The Student Room Group

Is λ*(AUB) >= λ*(A)+λ*(B)?

Let λ* be the Lebesgue outer measure. Suppose A and B are disjoint intervals. And they are subsets of R.

Is it true that λ*(AUB) >= λ*(A)+λ*(B)?

I want to show λ*(AUB) = λ*(A)+λ*(B) but so far have only managed to show λ*(AUB) <= λ*(A)+λ*(B) using countable subadditivity.

Any ideas how to get the inequality I need to finish this off?

The only tools I have are the properties of λ* (countable subadditivity, monotonicity)

Any help?
Original post by cliveb2016
Let λ* be the Lebesgue outer measure. Suppose A and B are disjoint intervals. And they are subsets of R.

λ*(AUB) = λ*(A)+λ*(B)

Isn't this false as stated, for general subsets of R? You need both A and B to be Lebesgue measurable to get to work, I think, unless I'm misreading you. For the case when they are Lebesgue measurable, the proof that I have seen proceeds from definition of the Caratheodory criterion.
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
Isn't this false as stated, for general subsets of R? You need both A and B to be Lebesgue measurable to get to work, I think, unless I'm misreading you. For the case when they are Lebesgue measurable, the proof that I have seen proceeds from definition of the Caratheodory criterion.

Well A and B are both intervals rather than general subsets so they are Lebesgue measurable.
Well A and B are both intervals rather than general subsets so they are Lebesgue measurable.

Fair enough - I missed this. Then maybe my comment re: the Caratheodory criterion will help - I'm afraid I can't give a better hint without looking up the proof myself, I'm afraid.

Is it true that λ*(AUB) >= λ*(A)+λ*(B)?

I want to show λ*(AUB) = λ*(A)+λ*(B) but so far have only managed to show λ*(AUB) <= λ*(A)+λ*(B) using countable subadditivity.

Any ideas how to get the inequality I need to finish this off?

The only tools I have are the properties of λ* (countable subadditivity, monotonicity)

Any help?

The quickest way i can think of for this is to go through the standard proof that the outer lebesgue measure of an interval is its length, and then think about the interval A U B U C where C is the bit between the intervals A and B.
Reply 5
Original post by Gregorius
The quickest way i can think of for this is to go through the standard proof that the outer lebesgue measure of an interval is its length, and then think about the interval A U B U C where C is the bit between the intervals A and B.

Suppose the Lebesgue outer measure of an interval (a,b) (can be open closed or half and half) is |b-a|.

Suppose WLOG that the intervals are positive and can be split as A=[a,b], B=[c,d] and C=(b,c) where a<b<c<d.

Suppose that the intervals are also finite (since if not inequality holds trivially)

Then λ*(AUBUC)-λ*(C) = λ*(AUB) = (d-a)-(c-b) >= (b-a)+(d-c)=λ*(A)+λ*(B)

Does that make any sense or have I missed your point completely? I'm not sure about λ*(AUBUC)-λ*(C) = λ*(AUB) .

Thanks
Suppose the Lebesgue outer measure of an interval (a,b) (can be open closed or half and half) is |b-a|.

Suppose WLOG that the intervals are positive and can be split as A=[a,b], B=[c,d] and C=(b,c) where a<b<c<d.

Suppose that the intervals are also finite (since if not inequality holds trivially)

Then λ*(AUBUC)-λ*(C) = λ*(AUB) = (d-a)-(c-b) >= (b-a)+(d-c)=λ*(A)+λ*(B)

Does that make any sense or have I missed your point completely? I'm not sure about λ*(AUBUC)-λ*(C) = λ*(AUB) .

Thanks

The way I went about it was to note that

λ(ABC)=λ(A)+λ(B)+λ(C)\lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B \bigcup C) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) + \lambda^{*}(C)

by the interval property. But then this is

λ((AB)C)λ(AB)+λ(C)\lambda^{*}((A \bigcup B) \bigcup C) \le \lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) + \lambda^{*}(C)

by subadditivity, which then gives you the reverse inequality that you want.
Reply 7
Original post by Gregorius
The way I went about it was to note that

λ(ABC)=λ(A)+λ(B)+λ(C)\lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B \bigcup C) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) + \lambda^{*}(C)

by the interval property. But then this is

λ((AB)C)λ(AB)+λ(C)\lambda^{*}((A \bigcup B) \bigcup C) \le \lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) + \lambda^{*}(C)

by subadditivity, which then gives you the reverse inequality that you want.

I want to prove that
λ(AB)=λ(A)+λ(B)\lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) so I don't think I can't use the interval property.

I actually want to prove this property for just 2 disjoint intervals?
I want to prove that
λ(AB)=λ(A)+λ(B)\lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) so I don't think I can't use the interval property.

My previous post gives you

λ(AB)λ(A)+λ(B)\lambda^{*}(A \bigcup B) \ge \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B)

which was the original inequality you were seeking in order to prove the equality.
I want to prove that

There is a proof that goes something like this:

1. Given ϵ>0\epsilon >0 we can find a countable cover InI_n such that n=0l(In)λ(AB)+ϵ \sum_{n=0}^\infty l(I_n) \le \lambda^*(A \cup B) + \epsilon .

This follows from the infimum definition of the outer measure.

2. Since AB=A \cap B=\emptyset, we can split the InI_n cover into two disjoint covers for A,BA,B.

3. We can apply countable subadditivity of outer measure to complete the inequality with ϵ\epsilon in place.

4. Note that ϵ>0,x<ϵx=0 \forall \epsilon > 0, x < \epsilon \Rightarrow x = 0

Quick Reply

Latest