The Student Room Group

Oxford uni as backup for medicine

I am applying to medicine, and since we only have 4 medicine choices I have chosen them excluding oxford.

However for my backup (has to not be medicine) I want to choose oxford (which i love) and do a degree which will lead me to post grad medicine whilst still enjoying the degree itself. I have chosen physiology, anatomy and genetics degree at oxford.

I know for a backup i am aiming very high, its because i want make sure my back up is something i'll be happy with.

Now my concern is: my personal statement is geared towards medicine so will it look bad that i am applying to physiology, anatomy and genetics for oxford?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by medic99
I am applying to medicine, and since we only have 4 medicine choices I have chosen them excluding oxford.

However for my backup (has to not be medicine) I want to choose oxford (which i love) and do a degree which will lead me to post grad medicine whilst still enjoying the degree itself. I have chosen physiology, anatomy and genetics degree at oxford.

I know for a backup i am aiming very high, its because i want make sure my back up is something i'll be happy with.

Now my concern is: my personal statement is geared towards medicine so will it look bad that i am applying to physiology, anatomy and genetics for oxford?

I think it kind of defeats the purpose. Your back up should be the option you take if you fail to make the grades needed for medicine. Oxford is going to require equal, if not greater grades than medicine (and I'm not sure how it would work as an insurance on ucas because of this).

If you get AAA, but no med offers, then you really need to be taking a gap year and reapplying. GEM is a long and expensive route, and more competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medic99

Firstly, there is no such course at Oxford. I assume you mean biomedical sciences.

If your only aim is to become a doctor, your 'backup' should take a gap year and reapply. That is the route with the highest rate of success.

As to applying to Oxford - I'm unsure how they would receive such a PS. They are no doubt used to it, and they do say on their website that using the course as a stepping stone for medicine is a purpose of the course, but equally they might expect a little more dedication to the research side of things.

Email them. Let us know what they say!

Quick Reply

Latest