The Student Room Group

Dentistry A-Level options?

I'm passionate on becoming a dentist and to do so I'm definitely going to pick biology and chemistry for A-Levels and if I change my mind there's many doors open for me to do with two sciences. However, I'm struggling on what to pick for my third option. I have mixed feelings on whether to do Maths or English Lit. Maths has been recommended as a good subject to study but English is also on the list as it can help me with my speaking and writing skills. I keep changing my mind on the two so can anyone help me please? :smile:
Original post by Lana Gyan
I'm passionate on becoming a dentist and to do so I'm definitely going to pick biology and chemistry for A-Levels and if I change my mind there's many doors open for me to do with two sciences. However, I'm struggling on what to pick for my third option. I have mixed feelings on whether to do Maths or English Lit. Maths has been recommended as a good subject to study but English is also on the list as it can help me with my speaking and writing skills. I keep changing my mind on the two so can anyone help me please? :smile:

Pick the option you think you have the most chance of getting a great grade in without compromising your time for bio and chem.

lana go study real hard ok? dentistry is not easy.

I'd go with maths as it is less subjective and therefore easier to get a good grade.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Pick the option you think you have the most chance of getting a great grade in without compromising your time for bio and chem.

i feel like i have the same chance of getting a good grade in both maths and english and to just pick one is annoying
Reply 5
Original post by Risobelle
lana go study real hard ok? dentistry is not easy.

im going to try my hardest so hopefully it will all work out at the end
Reply 6
Original post by Inspiringvisons
I'd go with maths as it is less subjective and therefore easier to get a good grade.

ok thank you for your opinion :smile:

Which ever one your interested in the most. Don't let anyone tell you what to pick.

If you are equally good and as interested in both, maths is the easier option. You always have that worrying feeling with humanities subjects as to what kind of questions on theme may come up. With maths, if you've got all the topics sorted, you're prepared for anything and it's easy to see where you've gone wrong, where as in English, you may have to analyse boat loads of paragraphs to see your mistakes. I also believe it's easier to get a higher UMS in maths too, as questions are constantly repeated over.
Reply 9
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If you are equally good and as interested in both, maths is the easier option. You always have that worrying feeling with humanities subjects as to what kind of questions on theme may come up. With maths, if you've got all the topics sorted, you're prepared for anything and it's easy to see where you've gone wrong, where as in English, you may have to analyse boat loads of paragraphs to see your mistakes. I also believe it's easier to get a higher UMS in maths too, as questions are constantly repeated over.

yh i get what you mean youve given me a new perspective on maths actually. but do you believe the outcome of maths is better than english ?
yh i get what you mean youve given me a new perspective on maths actually. but do you believe the outcome of maths is better than english ?

Yes, because if you're good at it, you can guarantee yourself an A/A*. There's plenty of people with ridiculously high UMS in Maths, but not so many in English, as it's so subjective, that examiners take marks off for reasons that aren't necessarily due to a genuine mistake.
I also think constantly doing maths is good for the UKCAT, as it improves mental maths.
Yes, because if you're good at it, you can guarantee yourself an A/A*. There's plenty of people with ridiculously high UMS in Maths, but not so many in English, as it's so subjective, that examiners take marks off for reasons that aren't necessarily due to a genuine mistake.
I also think constantly doing maths is good for the UKCAT, as it improves mental maths.

I think the UKCAT argument is irrelevant. Same could be said for VR and studying english? Besides, the QR section is much more about data interpretation than A-level based maths.
Reply 12

ok thank you ill definitely take on mind what you said :smile:
Original post by anand3007
I think the UKCAT argument is irrelevant. Same could be said for VR and studying english? Besides, the QR section is much more about data interpretation than A-level based maths.

You don't think that those that do A Level Maths (and Further(if applicable)) won't do better on QR? Yes it's interpretation, but if you've been juggling loads of long multiplications and fractions in your head constantly, you wouldn't have to use a calculator and you'd save much time as a result. BMAT may also be another factor, though I only know of Leeds that currently use it for dentistry.
You don't think that those that do A Level Maths (and Further(if applicable)) won't do better on QR? Yes it's interpretation, but if you've been juggling loads of long multiplications and fractions in your head constantly, you wouldn't have to use a calculator and you'd save much time as a result. BMAT may also be another factor, though I only know of Leeds that currently use it for dentistry.

I'd argue that constantly reading for VR is far more useful in picking up the skill of scanning required to do well. A level maths is much more about paper and calculator work rather than doing long multiplications and fractions so I don't think it's really that useful.

Quick Reply

Latest