The Student Room Group

Is it plagiarism??

Help!

So basically I've just realised AFTER I've handed in my prospectus for my dissertation topic, which is submitted under university rules, that I quoted from an article but forgot to reference it officially!

In the text of my prospectus I said who wrote it, where it was from and the date it was published and use quotation marks around the quote but I completely forgot to add it as an official reference!!

Because the quote was an opening one by the author of who I am focusing my assignment on and not claiming any arguments in it, am I likely to get in serious trouble?

A prospectus isn't the same as a normal essay and I'm just not sure what will happen now.

Thanks!!
Reply 1
No, you're completely fine. You attempted to acknowledge it as a reference by using quotation marks and you put the date and source. Plus it's only one occurrence so there's no need to worry. Lecturers are aware that some students can be forgetful so they'll definitely let you off for one mistake :smile:
Original post by Toffee_Apple
Help!

So basically I've just realised AFTER I've handed in my prospectus for my dissertation topic, which is submitted under university rules, that I quoted from an article but forgot to reference it officially!

In the text of my prospectus I said who wrote it, where it was from and the date it was published and use quotation marks around the quote but I completely forgot to add it as an official reference!!

Because the quote was an opening one by the author of who I am focusing my assignment on and not claiming any arguments in it, am I likely to get in serious trouble?

A prospectus isn't the same as a normal essay and I'm just not sure what will happen now.

Thanks!!

It's not plagiarism, it's a referencing error.
Reply 3
I agree with threeportdrift - it's clearly a technical error from what you've described. You may be docked a few percent if it's assessed, but I wouldn't expect it to be treated as an academic offence.
Reply 4
You shouldn't worry too much. Generally if all your work or significant part of it is plagiarism, then yes you're in trouble. You still have this article in your bibliography, right?
you acknowledged it so no it's not it's just a referencing error you may be marked down a point or two but that's it your fine.

Quick Reply

Latest