The Student Room Group

Who was the least successful ruler in history?

To go with the 'who was the most successful ruler in history' thread, who was the least successful?
Lady Jane Grey, wasn't she only on the throne 9 days before she got executed? :tongue:
Depends on how you're measuring success :lol:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Lady Jane Grey, wasn't she only on the throne 9 days before she got executed? :tongue:

That was very short indeed. *

Original post by Christie_xx
Depends on how you're measuring success :lol:

That is a good remark.

Measuring by the popularity and by doings, Nero is the first name which comes into my mind: No interest in politics, was hated by the citizens and even the soldiers, has even had the consuls against him. And he did nothing in the past to stick in good memory, but being a self-appointed actor and a poet.*
Corbyn
Original post by caravaggio2
Corbyn

Jeremy Corbyn? yeah, it seems so. I can't remember me to have ever heard of him. That is a sure sign for being not successful.
I agree with the above poster, that it depends on how you measure success - a ruler could be very successful economically, but be responsible for the deaths of a large number of their people. How should they be classed in that instance, as they're clearly not a moral success!
Like others have said; Jezza Corbyn. :h:
The shatter resistant one I broke over a table in a Year 10 maths lesson
Original post by BurstingBubbles

She isn't generally accepted as having been a queen. She was a puppet whose family and supporters used her in an attempt to seize power in the absence of Mary. It took a few days to get Mary, who was out of the capital, ensconced and accepted (and Jane's puppeteer, Northumberland, made a big mistake in leaving London to rally support) but there was really little doubt that she would win as she had all the popular support.
I will offer Sheikh Khalid, Sultan of Zanzibar.

He reigned for two days in 1896 and was then deposed by the British following the world's shortest war, that lasted 38 minutes. He then sought political asylum in Tanganyika where he was again captured by the British in 1916. After exile to the Seychelles and St Helena (I wonder where the British got that idea from), he was finally allowed to live out his days in Kenya.
Hitler
Mao, he went through all that work and violence and brainwashing to preserve communism, only for China to go capitalist anyway
If a PM counts as a ruler, I'd go for Anthony Eden.
Whichever b*****d is responsible for losing us the greatest share of our empire

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Onde
Probably a pointless question to attempt to answer, because the qualities that make a leader are associated with success, and those people who were least successful were thus not leaders.

In a meritocracy perhaps, and meritocracies are relatively rare in history.
Original post by Onde
Probably a pointless question to attempt to answer, because the qualities that make a leader are associated with success, and those people who were least successful were thus not leaders.

There will still be varying levels of success with people who did make it to leader though. So identifying the worst is an answerable question.
King John
Original post by barnetlad
King John

His first cousin twice removed, Stephen, was worse.
Reply 19
Original post by Connor27
Mao, he went through all that work and violence and brainwashing to preserve communism, only for China to go capitalist anyway

They still study Mao and respect his efforts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending