The Student Room Group

Need advice on wording

So I'm still about 60 characters over the limit after desperate character cutting. I was just wondering if it would be acceptable to cut "Formula One car" to 'F1 car'.
Reply 1
That is fine!
Reply 3
Thank guys, it's so hard knowing just how much shortening is acceptable!

Another question I have is about whether or not indenting is possible instead of leaving a blank line between paragraphs. I never thought it was but the Oxbridge tutor at our school said you can and has been doing it for her class

@Plagioclase
(edited 7 years ago)
You can't indent - UCAS takes out all that sort of formatting I'm afraid.

And you should check the line limit, as you're more likely to reach that first
Reply 5
Original post by *Interrobang*
You can't indent - UCAS takes out all that sort of formatting I'm afraid.

And you should check the line limit, as you're more likely to reach that first

Yeah if I leave spaces between paragraphs then I'm 3 lines over the limit. Looks like I'll have to cut a few more sentences out.

One last question. I'm applying to do Mech.Engineering and have talked about how attending Maths lectures at a uni has given me experience with uni-style teaching (paraphrased). I'm looking for a line to remove, do you think this might be insignificant enough to warrant removing?

Thanks for the help
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aadil10
Yeah if I leave spaces between paragraphs then I'm 3 lines over the limit. Looks like I'll have to cut a few more sentences out.

One last question. I'm applying to do Mech.Engineering and have talked about how attending Maths lectures at a uni has given me experience with uni-style teaching (paraphrased). I'm looking for a line to remove, do you think this might be insignificant enough to warrant removing?

Thanks for the help

Is that on the UCAS form? Because lines in Word are longer than the UCAS form. You don't need to talk about it as being experience of uni teaching. If you can talk about how it's been interesting in relation to mech eng then talk about that instead, otherwise it's not necessary
Reply 7
Is that on the UCAS form? Because lines in Word are longer than the UCAS form. You don't need to talk about it as being experience of uni teaching. If you can talk about how it's been interesting in relation to mech eng then talk about that instead, otherwise it's not necessary

It says that on the preview page on the UCAS website. I'm assuming that's the same format as the actual form will be, right?

I think I'm going to take that line out as it seems to be the least-relative to engineering out of everything.

Thanks again
Original post by aadil10
It says that on the preview page on the UCAS website. I'm assuming that's the same format as the actual form will be, right?

I think I'm going to take that line out as it seems to be the least-relative to engineering out of everything.

Thanks again

Yes if it's in UCAS then it will fit. However, I strongly recommend that you remove/condense bits to make sure you can have whole lines between paragraphs, as it makes it a lot easier to read. I've never read a PS that can't be edited in a way to sort this out
Reply 9
Yes if it's in UCAS then it will fit. However, I strongly recommend that you remove/condense bits to make sure you can have whole lines between paragraphs, as it makes it a lot easier to read. I've never read a PS that can't be edited in a way to sort this out

That's my focus from now on. Turns out I'll only be 2 lines over with spaces between so it shouldn't be too difficult to shorten bits.

That's all my questions answered so many thanks. Next time I post will hopefully be in the PS Review thread. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending