The Student Room Group

Buspirone (BuSpar) is givingg me a terrible headache, should I stop taking it?

Only on my 2nd day. 2.5mg morning, 2.5mg night. Should I give it some more time or...? Can't see a doctor about this. Is it a common side effect? And why does it say not to mix with diazepam on the leaflet? A lot of people seem to be on both. I can't just quit diazepam either. : (
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Only on my 2nd day. 2.5mg morning, 2.5mg night. Should I give it some more time or...? Can't see a doctor about this. Is it a common side effect? And why does it say not to mix with diazepam on the leaflet? A lot of people seem to be on both. I can't just quit diazepam either. : (

First check what the leaflet says about side effects to make sure it is not one of the ones that can be serious. If it is not listed as a serious side effect, contact the person who prescribed them, a pharmacist, 111 or a doctor.

Medications like this can have some nasty side effects and when put together with certian other drugs they can be worse or introduce new risks. If they are simmilar types of medication it could be a risk that you will take too much of an ingredient in both or that they will increase the effect to a dangerous level. It is different for all of them so it's best to ask a doctor, especially if you are having side effects.
Reply 2
Original post by Kindred
First check what the leaflet says about side effects to make sure it is not one of the ones that can be serious. If it is not listed as a serious side effect, contact the person who prescribed them, a pharmacist, 111 or a doctor.

Medications like this can have some nasty side effects and when put together with certian other drugs they can be worse or introduce new risks. If they are simmilar types of medication it could be a risk that you will take too much of an ingredient in both or that they will increase the effect to a dangerous level. It is different for all of them so it's best to ask a doctor, especially if you are having side effects.

Call your doctor at once if you have:

chest pain;

shortness of breath; or

a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out.

Common buspirone side effects may include:

headache;

thnks. so looks like it's one of the common ones, not a serious one. still i had such high hopes for this i will neve r live anxiety freelife

chest pain;

shortness of breath; or

headache;

thnks. so looks like it's one of the common ones, not a serious one. still i had such high hopes for this i will neve r live anxiety freelife

With mental health drugs, it's quite common to get side effects in the first few weeks which will then wear off with continued use. Do speak to your GP though.
Reply 4

chest pain;

shortness of breath; or

headache;

Okie dokie that's good. Just call up a pharmacist or doctor to check about taking both things at the same time and mention the headaches too. Sounds like it's just a starting up side effect though.
Most mh meds take a while to work and can be nasty in the first week or so. Don't give up hope just yet. Mine made me throw up the first day and feel ill for at least a week after. Didn't really kick in until a month or so. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by WoodyMKC
With mental health drugs, it's quite common to get side effects in the first few weeks which will then wear off with continued use. Do speak to your GP though.

Original post by Kindred
Okie dokie that's good. Just call up a pharmacist or doctor to check about taking both things at the same time and mention the headaches too. Sounds like it's just a starting up side effect though.
Most mh meds take a while to work and can be nasty in the first week or so. Don't give up hope just yet. Mine made me throw up the first day and feel ill for at least a week after. Didn't really kick in until a month or so. :smile:

i consulted this with one of th healthtap docs only.. they said it was ok to take both. but thanks wil try but will skip my 2nd dose tonigh this is the worst headache ive ever experieneced in my life
Reply 6
i consulted this with one of th healthtap docs only.. they said it was ok to take both. but thanks wil try but will skip my 2nd dose tonigh this is the worst headache ive ever experieneced in my life

Glad that's sorted. Try not to skip doses. It feels so bad cos it's building up in your system and if you keep stopping and starting it will stay bad. If it's that bad you can talk to your doctor about halfing the dose to start with. It will make it less of a shock to your system.
Also be sure to take painkillers, stay hydrated and relax. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Kindred
Glad that's sorted. Try not to skip doses. It feels so bad cos it's building up in your system and if you keep stopping and starting it will stay bad. If it's that bad you can talk to your doctor about halfing the dose to start with. It will make it less of a shock to your system.
Also be sure to take painkillers, stay hydrated and relax. :smile:

im taking only 2.5mg now but 3-4 hours after i take it, i get this awful headache. im used to headaches but this one is so much worse idk its like my body just doesnt tolerate this drug. never had anything like this before with other drugs dammnit : (
Reply 8
im taking only 2.5mg now but 3-4 hours after i take it, i get this awful headache. im used to headaches but this one is so much worse idk its like my body just doesnt tolerate this drug. never had anything like this before with other drugs dammnit : (

Talk to whoever prescribed it. There may be something they can do to help or they may think it's best you try another med. I personally felt like i'd been poisoned for the first week so it's possible it's just the starting side effects. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Kindred
Talk to whoever prescribed it. There may be something they can do to help or they may think it's best you try another med. I personally felt like i'd been poisoned for the first week so it's possible it's just the starting side effects. :smile:

thanks..trying to stay positive
Definitely don't stop taking it without consulting your doctor. If the side effects continue, they may be able to move you onto something else or come up with another solution. I hope you feel better soon!
See your doctor for a medication review. No-one is trained on here to give you medical advice over the internet.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Definitely don't stop taking it without consulting your doctor. If the side effects continue, they may be able to move you onto something else or come up with another solution. I hope you feel better soon!

I don't really understand why do people say that? I mean, it makes sense if you've been on a med for a long time but it's only been a few days in my case? To be honest I didn't take it today and I feel better already. Now I dont' really feel like trying anything else :/

Quick Reply

Latest