The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Haven't seen any of these around for 2017 so figured i might as well make one (correct me if i'm wrong! )

So here's a thread to talk about offers/rejections/applications/etc for 2017 entry :smile:

I sent off my application at the beginning of this month, and i'm applying for Biology with predicted grades of AAA. I'm also applying to Exeter, Bristol, Surrey and Gloucestershire (Insurance just in case i got 4 rejections!) but i got an offer from Bristol (BBB) and an offer from Surrey (ABB) this week.

Wondering if anyone received any acknowledgement emails this year?

And also some people say that rhul take a while to reply whereas others say they respond fairly quickly? So i was wondering if anyone had any actual idea as to how long we'll be waiting this year!
UPDATE- Got an offer from RHUL for BBB or Unconditional if i firm :smile: and also got offers from gloucestershire (BBB) and Exeter (AAB)

UPDATE WE NOW HAVE A FACEBOOK PAGE/GROUP CHAT FOR ALL APPLICANTS! type in "Royal Holloway Freshers 2017/18" into facebook so please join :smile:

The link is also https://www.facebook.com/groups/233800950375764/

^ also to the person who stole my post, wtf? how?
(edited 7 years ago)
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Hey there, I got reply from Royal Holloway in less than 48 hours - they offered me ABB to do English and Drama and unconditional if I put them as my first choice.

I don't know if that's because I was an early applicant, or just because the English admissions department is very efficient. I do know that as far as English and Drama applications go, they are processed only by the School of English and the Drama department does not have a lot of say.

Hope that's some help.
Original post by bedheaded
Hey there, I got reply from Royal Holloway in less than 48 hours - they offered me ABB to do English and Drama and unconditional if I put them as my first choice.

I don't know if that's because I was an early applicant, or just because the English admissions department is very efficient. I do know that as far as English and Drama applications go, they are processed only by the School of English and the Drama department does not have a lot of say.

Hope that's some help.

That's amazing well done! especially on getting an unconditional as well!! what were your predicted grades may i ask? and when did you apply?
Original post by butterfly_belle
Haven't seen any of these around for 2017 so figured i might as well make one (correct me if i'm wrong! )

So here's a thread to talk about offers/rejections/applications/etc for 2017 entry :smile:

I sent off my application at the beginning of this month, and i'm applying for Biology with predicted grades of AAA. I'm also applying to Exeter, Bristol, Surrey and Gloucestershire (Insurance just in case i got 4 rejections!) but i got an offer from Bristol (BBB) and an offer from Surrey (ABB) this week.

Wondering if anyone received any acknowledgement emails this year?

And also some people say that rhul take a while to reply whereas others say they respond fairly quickly? So i was wondering if anyone had any actual idea as to how long we'll be waiting this year!

Hi!!!

I'm not sure RHUL send acknowledgements - I sent off my application on 29th September and the first I heard from them was today when I received an email asking for details of a disability I had declared. Although of course it may vary between departments.

I applied for Geography, IR and Politics. What have you applied for?
Original post by sdpjohnson
Hi!!!

I'm not sure RHUL send acknowledgements - I sent off my application on 29th September and the first I heard from them was today when I received an email asking for details of a disability I had declared. Although of course it may vary between departments.

I applied for Geography, IR and Politics. What have you applied for?

I've applied for biology :smile: i got the same email today about a disability i declared! i sent my application off a day after yours so hopefully we'll both here from them relatively soon (and fingers crossed it's good news and not a rejection!)
Hopefully sending my application off by the end of the month for Geography with Politics and IR :smile:
Reply 7
Predicted ABD but applied to do Politics and History along with Brunel, Hertfordshire and St Mary's but RH is my first choice. Looking forward to tomorrow's open day!
Reply 8
I've applied for biology :smile: i got the same email today about a disability i declared! i sent my application off a day after yours so hopefully we'll both here from them relatively soon (and fingers crossed it's good news and not a rejection!)

Hi, I am applying for Royal Holloway too, when you wrote your PS, did you write about your disability or just declare it in the UCAS application? I'm not sure if including it in PS would be seen as a negative. Some teachers say include but turn it into a positive.
Original post by kk5
Hi, I am applying for Royal Holloway too, when you wrote your PS, did you write about your disability or just declare it in the UCAS application? I'm not sure if including it in PS would be seen as a negative. Some teachers say include but turn it into a positive.

i actually did both, we declared that i have a disability/mental health condition on my ucas form but didn't specify what, and then on my PS i actually went out on a limb and wrote about in my introduction and linked it to my subject (i have an eating disorder so i wrote about how once my dietician was explaining how glucose is important and used in the body and hence why we need to eat the right amount of nutrients and calories, and i wrote about how working with my dietician as well as mental health nurses in my recovery from anorexia made me appreciate the body more and really furthered my interest in biology). So yeah it was actually really risky for me to put it in my personal statement but according to my head of house it made my PS really link to me as well as stand out and i have offers from Bristol and Surrey so it can't have gone down that badly!

So what i would say is that if it links to your subject like how my eating disorder links to biology, and you really think it would make your PS stand out then go for it, but if it's not really relevant and could potentially go against you then just put it on your ucas form and you don't even have to specify what disability/mental health issue you have :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
i actually did both, we declared that i have a disability/mental health condition on my ucas form but didn't specify what, and then on my PS i actually went out on a limb and wrote about in my introduction and linked it to my subject (i have an eating disorder so i wrote about how once my dietician was explaining how glucose is important and used in the body and hence why we need to eat the right amount of nutrients and calories, and i wrote about how working with my dietician as well as mental health nurses in my recovery from anorexia made me appreciate the body more and really furthered my interest in biology). So yeah it was actually really risky for me to put it in my personal statement but according to my head of house it made my PS really link to me as well as stand out and i have offers from Bristol and Surrey so it can't have gone down that badly!

So what i would say is that if it links to your subject like how my eating disorder links to biology, and you really think it would make your PS stand out then go for it, but if it's not really relevant and could potentially go against you then just put it on your ucas form and you don't even have to specify what disability/mental health issue you have :smile:

Thanks a bunch, that was really helpful!
Reply 11
Original post by bedheaded

Hope that's some help.

What predicted grades did you have??
Hello!I applied on the 15th October to do English Literature. Really hoping I get a decision fairly soon! What was your offer? :smile:
Original post by kk5

Hi!! Not sure if you've sent yours off yet but I also declared a mental health condition and I did write about mine in my personal statement because I knew my universities would question gaps in my education or why my a levels were taken over 3 years and I have received an offer from RHUL already so they clearly didn't see it as a bad thing :-) although TBH as long as you've declared it on your ucas form then RHUL send an email asking for details so you can talk more about it there if it's not something that will necessarily make your statement stand out if you use the disability in a positive way! If it's just a matter of putting it out there then wait for them to contact you so that you don't waste characters by giving the same info twice :-) hope that helps slightly
Reply 14
Hi!! Not sure if you've sent yours off yet but I also declared a mental health condition and I did write about mine in my personal statement because I knew my universities would question gaps in my education or why my a levels were taken over 3 years and I have received an offer from RHUL already so they clearly didn't see it as a bad thing :-) although TBH as long as you've declared it on your ucas form then RHUL send an email asking for details so you can talk more about it there if it's not something that will necessarily make your statement stand out if you use the disability in a positive way! If it's just a matter of putting it out there then wait for them to contact you so that you don't waste characters by giving the same info twice :-) hope that helps slightly

Hey, i got my welcome email from UCAS today and its been sent to my five unis. You say you got an offer from RHUL, was it conditional also how long did it take them to get back to you? Oh and what course if you don't mind my asking?

Cheers
Original post by Kalan98
Hey, i got my welcome email from UCAS today and its been sent to my five unis. You say you got an offer from RHUL, was it conditional also how long did it take them to get back to you? Oh and what course if you don't mind my asking?

Cheers

Hi :-) it took just over two weeks! Mine was unconditional but I have already sat my a levels so I don't know whether it would have been unconditional otherwise! And it's for geography, politics and IR! What have you applied for?
Reply 16
Hi :-) it took just over two weeks! Mine was unconditional but I have already sat my a levels so I don't know whether it would have been unconditional otherwise! And it's for geography, politics and IR! What have you applied for?

Hey! I have applied for Criminology and Sociology.
Ah i see, yeah usually the offers are conditional on grades and so if you already have the grades, you have not other conditions to meet.
I will be applying for law and criminology as soon as school gives me the all clear and says my application is okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received a conditional offer for History today after sending it off yesterday.
Hey everyone! I've applied for BA Music and Spanish for 2017 entry. I applied on 12th October and I heard within 6 hours...I'm pretty sure RH in general are very efficient. I received an unconditional on the condition of putting RH as my firm, which I will probably be doing. Any questions on application help on how to get those unconditional offers I'm happy to help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending