The Student Room Group

Actuary or Computer Science UNI COURSE!!

Basically I'm really interested in doing CS at uni and could quite easily see myself becoming a developer of some sorts, but I'm also having thoughts on becoming an actuary seeing as they need programming although it's mainly Maths based.

My dilemma is that my grades are not outstanding, AACd (Maths, Econ, FMaths, CompSci) although I'm retaking CompSci AS and taking A2. I know my CompSci grade at As wasn't good due to a number of issues but I do see myself getting at least an A in CompSci at A level. Also I'm taking classes in C# and a year experience at a software development company so I hope my CompSci grade at As wont be an issue (I got an A at GCSE). My questions are how likely am I to get offers from RG unis in CompSci (AAB-AAA), If I don't get offers could I apply on results day with the required grades and still get in and what would be the best course option for keeping Computing and Acturial jobs still open in the future although I'm happy doing a masters conversion?? I think Maths and CompSci might be the best but I know my FMaths grade might prove a problem.

Thanks in advance (I hope I have placed this in the right area after getting no replies the first time around)
Hi, I think the most important thing to consider is what career you'd like to go into. If you're certain that you'd like to be an actuary, then actuarial science would be the best degree to do. However, if you are not so sure, a degree in computer science will probably give you more career options, including being an actuary.
Do you know what your predicted grades are yet?
And on results day, you can apply to courses through clearing if your grades are lower than expected. In addition, there is something called 'adjustment' which is where you can apply to 'better' unis than the ones you received offers from if you end up achieving higher grades than your predictions. For example, if you apply for course A at university X with requirements AAB, they accept you, and then you end up getting A*AA, you could apply to study course A at university Y which is better than university X. I hope that makes sense. :tongue:
@shyperson
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Hi, I think the most important thing to consider is what career you'd like to go into. If you're certain that you'd like to be an actuary, then actuarial science would be the best degree to do. However, if you are not so sure, a degree in computer science will probably give you more career options, including being an actuary.
Do you know what your predicted grades are yet?
And on results day, you can apply to courses through clearing if your grades are lower than expected. In addition, there is something called 'adjustment' which is where you can apply to 'better' unis than the ones you received offers from if you end up achieving higher grades than your predictions. For example, if you apply for course A at university X with requirements AAB, they accept you, and then you end up getting A*AA, you could apply to study course A at university Y which is better than university X. I hope that makes sense. :tongue:
@shyperson

Hey thanks for the reply, I think I will properly take cs at uni because it gives me more options but do uni's care (im mean RG unis) that I already have a levels and that i got a D in CompSci at As even though I planning to take as and a2 in my gap year?? Also if I was to get A* in compsci this year, it would leave me with A*AAC, could I apply to Durham or UCL on results day??
Original post by shyperson
Hey thanks for the reply, I think I will properly take cs at uni because it gives me more options but do uni's care (im mean RG unis) that I already have a levels and that i got a D in CompSci at As even though I planning to take as and a2 in my gap year?? Also if I was to get A* in compsci this year, it would leave me with A*AAC, could I apply to Durham or UCL on results day??

You could ask a teacher (preferably your computer science teacher) to write in your reference that you are capable of achieving an A* in this subject and that the grade you got for AS does not reflect your true potential. Alternatively, you could discuss in your personal statement that you'll be retaking computer science in your gap year. Or you could do both!

If you got A*AAC this year, then I don't see why Durham or UCL wouldn't accept you, unless of course there were no more spaces on the course. Usually, they only take into account your top three grades at A-level.
Also, would you want to retake any further maths modules? Maths is one of the easiest A-levels to self-teach due to the amount of resources online and it's only about £16 to resit an individual module.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending