The Student Room Group

Do you find racist/sexist/offensive jokes funny?

I do. I think they're absolutely hilarious but feel somewhat guilty for laughing. You?

Scroll to see replies

The funniest jokes are those which are offensive to someone or group of people. And people take offence very easily.
Lol not really, if you need to offend somebody or something to make a joke i would find that it's pretty pathetic more than funny.
Original post by Reality Check
The funniest jokes are those which are offensive to someone or group of people. And people take offence very easily.

Indeed :biggrin: But they're only jokes in the end. No harm warranted.
Original post by kiran.malik123
Lol not really, if you need to offend somebody or something to make a joke i would find that it's pretty pathetic more than funny.

If they take offence that's their fault. No need to get triggered over a joke.
Reply 5
Yeah tbh, I find the backlash against them even funnier. People get offended so easily.
Original post by cbreef
If they take offence that's their fault. No need to get triggered over a joke.

Yeah but words can be hurtful, if i punched someone in the face and said that i was only joking would the punch hurt any less? No because a punch is a punch same way an offensive joke is offensive. Why do you think it's called an 'offensive joke'?
Yeah but words can be hurtful, if i punched someone in the face and said that i was only joking would the punch hurt any less? No because a punch is a punch same way an offensive joke is offensive. Why do you think it's called an 'offensive joke'?

Words can be hurtful, but that doesn't stop them being funny.
Original post by Reality Check
Words can be hurtful, but that doesn't stop them being funny.

It's not funny if you've visibly upset someone.
Reply 9

Physically hurting someone is different to making a joke. You can't avoid being punched (well you can in some situations but hopefully you get what I mean).

Being offended by a stupid joke is like jumping in the way of a bullet and then being upset that you got shot.

Being offended is so easily avoidable by not being ultra sensitive and rising to the bait.

Did you really just compare physically punching someone to a joke? :colonhash:
Original post by ed98
Physically hurting someone is different to making a joke. You can't avoid being punched (well you can in some situations but hopefully you get what I mean).

Being offended by a stupid joke is like jumping in the way of a bullet and then being upset that you got shot.

Being offended is so easily avoidable by not being ultra sensitive and rising to the bait.

Some people can't help being sensitive therefore they can't avoid being offended because it naturally comes to them, like saying that people don't have a right to get upset over a joke that was made to offend them is being insensitive.
It depends wholly on the context and situation.
When people get triggered on TSR it's funny af, when you're in a lecture and some neckbeard tells some girl to make a sandwhich it's seriously cringey for everyone involved.

I get that humour is subjective, but there's only so far you can push social boundaries before looking like a social reject.
Original post by cbreef
Did you really just compare physically punching someone to a joke? :colonhash:

If you're making a joke that is supposed to offend someone it's kinda the same as punching them the only difference is that punching someone classes as physical abuse whereas taking the piss out of someone is verbal and emotional abuse.
Some people can't help being sensitive therefore they can't avoid being offended because it naturally comes to them, like saying that people don't have a right to get upset over a joke that was made to offend them is being insensitive.

The joke in many ways isn't necessarily out to hurt their feelings. It's just humour, although I will admit, sometimes you have to draw the line (holocaust jokes, 9/11 jokes can be in bad taste).
A joke is considered to be offensive when it's about a certain demographic, be it women, blacks, Indians etc...
(edited 7 years ago)
in certain contexts, sure - if the context is that nobody in the conversation was actually racist/sexist (etc) then it would be humour on account of inappropriateness (to parody what racists/sexists sound like) or shock-comedy
Original post by cbreef
I do. I think they're absolutely hilarious but feel somewhat guilty for laughing. You?

Very funny and I don't feel guilty at all because it's all bants and it doesn't reflect on me as a person for laughing at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cbreef
The joke in many ways isn't necessarily out to hurt their feelings. It's just humour, although I will admit, sometimes you have to draw the line (holocaust jokes, 9/11 jokes can be in bad taste).

I do agree with that, like i get so angry if someone makes sexist jokes or comments like i really don't find them funny i don't find jokes about murder or rape funny either i guess everyone is different.

It's just bants though. I have a friend who is Muslim btw and often makes jokes about how much curry he eats. It only offends the people who want to be offended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
Very funny and I don't feel guilty at all because it's all bants and it doesn't reflect on me as a person for laughing at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it shows you have a great sense of humour :tongue: and don't get your panties in a twist at a harmless (by intention anyway) joke.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest