The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why are a lot of Pakistanis ashamed of their ethnicity?

I'm a British Pakistani and it upsets me when I see other countries such as turkey, mexico, Spain having their flags everywhere, being proud of their language and culture. I wish my people were more proud of their culture and would show it off just as much.

is it the medias fault? giving south Asians a bad name?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

because pakistan is a terrible country, hence why pakistanis in the UK don't want to live there anymore
I'm not being "racist" - pakistan is a host to misogyny, rape, homophobia, child violence, child marriage, stark political corruption and authoritarianism, poverty, relative illiteracy, terrorist-protection, etc - compare that to the UK. it's simply not a good country to live in by any metric. why would you think pakistanis should be proud of pakistan? are you saying that any citizen of any country should actually be proud of their country whether or not it is actually good? that's insane. should you encourage north koreas to be supportive of north korea, for instance? "culture" is one thing, but the substantive and holistic reality is quite another
(edited 7 years ago)
Sounds like you're telling us your life story
Omg I LOVE my ethnicity! There's nothing to be ashamed about. I have NEVER been ashamed of my ethnicity. Why should I be? :colonhash:LOL.
I'm sorry for the troll account dissing you. That is not me.
Pakistan is full of dumb sufis
I know one Pakistani girl tgat got offended when I told her she looked Pakistan? Lol
Original post by unaManzana
I'm a British Pakistani and it upsets me when I see other countries such as turkey, mexico, Spain having their flags everywhere, being proud of their language and culture. I wish my people were more proud of their culture and would show it off just as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is it the media's fault if an individual is not proud of his or her ethnicity?

Pride in your heritage is good; more importantly, however, is pride in being part of your community and being a morally 'good' person.
Original post by Aceadria
How is it the media's fault if an individual is not proud of his or her ethnicity?

Pride in your heritage is good; more importantly, however, is pride in being part of your community and being a morally 'good' person.

because the media is known to over exaggerate in an attempt to cause hate and fear

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would never marry anyone from Pakistan

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not ashamed to be pakistani however i do agree that the country is a bit corrupt there are parts of pakistan that are nice but on a hole it is a shithole. There are a lot of perverts, a lot of murder, a lot of abuse to women and children and a lot of rape going on there. So being a feminist i wouldn't particularly say that i think pakistan is a wonderful country however i feel like if the people there were more open-minded it could be something good, i do love my culture but the country is another story.
Original post by kiran.malik123
I'm not ashamed to be pakistani however i do agree that the country is a bit corrupt there are parts of pakistan that are nice but on a hole it is a shithole. There are a lot of perverts, a lot of murder, a lot of abuse to women and children and a lot of rape going on there. So being a feminist i wouldn't particularly say that i think pakistan is a wonderful country however i feel like if the people there were more open-minded it could be something good, i do love my culture but the country is another story.

I agree 100%

still though, mexico is quite similar in terms of corruption

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because...

I'd be ashamed too if I was Pakistani :colone:

Spoiler

Reply 14
apart from having good food i've never heard a good word said about pakistanis or indians, i guess thats why they are ashamed.

from all the bad news that comes from there i can see why they are ashamed. if pakistanis want change they should start to make a change, lets start seeing men treat women equally - no more rapes, 'honour' killings, forced marriages, neglecting girls from being educated, women expected to be housewives, wives expected to live with their husbands families etc
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree 100%

still though, mexico is quite similar in terms of corruption

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is true

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my experience they're quite proud. The ones who appear ashamed are somalians.
Maybe because they're being referred as "terrorist" all the time and keep on getting hate.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Because...

I'd be ashamed too if I was Pakistani :colone:

Spoiler

Love this! I'm Pakistani but Pakistan cricket team is total ****. I've even met Shahid Afridi before, way too arrogant!
I remember being asked if I was Pakistani once I was soooo offended.

Weird part was I don't even know why! I just was.

I am European and Middle Eastern, so I was baffled how I could be confused for a Pakistani.:s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending