The Student Room Group

Mocked for budget "cooking"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
I think you're being pedantic - all I am interested in is how the OP reported how it made them feel. Would it hurt you awfully to be a little kinder with your words, Trinculo?

No, not really. The internet is enough of an echo chamber as it is. If you read back the standard responses to this thread, all that will happen is the OP will get a heightened sense of paranoia and victimisation. It's just a bunch of people telling him he's right and that everyone else is terrible, and that he should just go ahead doing whatever he wants - on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.
Do you not see any potential problems with that?
Original post by Precious Illusions
Maybe it is - hence why I said it's best to just ignore it as opposed to telling them to **** off, which would be an unnecessary reaction. OP said he's been made fun of for a few days, which suggests a few comments have been made. OP may well be sensitive about the subject, which makes constant comments, even if they're meant in a lighthearted way, quite annoying.

Quite obviously not, hence the 'ignore it'. It's THEIR issue with what he eats if they continue to mock him or whatever.

I get what you're trying to do - offer some comfort - but is that really the best idea? What about all the people sanctimoniously telling him that he can "eat really well on a budget" - isn't that exactly the same thing? That's the ultimate middle-class nannying - you poor soul, not knowing that there is low cost food other than Iceland dinosaur chicken nuggets.
I think you're being pedantic - all I am interested in is how the OP reported how it made them feel. Would it hurt you awfully to be a little kinder with your words, Trinculo? For the sake of a fresher in his/her first week?

I still think you need to change your avatar.
Original post by Trinculo
No, not really. The internet is enough of an echo chamber as it is. If you read back the standard responses to this thread, all that will happen is the OP will get a heightened sense of paranoia and victimisation. It's just a bunch of people telling him he's right and that everyone else is terrible, and that he should just go ahead doing whatever he wants - on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.
Do you not see any potential problems with that?

You are assuming that everything is a court of law and unless there is some sort of categorical evidence we should automatically dismiss something rather than giving the benefit of the doubt. We're talking about the OPs feelings here. And yes, you might be right in that the person is a little bit more sensitive than average, and if it were you , you'd probably not feel like this. But feelings aren't really amenable to such analysis and neither should they be. What I'm saying is that a little kindness can go a long way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Longshot002
I still think you need to change your avatar.

:smile: (I won't)
(edited 7 years ago)
You are assuming that everything is a court of law and unless their is some sort of categorical evidence we should automatically dismiss something rather than giving the benefit of the doubt. We're talking about the OPs feelings here. And yes, you might be right in that the person is a little bit more sensitive than average, and if it were you , you'd probably not feel like this. But feelings aren't really amenable to such analysis. What I'm saying is that a little kindness can go a long way.

The opposite is just as true - just because someone posts it - doesn't mean it's true. Someone could have said "Fred, are you having chicken nuggets AGAIN?" after Fred has had chicken nuggets for 5 days straight. Is that mockery? If the OP is just sensitive - well that's that. You can't do anything about another person's threshold for offence. There's no need to be mean, but equally you shouldn't feed their sense of victimhood.
The opposite is just as true - just because someone posts it - doesn't mean it's true. Someone could have said "Fred, are you having chicken nuggets AGAIN?" after Fred has had chicken nuggets for 5 days straight. Is that mockery? If the OP is just sensitive - well that's that. You can't do anything about another person's threshold for offence. There's no need to be mean, but equally you shouldn't feed their sense of victimhood.

We can agree on your final two sentences.
I get what you're trying to do - offer some comfort - but is that really the best idea? What about all the people sanctimoniously telling him that he can "eat really well on a budget" - isn't that exactly the same thing? That's the ultimate middle-class nannying - you poor soul, not knowing that there is low cost food other than Iceland dinosaur chicken nuggets.

No, and personally I don't agree with the people telling him he can eat well on a budget. Of course he can. But OP has said he's happy with what he's eating. If I were happy with what I were eating, and people were taking the piss out of me regularly or making snarky comments or mocking me in whatever way they're mocking OP I'd be annoyed about it but I wouldn't react. Ignoring it is certainly the best option.
Original post by Callum323
Thank you for the advice everyone :h: I'll check out those budget cooking websites. I should learn to cook anyway, it's probably not healthy to live on frozen stuff for a whole year. Also it's Warwick uni for the person that wanted to know. Thank god I didn't go to my other choice of Exeter, I would have been driven out by now :s-smilie:

Exeter is a lovely place and an excellent university.
No, and personally I don't agree with the people telling him he can eat well on a budget. Of course he can. But OP has said he's happy with what he's eating. If I were happy with what I were eating, and people were taking the piss out of me regularly or making snarky comments or mocking me in whatever way they're mocking OP I'd be annoyed about it but I wouldn't react. Ignoring it is certainly the best option.

No, he hasn't. If anything, he's said he should eat better.
No, he hasn't. If anything, he's said he should eat better.

I've only just seen OP's above comment - I was referring to his original comment in the OP "I also don't care what I eat, if it keeps me alive then I'm fine, frozen veg won't kill me." Which suggested he wasn't that fussed about food or cooking. If he wants to learn how to cook etc then great. And it does change the situation, but I still think it's crappy to mock someone for their food choices.
I've only just seen OP's above comment - I was referring to his original comment in the OP "I also don't care what I eat, if it keeps me alive then I'm fine, frozen veg won't kill me." Which suggested he wasn't that fussed about food or cooking. If he wants to learn how to cook etc then great. And it does change the situation, but I still think it's crappy to mock someone for their food choices.

If that is what actually happened.

I think the OPs comments about Exeter are the most telling.
It's a week into uni and I've been made fun of for the a few days for eating just sandwiches and frozen food. I applied too late for a bursary because I didn't know they were available. Everyone else spends about an hour in the kitchen dinner using brand name foods, making something different every day or going for a take away that costs them ~£10 for one meal.

I can't afford much due to my tight budget, and my family's not very well off either so they can't give me much support. My "treat" for the week was tesco orange juice instead of tesco cordial. I also don't care what I eat, if it keeps me alive then I'm fine, frozen veg won't kill me. Looking through "student cookbooks", every meal has 15 expensive ingredients that I'll use once then have to throw away.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I just tell them to go **** themselves?

1 slice of bead buttered 2 rashers of bacon1 egg 3 cherry tomatoes fry it all eat with brown sauce then see who's laughing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reduced food sections in supermarkets and the freezer were my savior, as was industrial sized bags of pasta and rice. You'll start getting creative too - hot-dog-pasta-bake is surprisingly tasty and costs less than £1 a portion....
It's a week into uni and I've been made fun of for the a few days for eating just sandwiches and frozen food. I applied too late for a bursary because I didn't know they were available. Everyone else spends about an hour in the kitchen dinner using brand name foods, making something different every day or going for a take away that costs them ~£10 for one meal.

I can't afford much due to my tight budget, and my family's not very well off either so they can't give me much support. My "treat" for the week was tesco orange juice instead of tesco cordial. I also don't care what I eat, if it keeps me alive then I'm fine, frozen veg won't kill me. Looking through "student cookbooks", every meal has 15 expensive ingredients that I'll use once then have to throw away.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I just tell them to go **** themselves?

Your flatmates sound like retards and spoiled little pussies TBH

Stand up for urself

Also, appeal the bursary date, worth a shot eh!
(edited 7 years ago)
try tuna pasta bake with grated chedder on top that is so good one dish of that lasted me 2 days lunch and supper.
Original post by jonathanemptage
try tuna pasta bake with grated chedder on top that is so good one dish of that lasted me 2 days lunch and supper.

Recipe?

will rep :colone:
Just stare them dead in the eye without an expression on your face.

Spoiler

Original post by PrinceHarrys
Recipe?

will rep :colone:

You will need:
1 tub of homepride pasta bake
1 can of tuna
Pasta
100g (approx) grams of cheddar.
1 baking dish

Here's how

1/ Pour pasta bake in to dish

2/ Add water It will say how much on the tub

3/ Put in a good amount of pasta and stir making sure the pasta is covered in sauce

4/ Open and drain can of tuna put that in as well and stir again.

5/ Follow Instructions on tub for cooking

6/ After the elapsed time Open the oven give i a stir put on your grated cheese and put in for another however long it says on the tub.

7/ Once cooked remove from the oven put some on a plate and eat it put the rest in the fridge covered over for later

to re heat a minute or so in the microwave does it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
You will need:
1 tub of homepride pasta bake
1 can of tuna
Pasta
100g (approx) grams of cheddar.
1 baking dish

Here's how

1/ Pour pasta bake in to dish

2/ Add water It will say how much on the tub

3/ Put in a good amount of pasta and stir making sure the pasta is covered in sauce

4/ Open and drain can of tuna put that in as well and stir again.

5/ Follow Instructions on tub for cooking

6/ After the elapsed time Open the oven give i a stir put on your grated cheese and put in for another however long it says on the tub.

7/ Once cooked remove from the oven put some on a plate and eat it put the rest in the fridge covered over for later

to re heat a minute or so in the microwave does it.

thanks man, repped. Sounds delicious as ****

Quick Reply

Latest