The Student Room Group

prescription acne medications

i've been on prescriptions for acne for longer than i can remember but recently my doctor changed my prescription to treclin, from one that actually really worked for me. this has resulted in painful under the skin spots and incredibly oily skin. has anyone been given a really great acne prescription? preferably one with benzoyl peroxide. I was on epiduo before which was great for me but they recommended i stop due to the antibiotic element.
You really need to talk to your GP about this. It may be a question of experimenting with a few to see what works best for you. I've recently started using tea tree oil face wash from the Body Shop which seems to work for me.
Original post by s1s9s9s5
i've been on prescriptions for acne for longer than i can remember but recently my doctor changed my prescription to treclin, from one that actually really worked for me. this has resulted in painful under the skin spots and incredibly oily skin. has anyone been given a really great acne prescription? preferably one with benzoyl peroxide. I was on epiduo before which was great for me but they recommended i stop due to the antibiotic element.

Have you tried quite a few different treatments already? I had pretty awful acne as a teen and tried numerous ointments etc to no avail. The doctor referred me to a dermatologist who prescribed roaccutane which got rid of my acne completely. It might be worth discussing with your doctor, there are side effects though. (I luckily only suffered from very dry skin as a side effect.)
Reply 3
Original post by Precious Illusions
Have you tried quite a few different treatments already? I had pretty awful acne as a teen and tried numerous ointments etc to no avail. The doctor referred me to a dermatologist who prescribed roaccutane which got rid of my acne completely. It might be worth discussing with your doctor, there are side effects though. (I luckily only suffered from very dry skin as a side effect.)

Hi thanks for replying! Yes i was on a 7 month course of roaccutane around 6 years ago which worked for about a year then my acne returned. since then i've been on epiduo constantly and worked brilliantly but now i've been taken off it i'm back to stage one unfortunately. going to see my gp tomorrow to request something stronger
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
You really need to talk to your GP about this. It may be a question of experimenting with a few to see what works best for you. I've recently started using tea tree oil face wash from the Body Shop which seems to work for me.

oh i've been on near enough every acne prescription available over the years haha! just wondering if anyone could suggest something i haven't yet tried/something new as the GP isn't that confident.
Original post by s1s9s9s5
Hi thanks for replying! Yes i was on a 7 month course of roaccutane around 6 years ago which worked for about a year then my acne returned. since then i've been on epiduo constantly and worked brilliantly but now i've been taken off it i'm back to stage one unfortunately. going to see my gp tomorrow to request something stronger

Oh that sucks, sorry to hear that :frown: I can imagine how frustrating that is! Hopefully they give you something that reacts better with your skin. Do you have specific moisturisers etc? Sometimes changing those can help too.
Reply 6
Original post by Precious Illusions
Oh that sucks, sorry to hear that :frown: I can imagine how frustrating that is! Hopefully they give you something that reacts better with your skin. Do you have specific moisturisers etc? Sometimes changing those can help too.

I went back to the doctor today and she put me back on the gel i was on originally! success! hopefully my skin will be back to normal within a few days :smile:

Quick Reply