The Student Room Group

Viva's Coeliac Blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Viva Emptiness
I decided to give Asda's free from section a go yesterday and bought a whole heap of goodies and essentials.

Predictably, the only thing I can contribute to that image is that Daura is top notch. :yy:
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Predictably, the only thing I can contribute to that image is that Daura is top notch. :yy:

I was impressed, tbh. Brew Dog also does a GF pale ale which I didn't hate either, so I think I'll live more than happily on the beer front. Which let's be honest is the most important front.
Reply 42
Oh, thanks! I'm signing up as we speak :h:

Ugh, I've just checked into my hotel in Dublin for work and checked out the room service menu - my only options are a steak with no chips or a greek salad. Sigh. Well at least I bought some...sesame snaps?

*reads this*

*thinks of home* Even though I'm from the North :mmm:

:moon:

How were the sausages?
Original post by Airmed
*reads this*

*thinks of home* Even though I'm from the North :mmm:

:moon:

How were the sausages?

The sausages were lovely! I'm a bit bummed because I left them under the grill thinking I could have them cold with my tea tonight, but I didn't realise I would be in Ireland until I saw the boarding passes on my desk this morning lol. Such a jetset life...
Reply 44
The sausages were lovely! I'm a bit bummed because I left them under the grill thinking I could have them cold with my tea tonight, but I didn't realise I would be in Ireland until I saw the boarding passes on my desk this morning lol. Such a jetset life...

Ah good! Sounds like you :laugh:
Nothing on the hotel breakfast menu today, and a colleague and I went out for lunch at a nice hotel with a few GF options...I felt really sick after it though so not sure if contaminated or just mistrustful of other people handling food where I can't see it....

Home now though, and managed to survive another plane journey so celebrating with a nice beer.
Reply 46
Nothing on the hotel breakfast menu today, and a colleague and I went out for lunch at a nice hotel with a few GF options...I felt really sick after it though so not sure if contaminated or just mistrustful of other people handling food where I can't see it....

Home now though, and managed to survive another plane journey so celebrating with a nice beer.

Fellow celiac here. Diagnosed about a year ago and all symptons stopped since gluten free diet.

My advise is memorise: Rye, Barley, Wheat those are the common gluten containing grains and will be in bold - make sure you read the ingredients on the back of everything! if it doesn't include any of those I personally gamble and class it as safe(as my short-term reaction is mild). If you only buy labeled "Gluten free" stuff your choice is really limited.

Watch out for Morrisons own brand- ketchup they thicken it with wheat Heinz is safe store bought sausages,burgers they bind them together whith wheat so avoid.

Most resturant sauces they thicken with wheat so avoideating out is a real gamble to be honest(even if you ask them you can get ill). Just the other day I had an indian - asked him if it was gluten free he said yes then immediatly offered me naan bread !

Its hard at the start when you realise how much stuff has gluten but you get used to it and reading the ingredients becomes natural although I still hate going from "eats anything" to "fussy person" now at the restuarant .
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by INTit
Fellow celiac here.
My advise is memorise: Rye, Barley, Wheat those are the common gluten containing grains and will be in bold - make sure you read the ingredients on the back of everything! if it doesn't include any of those I personally gamble and class it as safe(as my short-term reaction is mild). If you only buy labeled "Gluten free" stuff your choice is really limited.

Watch out for Morrisons own brand- ketchup they thicken it with wheat Heinz is ok. store bought sausages,burgers they bind them together whith wheat so avoid.

Most resturant sauces they thicken with wheat so avoideating out is a real gamble to be honest(even if you ask them you can get ill). Just the other day I had an indian - asked him if it was gluten free he said yes then immediatly offered me naan bread !

Its hard at the start when you realise how much stuff has gluten but you get used to it and reading the ingredients becomes natural although I still hate going from "eats anything" to "fussy person" now at the restuarant .

Hi, thanks for your insights :h:

Yeah, I've been so depressed reading the ingredients on sauces! Almost everything has barley or rye. What's your stance on the whole "May contain: gluten" or "Made in a factory which also handles gluten"?
Reply 48

Yeah, I've been so depressed reading the ingredients on sauces! Almost everything has barley or rye. What's your stance on the whole "May contain: gluten" or "Made in a factory which also handles gluten"?

Its Walkers and Cadburys that are the worst culpruts for that(pretty much everything from them might contain gluten) its mainly just covering themselves but Walkers say they spray the flavourings onto the crisps which is why they get cross-contaminated.

Personally I avoid them who knows how slack their production methods will become if they feel they can cover themselves with a 1 liner.

Seabrooks are good brand for labeled gluten free crisps.
Black Farmer and Heck are good gluten free sausages.
Also remember rice & poppadoms(they are made of safe rice-flour ) are gluten free :smile:

As for Wotsits - I know I said I avoid it if it has the disclaimer but I eat Wotsits and it hasn't killed me. The disclaimer rule can be bent(if you want to risk it) - just never bend the rule on no Gluten containing ingredients in the ingredients list.

Also watch out for Gravy(has wheat thickener) that poisoned me a few times before I figured out where it was coming from.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Pom bears are gluten free.

It's just trial and error, really. Over time you'll learn how sensitive you are. I've found I can have oats, but one of my friends can't cope with even looking at them. With some things they are just covering themselves by putting warnings on the packets but other cases it's more risky.

At first you should try to be as good as possible. Your gut is damaged and needs time - and no gluten - to repair. But after a while you can experiment and see if things give you problems or not.
Disaster of a day today - day 1 of a 2 day conference in london and i was assured there would be a separately prepared GF option...well you can probably guess that there wasn't. £1,000 to attend and had to get my own lunch, an outrage.

I'd never given buffets a minutes thought before today but seeing people use any old spoon or tongs for each dish made me cringe!

Anyway, in bed with a nice dinner at my boyfs in London with a snazzo GF beer to cheer myself up :h:

20161013_193231.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Every day. I passed a Krispy Kreme stand next to a pretzel stand at Victoria and nearly hurled myself onto the rails.
Today was just perf. Went to the Bridge and saw Chelsea smash Leicester, then went to this amazing Peruvian restaurant in Shoreditch called Andina. It was kind of like tapas so we got 8 dishes between us and basically ate them as they arrived in a total of about 5 minutes, to our eternal shame. Loads of gluten free options inc. Corn cake with avocado, onion and tomato, duck with quinoa and sweet potato mash, chips with the most AMAZING chilli cheese sauce, some salad and veg bits and some scallops and croquettes.

Dessert was naturally the highlight, my bf got passionfruit rum baba cake and i had a mango chia pudding with lemon sorbet, yuzu sake jelly, yuzu marshallow and unidentified meringue. Picture attached to illustrate just how jazzy it was.
Funky food :biggrin: :top: How do you feel like you're adjusting?
Original post by WoodyMKC
Funky food :biggrin: :top: How do you feel like you're adjusting?

Mixed bag really, m8. Sometimes I think it's going really well and sometimes I pass a McDonalds and I want to hang myself.
Mixed bag really, m8. Sometimes I think it's going really well and sometimes I pass a McDonalds and I want to hang myself.

Sounds like me when I'm dieting down :rofl: Do Domino's do gluten free pizza?
Reply 56
Sounds like me when I'm dieting down :rofl: Do Domino's do gluten free pizza?

Domino's, pizza Hut and pizza express all do gluten free pizzas - although domino's is a franchise so some individual restaurants don't do delivery of gluten free.

Carluccios is my favourite restaurant because their gluten free menu is amazing. Ask, Zizzi and probably others all have gluten free pizza and other bits too. There is even a restaurant in London called La Polentaria that only does gluten free!
Original post by Juno
Domino's, pizza Hut and pizza express all do gluten free pizzas - although domino's is a franchise so some individual restaurants don't do delivery of gluten free.

Carluccios is my favourite restaurant because their gluten free menu is amazing. Ask, Zizzi and probably others all have gluten free pizza and other bits too. There is even a restaurant in London called La Polentaria that only does gluten free!

As long as Domino's do it, I literally don't know what I'd do with myself if I had coeliac, otherwise!
Hey my dads been gluten free for 7 years. He has Coeliac disease too
Reply 59
As long as Domino's do it, I literally don't know what I'd do with myself if I had coeliac, otherwise!

You can't have some of the toppings though, like the sausage isn't gluten free.

Quick Reply

Latest