The Student Room Group

is my friend jealous of my new relationship?

I've got a male friend who there is a bit of history with, and he liked me in the past but has since moved away, and we've never dated.

I struggled for a while to get over him, as I was really into him, but I've met a lovely guy who I've started going out with. I'm still good friends with the other guy and we speak pretty much daily.

I said to my friend, guess what, I've met someone recently. Thinking he'd be like, oh really, that's great! Who is it? etc.

However, he just said, oh really? cool. and then afterwards said 'Is he sexy?' and I said, he's ok, yeah! And he said 'more than me?'. and I was like, why are you asking that question? And then he was like, oh ok ,I get it, he must be muscly then! And I said, yes, but so are you, so don't worry! And he was like, nah, not really..

and then we kind of changed the subject, but then the guy came up in conversation again and my friend just said 'cool' and nothing else. It's strange, because he's the kind of guy who likes to ask a lot of questions, if I talk about holidays, work etc. he's always like oh cool who are you going with, where are you staying etc.

Not sure if it means anything or he was just joking!
Reply 1
Also, I just think if one of my close friends had met a new person, I'd be really happy for them and I'd be asking questions about the other person..
Reply 2
Sounds like jealousy to me, but I'd advise not jumping the gun. You said you've had history so I think anyone would get defensive if you told someone that you found a person who's categorically better than them - he could just be questioning to know which category that is.
Reply 3
Original post by DanielOH
Sounds like jealousy to me, but I'd advise not jumping the gun. You said you've had history so I think anyone would get defensive if you told someone that you found a person who's categorically better than them - he could just be questioning to know which category that is.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, it was just that a few months ago I was interested in a relationship whereas he was only interested in a casual thing with me.. and he used to always say like oh you'll meet someone nice soon, you deserve it etc.

and to be honest I thought he'd be pleased for me/even relieved that i'd met someone else! So yeah the fact that he asked me zer oquestions other than about how the guy looks/whether he's better-looking, seemed odd !
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, it was just that a few months ago I was interested in a relationship whereas he was only interested in a casual thing with me.. and he used to always say like oh you'll meet someone nice soon, you deserve it etc.

and to be honest I thought he'd be pleased for me/even relieved that i'd met someone else! So yeah the fact that he asked me zer oquestions other than about how the guy looks/whether he's better-looking, seemed odd !

Hm. That bit of extra context makes it seem like he's regretting the decision of only wanting to be casual.
Reply 5
Original post by DanielOH
Hm. That bit of extra context makes it seem like he's regretting the decision of only wanting to be casual.

Ah, you think so?? But yeah it's too late now... plus anyway he's moved abroad now !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending