The Student Room Group

Do you find racist/sexist/offensive jokes funny?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RossB1702
It's just bants though. I have a friend who is Muslim btw and often makes jokes about how much curry he eats. It only offends the people who want to be offended.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get what you mean like if the person is okay with it then it's all good however if the person does not find it funny then i think it's wrong to carry on even though it's blatent that they are offended.
I think I have a good sense of humor, but I personally have never found an offensive joke funny, I just don't really get the appeal of them. Jokes don't have to be offensive to be funny, offensive jokes are just cheap humour really and don't take a lot of thought to come up with
Original post by epage
I think I have a good sense of humor, but I personally have never found an offensive joke funny, I just don't really get the appeal of them. Jokes don't have to be offensive to be funny, offensive jokes are just cheap humour really and don't take a lot of thought to come up with

Each to their own. I also love sciencey/nerd jokes and dark humour. :colone:
Depends, but I find that people that continually pull that 'It's a joke' s*** get annoying, fast, as they seem more interested in getting a rise out of people, as opposed to actually trying to make people laugh.
We need some examples to decide please.

But you can't decide in advance what kind of jokes you find funny. It depends on the individual joke.

Do you find jokes about animals funny? Well, some of them...:dontknow:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Depends, but I find that people that continually pull that 'It's a joke' s*** get annoying, fast, as they seem more interested in getting a rise out of people, as opposed to actually trying to make people laugh.

If people are using "it's a joke" to justify blatant sexism then I get that that can be a bit sh*tty.
Original post by cbreef
Each to their own. I also love sciencey/nerd jokes and dark humour. :colone:

I do love dark/black comedy, I like inside no 9 and the c4 mini series flowers.
Reply 27
Original post by kiran.malik123
Some people can't help being sensitive therefore they can't avoid being offended because it naturally comes to them, like saying that people don't have a right to get upset over a joke that was made to offend them is being insensitive.

Well then surely that's their problem? Other people shouldn't be forced to tread on egg shells around them.
I feel the same way about them that I do any joke. I like them if they're funny.
Original post by cbreef
Well, it shows you have a great sense of humour :tongue: and don't get your panties in a twist at a harmless (by intention anyway) joke.

Yeah exactly. I always make fun of my friend for being short and he takes it as a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
If people are using "it's a joke" to justify blatant sexism then I get that that can be a bit sh*tty.

Yep, unfortunately, I'm around people like that near-enough 24/7 :s-smilie:
Original post by chazwomaq
We need some examples to decide please.

But you can't decide in advance what kind of jokes you find funny. It depends on the individual joke.

Do you find jokes about animals funny? Well, some of them...:dontknow:

Examples are going to be tricky because every one is liable to being deleted by the sensitive little flowers who report things.
Original post by RossB1702
Yeah exactly. I always make fun of my friend for being short and he takes it as a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you SURE?

Have you ever bothered to ask "do you mind me taking the piss out of your height?"

I know a lot of people who laugh along with jokes at their expense with friends because they're afraid that if they say how hurtful those jokes are they'll lose their friends (or get labelled as someone with no sense of humour).

We all have insecurities - what you think is lighthearted joking could be something your friend hates and thinks is actually cruel. It takes nothing to check that someone is ok with being the butt of your jokes.

- Michael Scott, The Office (US version)

I'm not sure with the recent obsession with everything having to be politically correct, people just need to learn how to get thick skin/actually be able to take a joke.
(edited 7 years ago)
I find them hilarious. If told amongst friends or in a welcoming environment (where you can laugh at people - because you KNOW they will receive it well), they're the best type of jokes.

If you're surrounded by people offended by good natured jokes u need some new friends
yes, they’re hilarious.
Reply 36
Yes, in private.
Of course
I'd say yes but there is a line where it stops being funny i have found
Sure. They're jokes. Whether you find them funny or not doesn't change the fact that they are a joke and are therefore not intended to be taken seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending