The Student Room Group

It might be nice to have no sexual or romantic desire

Hi, just a random thought I've been having.

Sometimes, I kind of wish I didn't experience sexual/romantic desire. Having crushes on boys has caused me a lot of aggravation - jealousy and stuff like that. I really do feel as though it brings out the absolute worst in me. I often wonder what my life would be like if I had zero interest in sexual and romantic relationships. I feel like I would be feeling jealous, down and pressured a lot less, but how can I possibly know?

Like I often feel sad about being single, about having no one to 'cuddle' - I think it would be quite nice if I had no interest whatsoever in finding someone to cuddle, to love me. I would be forced to gain my satisfaction elsewhere, through hobbies for example, which can only be a good thing I think. I often hear of people being obsessed with one person, who doesn't feel the same way, for like 5 years and I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than that! So much time wasted.

I hate how I find myself pining for a relationship. I hate how I sometimes feel 'hollow' and as though I'm majorly missing out. I hate how I feel as though a relationship will complete me, make me happier, make me feel 'grown-up'. I just wonder what I would desire if I didn't desire romantic relationships. What would be my passion?

I'm glad I've put this out there
(edited 7 years ago)
I've sometimes thought about how much time this all takes up to. Seems a waste in a way, like sleeping.
Reply 2
Yeah, unfortunately we're built to be fascinated with sex and reproducing. It's just our natural obligation, and it's hard to combat it when society's throwing everything at you through television, internet, radio, books, etc. Granted, some people do a really good job of staying celibate and not caring about it. I'm like you, I wish I didn't care either, but you do, and it will always be on your mind.

There's a quote by Kierkegaard that goes,
"My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it you will regret both."

Makes you think.
I don't really feel sexual attraction but Ive had a romantic crush for years and it does cause lots of upset. I can't enjoy my life because of it.
Original post by Joel 96
Yeah, unfortunately we're built to be fascinated with sex and reproducing. It's just our natural obligation, and it's hard to combat it when society's throwing everything at you through television, internet, radio, books, etc. Granted, some people do a really good job of staying celibate and not caring about it. I'm like you, I wish I didn't care either, but you do, and it will always be on your mind.

"My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it you will regret both."

Makes you think.

I don't get that quote, how can you regret something that turns out to be a long term relationship.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I don't get that quote, how can you regret something that turns out to be a long term relationship.

Kierkegaard lived his life in seeing intolerable incompatibilities. He's quite similar to the philosopher Schopenhauer who believed that humans were only motivated by their own basic desires, that happiness could never be fully reached. The quote, "Directly after copulation, the devil’s laughter is heard” is the realisation that we're not fully in control of our own actions in regards to sex; that we're purely driven by a biological code.
Original post by lamaragymnast
I've sometimes thought about how much time this all takes up to. Seems a waste in a way, like sleeping.
Yes, exactly. A waste of energy and feelings. At least you can gain something from sleep
Original post by Joel 96

Makes you think.
it takes a very strong will indeed to resist the pressure put on us to get into a relationship, to desire sex and I truly admire people who aren't at all interested.

I don't want to end up getting into a relationship just because I'm desperate.

That is a very inspiring quote and can be applicable in any situation, really
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
Yes, exactly. A waste of energy and feelings. At least you can gain something from sleep

Then there'd be no humans left after about 100 years. Unless certain men were selected to donate sperm and women to be inseminated to keep the human race going. Very romantic.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't really feel sexual attraction but Ive had a romantic crush for years and it does cause lots of upset. I can't enjoy my life because of it.
I really feel for you. I am often prone to really 'obsess' over my crushes when I get them and then I feel pathetic and that I don't have a life of my own because I'm focusing on this other person who is not interested/has no idea I exist. It's just so stupid, such a bloody waste of time and feelings. I really do hope that you find the happiness that you deserve soon :smile:
Original post by lamaragymnast
Then there'd be no humans left after about 100 years. Unless certain men were selected to donate sperm and women to be inseminated to keep the human race going. Very romantic.
Yes that's very true. I don't see successful relationships as a waste, only pining over someone who isn't interested
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
Hi, just a random thought I've been having.

Sometimes, I kind of wish I didn't experience sexual/romantic desire. Having crushes on boys has caused me a lot of aggravation - jealousy and stuff like that. I really do feel as though it brings out the absolute worst in me. I often wonder what my life would be like if I had zero interest in sexual and romantic relationships. I feel like I would be feeling jealous, down and pressured a lot less, but how can I possibly know?

Like I often feel sad about being single, about having no one to 'cuddle' - I think it would be quite nice if I had no interest whatsoever in finding someone to cuddle, to love me. I would be forced to gain my satisfaction elsewhere, through hobbies for example, which can only be a good thing I think. I often hear of people being obsessed with one person, who doesn't feel the same way, for like 5 years and I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than that! So much time wasted.

I hate how I find myself pining for a relationship. I hate how I sometimes feel 'hollow' and as though I'm majorly missing out. I hate how I feel as though a relationship will complete me, make me happier, make me feel 'grown-up'. I just wonder what I would desire if I didn't desire romantic relationships. What would be my passion?

I'm glad I've put this out there

I agree it would be better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending