The Student Room Group

What have been your experiences on Tinder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Sort of the same, nothing really bad though like on Tinder.

And, according to my guy friends, there are a lot of bots on there, haven't come across any myself though.

And, aww, I see what you mean, not that much info you can fit on your Tinder profile, also most people choose not to put much anyway lol.

I am guessing you are female?

I doubt you encounter bots as a female since the bots will target males as they are far more easy to 'sexually distract'. Far more likely to see an illicit picture, click it and do something stupid. You do get them on Okcupid but tbh they are deleted really really quick during the day and within a few hours at night.

Indeed. Clearly Tinder is there for sex mostly. Although with girls on online dating often they just do it for attention and an ego boost. So that's a thing too and it is very common on tinder more so even than other ones since it is so casual. Okcupid makes you fill out your profile more and answer like 5questions which people casually joining the app for the ego boost will not do.
Original post by RobML
I know what one is, but I don't know in what way they'd be defined on an app designed for casual hookups

It's basically the guy's that lie, saying that they want something serious, when they have no intentions of getting serious. Also, even if you're in a fwb situation, there's no reason to treat the other person like s***. But, that's another tirade for another day. :wink:
Original post by TorpidPhil
I am guessing you are female?

I doubt you encounter bots as a female since the bots will target males as they are far more easy to 'sexually distract'. Far more likely to see an illicit picture, click it and do something stupid. You do get them on Okcupid but tbh they are deleted really really quick during the day and within a few hours at night.

Indeed. Clearly Tinder is there for sex mostly. Although with girls on online dating often they just do it for attention and an ego boost. So that's a thing too and it is very common on tinder more so even than other ones since it is so casual. Okcupid makes you fill out your profile more and answer like 5questions which people casually joining the app for the ego boost will not do.

Yeah lol.

And, yeah true.

Do you have to pay for Pof?
Yeah lol.

And, yeah true.

Do you have to pay for Pof?

OKC and POF are both free. POF is somewhere inbetween Tinder and OKC. It's pretty bad tbh though. I only check for new members on that.

A good trick with dating sites is to only speak to new members - if they just made the account then they are far more likely to meet you and be serious about wanting to find a partner than someone who has had an account for 8months... or 8 years. People who have had it a long time are either extremely picky, or extremely unattractive (not merely physically but for whatever reason; otherwise why are they not took?). And there won't be ceaseless new members a week. Maybe only 20 or so within the local area. So it is easy to check their profiles on a saturday and message the ones who interest you. Way more time efficient than just looking for who is online. Although another trick is only to message people who are online at that time. It makes them far more likely to respond - people get lots and lots of messages over night (well, girls do, guys get none :biggrin:) and they just won't respond to them most of the time. But if they see a fresh message pop up live they will be more curious and if it is a good message the chance of response is really high.
OKC and POF are both free. POF is somewhere inbetween Tinder and OKC. It's pretty bad tbh though. I only check for new members on that.

A good trick with dating sites is to only speak to new members - if they just made the account then they are far more likely to meet you and be serious about wanting to find a partner than someone who has had an account for 8months... or 8 years. People who have had it a long time are either extremely picky, or extremely unattractive (not merely physically but for whatever reason; otherwise why are they not took?). And there won't be ceaseless new members a week. Maybe only 20 or so within the local area. So it is easy to check their profiles on a saturday and message the ones who interest you. Way more time efficient than just looking for who is online. Although another trick is only to message people who are online at that time. It makes them far more likely to respond - people get lots and lots of messages over night (well, girls do, guys get none :biggrin:) and they just won't respond to them most of the time. But if they see a fresh message pop up live they will be more curious and if it is a good message the chance of response is really high.

Okay. :smile:

And, yeah true. :smile:
Have you had much success?

I've actually not done bad on Tinder, I'm kind of seeing someone :colondollar:, but had to get through loooooooaads of f***boys lol.
Okay. :smile:

And, yeah true. :smile:
Have you had much success?

I've actually not done bad on Tinder, I'm kind of seeing someone :colondollar:, but had to get through loooooooaads of f***boys lol.

Probably had about 4 dates via POF. And about 6 via OKC since I started roughly June last year. I met my only serious relationship girlfriend via OKC and we dated for 9months until she had to go home to a country far far away as she was an international student. Other than that I've dated folk but it never really went anywhere and/or they just weren't right for me.

Currently dating someone that I met via POF though atm. And actually I am rather optimistic. On paper she seems more suited than any girl I've ever spoke to before in my life for me. Hopefully I reciprocate that for her haha. However I've only met her once so far, so I probably need to calm myself down. But when she's extremely mature despite being 18, into philosophy and video games... Hmm. It's like heaven xD
Probably had about 4 dates via POF. And about 6 via OKC since I started roughly June last year. I met my only serious relationship girlfriend via OKC and we dated for 9months until she had to go home to a country far far away as she was an international student. Other than that I've dated folk but it never really went anywhere and/or they just weren't right for me.

Currently dating someone that I met via POF though atm. And actually I am rather optimistic. On paper she seems more suited than any girl I've ever spoke to before in my life for me. Hopefully I reciprocate that for her haha. However I've only met her once so far, so I probably need to calm myself down. But when she's extremely mature despite being 18, into philosophy and video games... Hmm. It's like heaven xD

Aww, I see what you mean, I've had the same. :frown:

And, that's great that you've met someone, I hope it goes well for you. :smile:
Reply 47
It's basically the guy's that lie, saying that they want something serious, when they have no intentions of getting serious. Also, even if you're in a fwb situation, there's no reason to treat the other person like s***. But, that's another tirade for another day. :wink:

Personal experience? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Personal experience? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sort of :frown:, it's complicated.
Reply 49

You should twist their nipples until they scream

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
You should twist their nipples until they scream

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: :rofl: good idea

Sad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :rofl:

I'll get over it though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RobML
How is a ****boi as on tinder defined?

Sleezy, only wants to meet up for casual sex, sends dick pics, slides a sexual innuendo into every other message
Yeah :rofl:

I'll get over it though.

Awww, I know you will <3
Only swipe right 4 "no strings attached"
Original post by Rhaenys10
Awww, I know you will <3
Only swipe right 4 "no strings attached"

PROSM :rofl: :rofl:
I've met a few people who I'm still friends with. I was seeing a guy who I met on there but he's just gone travelling :frown:
I found I got a lot more creepy and sexual messages on okcupid than on tinder. There are a lot of guys who are just on for hook ups, but quite a few who want something more meaningful.
Original post by Ella-keturah
I've met a few people who I'm still friends with. I was seeing a guy who I met on there but he's just gone travelling :frown:
I found I got a lot more creepy and sexual messages on okcupid than on tinder. There are a lot of guys who are just on for hook ups, but quite a few who want something more meaningful.

It's good that you met friends on there. :smile:
I believe that people are just avoiding the real-life pain of going out and meeting people
It just feels like if you're not good enough in their eyes you'll send a message and eve if you try to hold a conversation they'll just move on when they get 'bored'
What I think would work better is if we were taught nowadays that we shouldn't just chase after good looks but more so personality
sure one could say they wouldn't want someone who is ugly fair enough
But I would say what about their personality aren't they more than just someone to look at someone who has depth and authenticity rather than a lot of people who just flex materialistic things in order to feel accepted in this world
Why do people have to be the best looking or be perfect to actually be with someone I just don't ever know if I'll ever be good enough
Personally had really good experiences on Tinder and similar apps - perhaps because I'm a girl willing to actually meet guys I'm interested in, but I never struggle to get matches with people I get on really well with. The vast majority of people on there are literally just normal people looking for friends/girlfriends/casual sex, just watch out for the minority of ****bois (I feel like I'm pretty good at swiping left on them).

It definitely works best when you're super upfront about what you actually want from there! I make it clear that I'm not up for hookups but also open to something casual (funnily enough guys are more than happy with this...) and so it avoids any later confusion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending