The Student Room Group

October/November 2016 - C12 IAL Exam Thread

The exam is in less than 12 hours for me. Since this is the first time they introduced October/November exam sessions, I don't think a lot of people are going to be doing it, but I decided to open up a thread about it, anyway, just in case anyone needs help. I've done a **** load of Solomon Papers, practiced a lot and have gotten consistent A's for past papers, I think I am ready for this paper, yet a little nervous.
Reply 1
So how was it?
Original post by Bassam98
So how was it?

I would say it was pretty good. There was a differentiation and an integration question that I found really hard that I couldn't solve so I just wrote down some random stuff, I had done a lot of integration and differentiation question but these were pretty difficult, not gonna lie. Other than that I got through the rest of the paper like butter so I am predicting an A, but I don't know if I'll be getting an A overall in maths AS because I got a C in S1.

Elaboration on the differentiation question:

In the first part of the question they asked us to show that V= blah blah, I don't remember the exact formula. We had to prove it using the surface area (they gave us the surface area) and then make h the subject of the formula and substitute with the volume formula. Boom you had your proof. That was easy enough except the next part of the question was, as you would expect, finding the maximum volume, except the volume formula was a fraction, I had no idea how to differenciate that fraction because the denominator was (2pi + 4) i believe so I didn't know how to simplify it. I might have been able to simplify it by dividing it with each of the terms separately and then maybe differenciating, but I didn't.
Reply 3
I guess u could have just make it (1/2pi+4)r and then differentiate
I don't know the power of r ofc cause i didn't sit this exam
I sat it in june 16
Original post by Bassam98
I guess u could have just make it (1/2pi+4)r and then differentiate
I don't know the power of r ofc cause i didn't sit this exam
I sat it in june 16

I think I figured out how to solve it, instead of having one term with one denominator, you make it so you have two fractions with that same denominator and you'd have r on both terms, so all you'd have to do then is differenciate with respect to r. It was pretty simple now that I am solving it but I guess I had a brain fart. Smh. I really hope this mistake doesn't cost me the overall A grade
Original post by JeSuisAhmedN
I think I figured out how to solve it, instead of having one term with one denominator, you make it so you have two fractions with that same denominator and you'd have r on both terms, so all you'd have to do then is differenciate with respect to r. It was pretty simple now that I am solving it but I guess I had a brain fart. Smh. I really hope this mistake doesn't cost me the overall A grade

I had the Same exact problem with the last 2 questions , but i managed to do the differentiation correct smh , I just took the numbers and divided them and left the (r) alone , and started differentiation .

But for the Integration question I managed to Do the first part , but I failed to get any thing in the second part except all the intersection Points on the Line and Cure with the x and Y axis , which i think i will gain marks for that hopefully .
can someone post the model answers for this paper
Someone please post the model answers for the IAL C12 October 2016 paper
Reply 8
Can anyone remember some of their answers? I got 188 for the area in question 15. I think the coordinates of Q were (4,-2). Did anyone else get the same answers?

Quick Reply

Latest