The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hey guys,I'm an American applying to the MPhil in History and Philosophy of science, and (hopefully, if I'm nominated) the gates Cambridge. Question for you guys, though...I'm wondering if you think it's a bad look that I haven't been in direct contact with anyone in the HPS dept thus far. While browsing the annals of unofficial Cambridge/Gates-Cambridge data on the Internet, I saw a couple threads written by successful applicants/zealous advice-givers about how it was important to do that. Granted, most of these were for prospective phd students (i.e. Who needed to contact potential PI's as part of their applications), but one mentioned that "finding an advisor or contact early on can be the difference between a successful application and one rejected on a technicality." Do you think that would apply in my situation, given the type of program I'm applying to? It made me think twice because I have yet to contact anyone in the department, having honestly felt no need to throughout the process. The application to HPS itself has been fairly straightforward in that regard, and since it's a taught course, and not just research, I guess I didn't think it was necessary. IF I should contact people, who would I contact? And what would I say/ask? I honestly don't have any serious questions at the time, so I'd have to think pretty hard to make some up (and they might be pretty petty as a result...). What do you guys think?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by gowes93

Normally at Masters level you don't contact a potential Supervisor. Many Departments actively discourage this for a number of reasons - there are too many applicants, fashionable/famous academics get swamped with requests, the nature of Supervision at this level is much less subject specific, and perhaps most importantly, it is seen by many to confer an unfair advantage on the 'pushy' or well informed/supported applicants. If you do try to contact, you may get no response, don't be discouraged, the department probably takes a hard line on not making contact.

On the other hand, at PhD level, normally (but not every time), you do contact the Supervisor if nothing more than to check your research question is appropriate and see if they are interested. However, all the points above may be relevant to greater or lesser degree in terms of the amount of contact you get returned.
Reply 82
Original post by econboy
Hey Fausto,

I am applying for the same course!
That's odd because I do not think that they ask for a CV actually, it is not listed on the website.

Or did I miss something ?!

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/how-do-i-apply

Here they say to prepare your CV. However, in the application portal I can't find where to upload it... Maybe they'll ask for it later, together with the transcripts? I'm struggling to write my statement of interest: I really don't know where to start.
Reply 83
Original post by threeportdrift
All steps are equally important in as much as the admissions staff take a very holistic view of your application. THe format is the same, unless you have some incredible list of publications, a 2 page CV that focusses on relevant skills, ie through Education, Relevant professional experience, Conferences, Publications etc

Thank you, this is really helpful!
Original post by econboy
Hi guys,I am going to apply for Mphil in Economics this September for 2017 entry but I do not know if my profile is strong enough.. (I don't want to waste that 50 quid..)I am going in to my third year (pure economics) at a decent RG university. My current degree average is 79% and I also have some relevant work experience.Do I stand a chance? Thank you. (A couple of the modules I took were essay-based)

Hi mate did you apply? *I think you will def get an offer, as long as all your year's averages are 70+ and your quant/econometrics marks are strong too. Also, since you did essay modules I would apply to Oxford MPhil Econ too as they require essay work as part of the application, you have an advantage there.*
Anyway apply to cam right away and write a strong statement with academic leaning, you will prob get funding too. I also started a 2017/18 MPhil econ thread, give it a bump! Good luck :-)

Ps I applied for Mphil Finance and MPhil Finance and Economics*
Original post by Fausto
Hi everyone! I just started my application for an Mphil in Economics. One of the steps of the application process is to reply to this:
Reasons for applying/statement of interest (300w)Career goals (200w)Additional information supporting the application (200w)
How important is this step? Any advice on what to write?Moreover, they also ask for my CV. What format should I use? An ordinary 2-page CV, or an academic format?

It's very important, and will affect whether you get funding or not (I heard from a friend who did the Mphil a year ago). Talk about why you want to take the course from an academic point of view and specific interests and how Camb fits your goals. No CV is needed.
Applied to MPhil Finance and Economics and MPhil Finance. These are the most competitive mphils by applications at Camb, I give myself 50/50 odds. Finished BSc Financial Economics (lond) this summer, 1:1. Good luck everyone!*
Reply 87
Original post by DCRsilver
Hi mate did you apply? *I think you will def get an offer, as long as all your year's averages are 70+ and your quant/econometrics marks are strong too. Also, since you did essay modules I would apply to Oxford MPhil Econ too as they require essay work as part of the application, you have an advantage there.*
Anyway apply to cam right away and write a strong statement with academic leaning, you will prob get funding too. I also started a 2017/18 MPhil econ thread, give it a bump! Good luck :-)

Ps I applied for MPhil Finance and MPhil Finance and Economics*

Thanks, DCRsilver!
That's very reassuring! and yes and I am applying to Oxford too, although I am not quite sure about the essay (merely 2.1) that I am going to submit but It's the only essay that I have that is 2000-word long and I am not going to write a new one. I hope they will not pay too much attention to it....

Fingers crossed and good luck with your application!
How is everybody doing with their personal statements? For the MPhil in history this is more of a research proposal (in line with a PhD application) than other MA programs (note that the MSt. in history proposal has similar guidelines to the Cambridge one).

My undergrad was in history at an American uni, however I have been in the workforce since 2011. My job history after university is not related to history, and was largely based on a need for both income and health insurance. I'm going to submit my CV, but do I need to explain why I did not go straight to graduate school and didn't pursue history related jobs?
I forget exactly what the Cambridge MSt prompt was, but I wrote next to nothing about my work history. I had an MBA transcript and a CV to show what I had been doing-- my job for this part of the application was to say what I wanted to study/research/write about, and why (more or less).
Original post by Camilli
I forget exactly what the Cambridge MSt prompt was, but I wrote next to nothing about my work history. I had an MBA transcript and a CV to show what I had been doing-- my job for this part of the application was to say what I wanted to study/research/write about, and why (more or less).

Got it. Thank you!
Still on the application process, daunting if I may say. Have just finished my MA TESOL at UCL this summer and haven't received my grades yet (merit expected), and I'm gunning for PhD in the faculty of education. My background is an English teacher at a Vocational HE institution in a SE Asian country, a fully-sponsored student from the government. However, my background in English literature (BA from a university in my country) and TESOL are not "fit" to my PhD research proposal in vocational HE, so is it really matter (my master dissertation about English curriculum in VHE setting and I was also enrolled in a vocational-related module at UCL)?

I also haven't contacted my potential supervisor yet as I'm still polishing my proposal, SoP, and whatnots. Is it wise if I contact them early November for late December submission?

This whole process makes me anxious :s-smilie:
Hello everyone

I'll be applying for an MPhil in Machine Learning, Speech and Language Technology. Anyone else?

Is anyone going to the open day?

Good luck to all!
Hi,

Silly question, but does anyone know what are the chances of getting into Judge MPhil programmes with a 2:1 degree, though I know the website explicitly says they're expecting a 1:1? 🤔

I'm in my final year of uni and I'm expecting/predicting a 1:1, just wondering what would happen if I screw up in the year and graduate with a 2:1 instead 😂
Original post by whaelord
Hi,

Silly question, but does anyone know what are the chances of getting into Judge MPhil programmes with a 2:1 degree, though I know the website explicitly says they're expecting a 1:1? 🤔

I'm in my final year of uni and I'm expecting/predicting a 1:1, just wondering what would happen if I screw up in the year and graduate with a 2:1 instead 😂

I've never seen anyone (judging by linkedin profiles) get into JBS for an MPhil with less than a 1st, though it's probably possible if you also have a relevant MSc with distinction. MPhil Finance especially is super competitive, I would be amazed if I got an offer even with my relevant 1st already in the bag, simply because everyone else applying is no different quality wise. I think at the minimum you also need to be the third best student in your class, preferably no. 1.

Which MPhil you thinking of?

For the MFin and MBA however, strong experience and GMAT is fine with a 2:1. The trouble is getting the good experience.

Why would you screw up? You just started your final year! You got this :-)
Is there any downside to applying for two different (but related) courses?

Trying to convince them that the course you are applying for is perfect for you seems a bit insincere if you are also applying for another one, don't you think?
Original post by standards
Is there any downside to applying for two different (but related) courses?

Trying to convince them that the course you are applying for is perfect for you seems a bit insincere if you are also applying for another one, don't you think?

Yes, and some admissions staff think like that and others don't. I'm afraid it's that specific. It's a punt, and you have to decide whether to take it or not. However, I suspect the fairly relentless pursuit of academic ability means that applying to two courses doesn't halve your chances, so you still have more skin in the game if you have two applications in, but only if you are of the right calibre for both courses.
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, and some admissions staff think like that and others don't. I'm afraid it's that specific. It's a punt, and you have to decide whether to take it or not. However, I suspect the fairly relentless pursuit of academic ability means that applying to two courses doesn't halve your chances, so you still have more skin in the game if you have two applications in, but only if you are of the right calibre for both courses.

Thanks, I think I've decided to stick to the one application.
Original post by standards
Hello everyone

I'll be applying for an MPhil in Machine Learning, Speech and Language Technology. Anyone else?

Is anyone going to the open day?

Good luck to all!

I'm applying for the standard CS MPhil, though I will be focusing on machine learning and nlp.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Original post by ViralRiver
I'm applying for the standard CS MPhil, though I will be focusing on machine learning and nlp.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Are you planning on continuing to do a PhD?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending