The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to get into any Ivy League college?

I'm currently in Year 13 studying for my A levels.

My grades for AS Level were:

Maths- A
Physics- A
Biology- A
Geography- A
English Language- C

A Level predicted grades:

Maths- A*
Physics- A*
Biology- A
Further Maths (Self studying)- A

My GCSE grades were a bit poor. Will this affect my chances?

I got 2260 score on my SAT and I'm also doing Maths 2 and Physics.

For extracurriculars I:

- Involved in weekly debates and workshops about Astronomy and Physics where I applied these techniques and experiments to a small club I started in school. (I live in Portugal, so there aren't many opportunities for Astronomy)
- I am also a tutor for GCSE students since last year
- Did community services outside my country (Tanzania, Germany, India)
- Joined a football club, where I did competitions in England
- Wrote 3 articles on my blog although it didn't get very popular
- I took 4 online courses about Astrophysics and read a lot about this field (I was also part of 2 online clubs about Astronomy)

- I also like to play the piano, do martial arts, and I am learning C# as well as the violin on my free time.

I am extremely passionate about the field of Astrophysics and wished to become part of this study.
Are these extracurricular activities enough or do they require more leadership.

Also will my past grades (GCSE), which weren't good, affect my probability of getting accepted?
Reply 1
Original post by shneebnee

Also will my past grades (GCSE), which weren't good, affect my probability of getting accepted?

Yes.
Original post by shneebnee
I'm currently in Year 13 studying for my A levels.

My grades for AS Level were:

Maths- A
Physics- A
Biology- A
Geography- A
English Language- C

A Level predicted grades:

Maths- A*
Physics- A*
Biology- A
Further Maths (Self studying)- A

I got 2260 score on my SAT and I'm also doing Maths 2 and Physics.

For extracurriculars I:

- Involved in weekly debates and workshops about Astronomy and Physics where I applied these techniques and experiments to a small club I started in school. (I live in Portugal, so there aren't many opportunities for Astronomy)
- I am also a tutor for GCSE students since last year
- Did community services outside my country (Tanzania, Germany, India)
- Joined a football club, where I did competitions in England
- Wrote 3 articles on my blog although it didn't get very popular
- I took 4 online courses about Astrophysics and read a lot about this field (I was also part of 2 online clubs about Astronomy)

- I also like to play the piano, do martial arts, and I am learning C# as well as the violin on my free time.

I am extremely passionate about the field of Astrophysics and wished to become part of this study.
Are these extracurricular activities enough or do they require more leadership.

SAT score and grades are solid, but ECs are lacking in depth/notoriety. You have a shot like anyone else applying tbh, just put together the best applications possible (read: put time into your supplement essays and common app personal essay), apply and cross your fingers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
EC's don't really show your passion for your subject, and I think that disadvantages you, but your grades and test scores seem fine. Just score well on Math 2 and Physics, and really focus on your essays- unlike UK universities, those essays can make or break you.

Keep in mind that only 5% of people get accepted,

Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending