The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship questions?

So I got an apprenticeship as a 'marketing co-ordinator' but in reality it's just telesales. It was through QA and I was to be doing Level 3 Business Admin, however QA realised they hadn't really looked into the job and that it didn't fit in with their modules so I now am no longer with QA. I'm working an apprenticeship but am not working towards a qualification currently. I have the option to do a course with Key Training instead which I imagine will be either level 2 or 3 customer service but it's up to me whether I do that or not. Do you think it's worth doing the qualification as well? Just it seems to me to be a pretty worthless qualification (forgive me if I'm wrong).

Also, regardless of that I was thinking of when I turn 18 of trying to get a full time job instead of an apprenticeship because the pay would be much better. Do you think that would be a good thing to do in the long run? I just don't know whether worth spending over half a year get an NVQ being paid half what you would be in a full time job. I don't have A Levels which I understand puts me at a bit of a disadvantage but I'm unsure as to whether an NVQ would even partially make up for this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You really don't need an apprenticeship in telesales. Seems to me they're just exploiting you for cheap labour. Especially they've not got you working towards anything.*
Original post by EA99
So I got an apprenticeship as a 'marketing co-ordinator' but in reality it's just telesales. It was through QA and I was to be doing Level 3 Business Admin, however QA realised they hadn't really looked into the job and that it didn't fit in with their modules so I now am no longer with QA. I'm working an apprenticeship but am not working towards a qualification currently. I have the option to do a course with Key Training instead which I imagine will be either level 2 or 3 customer service but it's up to me whether I do that or not. Do you think it's worth doing the qualification as well? Just it seems to me to be a pretty worthless qualification (forgive me if I'm wrong).

Also, regardless of that I was thinking of when I turn 18 of trying to get a full time job instead of an apprenticeship because the pay would be much better. Do you think that would be a good thing to do in the long run? I just don't know whether worth spending over half a year get an NVQ being paid half what you would be in a full time job. I don't have A Levels which I understand puts me at a bit of a disadvantage but I'm unsure as to whether an NVQ would even partially make up for this.

Id rather work towards the qualification that not work towards anything.
Reply 3
If you can afford it you should do the qualification. You'll be unlikely to ever be able to do it in future, and having an extra qualification is likely to come in handy.
Reply 4
Yeah you're right, thanks man. I'm going to leave this apprenticeship to try and get a business admin one to get a qualification done.
Hey do you guys know if it is possible to take an apprenticeship for 1 year and then do something else even if the said duration of the apprenticeship is more than a year (planning on going to university as by that time I will have a-levels) I'm just wondering because I plan to take a gap year and want to do an apprenticeship.
Thanks for the response

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Hey do you guys know if it is possible to take an apprenticeship for 1 year and then do something else even if the said duration of the apprenticeship is more than a year (planning on going to university as by that time I will have a-levels) I'm just wondering because I plan to take a gap year and want to do an apprenticeship.
Thanks for the response

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no point. You need to do the whole apprenticeship to get the qualification. So you're not getting anything out of it, except to be paid less than with a normal job
Original post by Juno
There's no point. You need to do the whole apprenticeship to get the qualification. So you're not getting anything out of it, except to be paid less than with a normal job

OK thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by EA99
Yeah you're right, thanks man. I'm going to leave this apprenticeship to try and get a business admin one to get a qualification done.

There are jobs out there that allow you to study an NVQ whilst earning minimum wage, which usually increases after you prove your worth to the company and is far better than getting an apprenticeship wage anyway. I am now halfway through studying business admin level 3 after completing the level 2 last year. I love the course and it has definitely been worth the hard work.

Good luck in your search!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending