The Student Room Group

World Mental Health Day 2016

10th October
World Mental Health Day 2016

Today is World Mental Day, a very important day that happens every year to raise awareness and understanding when it comes to mental health. According to the Mental Health Foundation, by 2030, depression could be the leading illness globally if we don't take action. This years' theme is psychological first aid and support you can give to those in distress. There's a big focus on traumatic events and just how they can affect people. We've written some threads and found some older ones that may be able to shed some light on this very important theme.

[Older post] Acute stress: My experience by iEthan (some may find this upsetting)

[Older posts] Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 by furryface12, Deyesy, iEthan, Spock's Socks, randdom, Airmed, Sabertooth and shadowdweller

How do YOU help yourself? by furryface12

Please do get involved and share your experiences, advice or support! It'd be really good to get some conversation going and get people talking about mental health! :grouphugs:

Have you got advice to share? Let us know below and make sure to check out our other threads!

You can post anonymously here.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Key advice is that:

You are not alone.
Thanks for this, CT and ST! So important to draw attention to this day! :yep: Gonna check out the threads now :nutcase:
Another thread by @shadowdweller up! :yay:
…and another one by @BurstingBubbles! :nutcase:
What is the point in MH Day when those who are really suffering face it every day. Oh look the whole world cares for just one day, I feel so much better now. No.

When today is over those suffering from MH issues still have to carry on with the woefully underfunded services provided my the NHS, the huge waiting lists to see trained professional which only exacerbate the issues they are facing. And all the people who got involved with WMHD will go back to their normal lives feeling better that they recognised for one day that their friends and family may be suffering from the hidden illness that is MH.

This is not a day for those truly suffering, it is a day for those who just want to make themselves feel a little bit better like they are really making a difference in the world.

And tomorrow when I wake up, I will still be depressed and nothing will have changed. The funding which we needed a decade ago will not have arrived and young people taking their own lives will still be our biggest killer.
Original post by Willy Pete
What is the point in MH Day when those who are really suffering face it every day. Oh look the whole world cares for just one day, I feel so much better now. No.

When today is over those suffering from MH issues still have to carry on with the woefully underfunded services provided my the NHS, the huge waiting lists to see trained professional which only exacerbate the issues they are facing. And all the people who got involved with WMHD will go back to their normal lives feeling better that they recognised for one day that their friends and family may be suffering from the hidden illness that is MH.

This is not a day for those truly suffering, it is a day for those who just want to make themselves feel a little bit better like they are really making a difference in the world.

And tomorrow when I wake up, I will still be depressed and nothing will have changed. The funding which we needed a decade ago will not have arrived and young people taking their own lives will still be our biggest killer.

I feel you and some other users are missing the point of this, tbh. Sometimes, to achieve better quality, minority/under-represented groups need to have their own "day" or "month" etc. in order to get people to sit up and take notice. No, it may not change the world immediately and no, we should have to have a special day in the first place. But if we didn't have these days and weeks for mental health, would the funding situation be any better? No, it would not. Would the waiting times be any shorter? No.

Having a World Mental Health Day does not change the practical day-to-day implications of having a mental health problem, no. Few things can. But it does not do any harm to anyone, but it CAN make the world of difference. What it CAN do is show people that they are not alone, that there is no need for stigma, and that there is hope and help to be had. And that could literally save someone's life. And even if it's just literally one person's life that is saved, then it is worth doing, imho :yep:
For those who do not understand the purpose of WMHD: It raises awareness and gets people talking. That's exactly what we need. Talking about MH issues can and does save lives, and it helps break the stigma. Sure, it's not immediately solving funding crises and certainly doesn't cure us, but it still does so much good and that is why it's important. Hell, that's only part of it. There's so many reasons why this is endlessly important. It may not feel important to everyone, cool, but in the general scheme of things it really is. It is more than worth it if even one person feels more able to seek help, or to talk to a friend about their struggles. This is life saving stuff and that will never not be worth my time

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I feel you and some other users are missing the point of this, tbh. Sometimes, to achieve better quality, minority/under-represented groups need to have their own "day" or "month" etc. in order to get people to sit up and take notice. No, it may not change the world immediately and no, we should have to have a special day in the first place. But if we didn't have these days and weeks for mental health, would the funding situation be any better? No, it would not. Would the waiting times be any shorter? No.

Having a World Mental Health Day does not change the practical day-to-day implications of having a mental health problem, no. Few things can. But it does not do any harm to anyone, but it CAN make the world of difference. What it CAN do is show people that they are not alone, that there is no need for stigma, and that there is hope and help to be had. And that could literally save someone's life. And even if it's just literally one person's life that is saved, then it is worth doing, imho :yep:

What would really help is someone actually being there, not this ridiculous solidarity bandwagon that comes around once a year.

I still feel just as alone yesterday as I do today on WMHD, and I will just as lonely tomorrow as I do every other day. WMHD will pass and nothing will have changed anywhere. The only thing that makes a real difference to the people who are suffering is capital being invested in key services. But hey, we needed that a decade ago. I'm sure those in charge can wait another 10 years before they actually do something.

But its ok we have WMHD, we are all saved.
What would really help is someone actually being there, not this ridiculous solidarity bandwagon that comes around once a year.

I still feel just as alone yesterday as I do today on WMHD, and I will just as lonely tomorrow as I do every other day. WMHD will pass and nothing will have changed anywhere. The only thing that makes a real difference to the people who are suffering is capital being invested in key services. But hey, we needed that a decade ago. I'm sure those in charge can wait another 10 years before they actually do something.

But its ok we have WMHD, we are all saved.

You're very cynical but also rather naive imho. I'm sorry you personally feel alone, but that doesn't mean everyone does, or that it's not worth doing :nah:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You're very cynical but also rather naive imho. I'm sorry you personally feel alone, but that doesn't mean everyone does, or that it's not worth doing :nah:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cynical, without a doubt. Naive, not at all. But I'm glad it is your honest opinion and not just opinion, it really makes all the difference.

It is a waste of time and probably money, I assume someone had to spend some cold cash publishing all the material. Could have been better suited to actual support.
(edited 7 years ago)

It is a waist of time and probably money, I assume someone had to spend some cold cash publishing all the material. Could have been better suited to actual support.

Hiya,

Real-life, unpaid person here that really cares about mental health and the users of this site. This material, all of it, was published out of the goodness of our volunteers' hearts. None of us are paid and all of us work day in, day out, supporting members of TSR with everything we can. That includes support in the Mental Health forum (see the MHSS). We do it because we care, because it's important and because awareness is needed. We do it because we want to, not because we have to.

I hope that clears things up.
Original post by iEthan
Hiya,

Real-life, unpaid person here that really cares about mental health and the users of this site. This material, all of it, was published out of the goodness of our volunteers' hearts. None of us are paid and all of us work day in, day out, supporting members of TSR with everything we can. That includes support in the Mental Health forum (see the MHSS). We do it because we care, because it's important and because awareness is needed. We do it because we want to, not because we have to.

I hope that clears things up.

I'm talking about professional publications such as those produced by the Mental Health Foundation or those crap leaflets you can get at the doctors. The ones that cost money to produce and divert money for service which could worthwhile and helpful.

I hope that clarifies my position, I don't intend to discredit the volunteers who as I understand can be very helpful.
Reply 13
Guys can we please keep any posts in this thread (and threads in general) both civil and constructive. Alot of time was put into making awareness threads for World Mental Health Day by our amazing team of volunteers and the amazing community we have here in the Mental Health forum.

In my humble opinion; you have to start somewhere with awareness things - even if it's something small like people making content out of the goodness of their hearts for days like today. If no conversations are had, there's absolutely zero chance of things like the lack of mental health funding changing.
Original post by Deyesy
Guys can we please keep any posts in this thread (and threads in general) both civil and constructive. Alot of time was put into making awareness threads for World Mental Health Day by our amazing team of volunteers and the amazing community we have here in the Mental Health forum.

In my humble opinion; you have to start somewhere with awareness things - even if it's something small like people making content out of the goodness of their hearts for days like today. If no conversations are had, there's absolutely zero chance of things like the lack of mental health funding changing.

Sorry :colondollar: :getmecoat: :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deyesy

That is my bad, got a little carried away.

Good thing we are having this conversation really, otherwise the thread would have gone to waste.
Alas WMHD has passed and been forgotten till next year when we can all jump on the band wagon again.
Reply 17
Alas WMHD has passed and been forgotten till next year when we can all jump on the band wagon again.

I've read elsewhere that you've had a bad experience with mh services etc. I was sorry to read that, because I have had my fair share of being messed around also.

However, no one here on TSR is jumping on the bandwagon when it comes to mental health and promoting it in order to reduce the stigma. We actively promote this throughout the year. This is not a one off, a yearly thing, for us. Your bitterness, in a way, disrespects the hard work put in by the site to raise mental health awareness.

If you feel as if though that people are bandwagon jumping, then there is a simple step you can take: talk about mental health yourself. Be open about it. Because the more open we are, the less bandwagon jumping as people will be more willing to discuss such things daily, rather than on a certain day or week of the year.

Anyway, I've said my piece. We are all entitled to our opinions. I respect yours. I just don't agree with it.
Original post by Airmed
I've read elsewhere that you've had a bad experience with mh services etc. I was sorry to read that, because I have had my fair share of being messed around also.

However, no one here on TSR is jumping on the bandwagon when it comes to mental health and promoting it in order to reduce the stigma. We actively promote this throughout the year. This is not a one off, a yearly thing, for us. Your bitterness, in a way, disrespects the hard work put in by the site to raise mental health awareness.

If you feel as if though that people are bandwagon jumping, then there is a simple step you can take: talk about mental health yourself. Be open about it. Because the more open we are, the less bandwagon jumping as people will be more willing to discuss such things daily, rather than on a certain day or week of the year.

Anyway, I've said my piece. We are all entitled to our opinions. I respect yours. I just don't agree with it.

:congrats:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know where you get the idea this is some kind of bandwagon. Take a look at the MH forum any day of the year and you'll see people talking about mental illness and people trying to offer advice - even if that advice is just "you're not alone". I know obviously us offering or seeking advice isn't the same as seeing a psychiatrist, but, as you seem to be well-aware, there are often huge waits and during those people can seek out other support. It can also be a kick up the ass. I think I probably never would have gone to my doctor if it wasn't for the responses I received when posting asking for advice here and I know that's the case for many other people too.

Quick Reply

Latest