negative-feeling about me dropping it. Would my subjects without physics AS suffice and would it be worth the extra effort?
Original post by AdHominem
Hi, I understand that I've already asked a few questions but I thought of another one.

At my school, it appears to be the norm for people to do only three A-Levels as they are now linear. Until today I have been doing four: maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I was enjoying all of them but considered that I might be spreading myself too thinly overall, along with my extra curricular activities and such. Officially speaking, I have not signed any paperwork to say that I have totally dropped it, and I have in fact been given the option to continue with it but leave it at AS level. Would there be any benefits to me taking this AS in physics as a an additional thing? It may be worth mentioning again that I am interested in reading either natural sciences or medicine at Cambridge.

At the moment I am feeling rather confused about dropping it. I thought that I would feel a lot better, with more free time to focus on my other subjects but there is something strangely negative-feeling about me dropping it. Would my subjects without physics AS suffice and would it be worth the extra effort?

Your subjects are perfectly fine for Medicine or Bio Natural Sciences at the moment but the addition of Physics to AS would certainly not hurt and would, in the case of Medicine, be good preparation as medical students often find the more physical science part of the tripos most difficult. In the end, though, it's your decision.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
There's no harm in looking, especially at STEP I, at this stage but don't do too much or let it intimidate you - it's going to look pretty hard to start, especially early in Year 12.

Ok! :smile: im just trying to quickly finish all my maths modules by November so I have enough time to practise them as well as have a lot of time to do STEP practise.

I was also wondering for a PS for maths, is it an advantage to do maths competitions? I know not all applicants will have them but I've seen lots have and lots have gotten a gold etc. But my previous secondary school didn't do any maths competitions and my new sixth form don't do any maths competitions as they mainly think about med/dentistry/veterinary science applicants so I haven't done a competition.

Would teaching maths to underprivileged kids abroad as well as reading maths books and having a channel that has maths tutorials be good for a PS?
I might be going to 1-2 maths lectures (one in Oxford and another in Surrey I believe).
Of course I just won't be listing but will say what I learnt throughout these things I have done etc.

But I'm just so confused about what to do especially because my PS needs to be really good as my GCSEs are weak compared to Cambridge standard but high compared to the school I had attended!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your subjects are perfectly fine for Medicine or Bio Natural Sciences at the moment but the addition of Physics to AS would certainly not hurt and would, in the case of Medicine, be good preparation as medical students often find the more physical science part of the tripos most difficult. In the end, though, it's your decision.

Thank you for all of your replies. They have been most helpful. This one in particular has truly made me rethink whether or not dropping it was the best of ideas.

Do you mind me asking if doing it to AS level will enable me to take it as part of the natural sciences tripos, or would it have to be the full A-Level? How much of a factor will the endorsement of practical skills play in the offer of a place at Cambridge to do a science course? In addition, how can we ask questions of this nature when there are none of these Q&As at the time on the student room?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Ok! :smile: im just trying to quickly finish all my maths modules by November so I have enough time to practise them as well as have a lot of time to do STEP practise.

I was also wondering for a PS for maths, is it an advantage to do maths competitions? I know not all applicants will have them but I've seen lots have and lots have gotten a gold etc. But my previous secondary school didn't do any maths competitions and my new sixth form don't do any maths competitions as they mainly think about med/dentistry/veterinary science applicants so I haven't done a competition.

Would teaching maths to underprivileged kids abroad as well as reading maths books and having a channel that has maths tutorials be good for a PS?
I might be going to 1-2 maths lectures (one in Oxford and another in Surrey I believe).
Of course I just won't be listing but will say what I learnt throughout these things I have done etc.

But I'm just so confused about what to do especially because my PS needs to be really good as my GCSEs are weak compared to Cambridge standard but high compared to the school I had attended!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no need to do competitions, though they are good to do if you can but if they aren't easily available there's really no need to worry. The PS isn't really very important for Maths at Cambridge but the things you mention will certainly stand you in good stead elsewhere. Don't worry too much about your GCSEs, for Maths all that matters is how good you are at Maths, nothing else.
Original post by AdHominem
Thank you for all of your replies. They have been most helpful. This one in particular has truly made me rethink whether or not dropping it was the best of ideas.

Do you mind me asking if doing it to AS level will enable me to take it as part of the natural sciences tripos, or would it have to be the full A-Level? How much of a factor will the endorsement of practical skills play in the offer of a place at Cambridge to do a science course? In addition, how can we ask questions of this nature when there are none of these Q&As at the time on the student room?

The requirements for Part IA of Nat Sci are on the website so you can see what you need. You can't do Physics with just AS - you need either the full A Level or FM with three mechanics modules.

When the threads aren't running if you do a private message to one of the official accounts , you'll usually get a response. I'll be running a help thread for applicants in November, however.
so doesn't that mean mechanics covers the same ground as physics? I mean if I did M1 M2 M3 M4 and M5 for the maths modules would Cambridge even accept a physics A level along side this because it is pretty much covering the same material from what I gather. This would look bad right? assuming one is applying for maths?
The requirements for Part IA of Nat Sci are on the website so you can see what you need. You can't do Physics with just AS - you need either the full A Level or FM with three mechanics modules.

When the threads aren't running if you do a private message to one of the official accounts , you'll usually get a response. I'll be running a help thread for applicants in November, however.

Thank you again for all your help. :smile:
Original post by Luke7456
so doesn't that mean mechanics covers the same ground as physics? I mean if I did M1 M2 M3 M4 and M5 for the maths modules would Cambridge even accept a physics A level along side this because it is pretty much covering the same material from what I gather. This would look bad right? assuming one is applying for maths?

Mechanics is not the same as Physics A-level. But you also don't have to have Physics A-level to read Maths at Cambridge. Most do, but by no means all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there any characteristics of Cambridge students who either drop out or who fail to achieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studentrhume
Are there any characteristics of Cambridge students who either drop out or who fail to achieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile

without even attending Cambridge I can answer this Likely lack of effort focusing on other areas etc. The Cambridge admissions process, is very rigorous specifically because they are tough courses. It is unlikely you will get in if the course is going to be beyond you. So if your fortunate enough to get a place just work your socks off and you should be fine.
Original post by jneill
Mechanics is not the same as Physics A-level. But you also don't have to have Physics A-level to read Maths at Cambridge. Most do, but by no means all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah right thanks yeah I worry it will put me at a disadvantage, so was thinking I should do. I will be doing all the Mechanics modules anyway so if it was all the same content and it would help me I might as well do this.

However it probably isn't and I probably wont be able to fit this in doing a levels besides a job as an adult is enough already shouldn't add another A level if not needed.
How much consideration is given to the additional statement in the SAQ? Is it just used to gain more information about an applicant or can it actually strengthen their application? Would you say that most applicants write an additional statement or not? What would be relevant to include for a Medicine applicant? Thank you for all the helpful information both within the Murray Edwards thread and the Christ's one too!
I am considering applying to Cambridge to study Law with A2 grades A*A*AB in French, English Literature, Business Studies and Religious Studies plus an A in the Extended Project Qualification. However, I did decide to start year 12 again with completely different subjects due to bad AS grades (DDD in Law, Psychology and Religious Studies). Will this disadvantage my application?
Original post by Luke7456

From my experience M1-M3 is pretty much directly relevant to the mechanics part of the Physics A-Level. And M4-M5 goes beyond the Physics syllabus. Physics is obviously not as difficult mathematically but it gives an overall grounding in all areas (i.e. electromagnetism, waves etc.) on top of the mechanics. But I cannot possibly comment on how the uni would react.

Out of interest, which college are you applying to?
Original post by Cryptokyo
From my experience M1-M3 is pretty much directly relevant to the mechanics part of the Physics A-Level. And M4-M5 goes beyond the Physics syllabus. Physics is obviously not as difficult mathematically but it gives an overall grounding in all areas (i.e. electromagnetism, waves etc.) on top of the mechanics. But I cannot possibly comment on how the uni would react.

Out of interest, which college are you applying to?

I have not got that far yet, I have only just started A levels, so will need some results before I apply to be taken seriously. I will apply next year if my results are good enough to justify it. As things currently stand I would like Trinity or Kings college but been a mature student with a weak academic past the general advice seems to be apply to a mature college because they are more forgiving of my circumstances etc. On top of that I would be 33 when I started which might be a bit odd been at a college surrounded by youngsters. I will probably apply to Hughes college if exams go my way. However I really have not done the research to justify that answer yet, I will have a more firm idea nearer the time.
what proportion of people write the optional statement in the SAQ? I'm just curious as to whether it is pretty much necessary for an offer, or is it mainly for people who have to justify which route they are going down with a degree/if they are applying for various courses at different universities?
Hello Dr. Spencer, thank you for hosting this forum for us to ask questions. I have submitted my application for land economy to another college, yet it would be great if you can briefly tell me what my chances are.

I am currently a first year student studying at a Top 10 University in the US (my username is a hint), and I have applied to Land Economy to enter as a first year. Since I will not have any university transcripts, I am applying with my IB results (42/45). Here are my grades:

Economics HL: 7
Geography HL: 7
English A Lang and Lit HL: 6
Math SL: 7
Chinese A Lang and Lit SL: 6
Chemistry SL: 7
EE: B
TOK: B

I also have a decent ACT score, if it is considered, being 33/36. The question is, since I am applying as a current first year university student in an American university, will it hurt my application? Also, if possible, can you please tell me about my chances of getting in?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, my sixth form college has a point score of 733.2 for A level, is this average below average or above average? Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending