The Student Room Group

Deloitte Monitor graduate job 2017

Hello!!

Just wondering how everyone is getting on with graduate process for Deloitte monitor (or other service lines)??

I'm still waiting to hear back on assessment centre I think (they said I've passed the online part but is now under consideration) - has anyone else had any news??
I'm also waiting to hear back on an assessment centre date after passing the online tests and the service line questionnaire for Tax. This confused me though, as the website suggests that there are 2 interviews with no mention of an assessment centre?
Reply 2
Original post by hodgey111
I'm also waiting to hear back on an assessment centre date after passing the online tests and the service line questionnaire for Tax. This confused me though, as the website suggests that there are 2 interviews with no mention of an assessment centre?

Ah see I still haven't been given a service line questionnaire! I passed the tests over a month ago now. I'm not sure for tax but there's defo an AC for monitor

for Tax, it'll just be two interviews - first round and final Partner interview (they say Partner, it'll be a Director who interviews you)

Consulting roles will involve an Assessment Centre, which basically means a group exercise.*
Original post by Fas
for Tax, it'll just be two interviews - first round and final Partner interview (they say Partner, it'll be a Director who interviews you)

Consulting roles will involve an Assessment Centre, which basically means a group exercise.*

Cheers. How do you know this?
Cheers. How do you know this?

did the process last year for Consulting. got the job.*
Reply 6
Original post by Fas

Well done and thank you for the response! Do you have any tips on how to impress at assessment centre??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l.donaldson
Well done and thank you for the response! Do you have any tips on how to impress at assessment centre??

Posted from TSR Mobile

which part, the interview or group exercise?
Original post by Fas

Congratulations. What is the interview process like? Is there a presentation involved?
Reply 9
Original post by Fas
which part, the interview or group exercise?

Group exercise not sure at all what to expect!!
Congratulations. What is the interview process like? Is there a presentation involved?

Sorry for taking so long to reply - work has kept me busy.

Interview process is quite standard - first-round interview which is just a competency interview (it tests your motivation for the firm - so why deloitte? Why this particular area?) - important point to note with these questions is you have to try and make your answer personal, either to you or to them. With competencies its just having an example of the main competencies - teamwork/leadership/problem-solving etc. You should have a think about HOW you do these attributes - so what is your process for problem-solving? How do you function as part of a team, whats your role?

There is also a case study exercise at the first interview. So you'll spend half an hour looking over a case study and making notes on the topics they have outlined, then you'll go in and spend the first 15-20 minutes of the interview discussing the case study with them. Again, the way to do well at this is a) understand the case study but also b) have logical reasoning behind everything you say. They will challenge your assertions, assumptions and anything you say, but aslong as you stick to your guns and your reasoning behind your answer is logical and makes sense, then you're fine. However that said, if you identify that you are wrong and they are right, have the courage to admit that in the interview - but make it clear you understand the reasoning behind WHY you are wrong.

Second (and Final) interview is a rehash of the same, however you get asked questions on your values (i.e. integrity, compassion etc) and commercial awareness is tested here too (can also be tested at the first stage). There is a presentation involved in the final interview, last year it was a 5 minute presentation on a topic they gave to you about a week before.
Original post by l.donaldson
Group exercise not sure at all what to expect!!

Again, apologies for taking so long to reply - so this advice may be redundant but hopefully its not.

Group exercise is really nothing to worry about. They put you in a relatively big group (most group exercises have group sizes of 4-5 whilst at this one you have 7-8) but the advice remains the same.

Be confident. That is the biggest thing they are looking for. They will 100% change the task this year, but last year we were all deciding upon a particular city to host a major event (cannot remember specifically what it was) and we were all given a city to represent. Whilst it is important to argue your case, remember to admit when someone else's "city" is better (i specifically remember telling one of my team members " Ok so actually I think you are right, we should use your venue instead of mine because of this reason....etc etc) - If someone says something you disagree with/challenges your opinion, don't just back down in fear of not looking "nice" have the confidence to say you disagree with so and so and explain why, in a professional manner.

KEEP AN EYE ON TIME. Oh my god this biggest single failing of literally every group exercise ever is running out of time. They deliberately keep the task time-pressured and I would recommend that instead of being the guy who goes "i'll check the time" be the guy who goes right at the start "does anyone have a a watch or a phone in order to keep track of time?" and remember to tell whoever does it (or remind yourself if you are the one doing it) to keep providing regular timing announcements ("got 10 minutes left" etc).

Also, don't be a dick and you'll be fine lol.
Original post by Fas
Sorry for taking so long to reply - work has kept me busy.

Interview process is quite standard - first-round interview which is just a competency interview (it tests your motivation for the firm - so why deloitte? Why this particular area?) - important point to note with these questions is you have to try and make your answer personal, either to you or to them. With competencies its just having an example of the main competencies - teamwork/leadership/problem-solving etc. You should have a think about HOW you do these attributes - so what is your process for problem-solving? How do you function as part of a team, whats your role?

There is also a case study exercise at the first interview. So you'll spend half an hour looking over a case study and making notes on the topics they have outlined, then you'll go in and spend the first 15-20 minutes of the interview discussing the case study with them. Again, the way to do well at this is a) understand the case study but also b) have logical reasoning behind everything you say. They will challenge your assertions, assumptions and anything you say, but aslong as you stick to your guns and your reasoning behind your answer is logical and makes sense, then you're fine. However that said, if you identify that you are wrong and they are right, have the courage to admit that in the interview - but make it clear you understand the reasoning behind WHY you are wrong.

Second (and Final) interview is a rehash of the same, however you get asked questions on your values (i.e. integrity, compassion etc) and commercial awareness is tested here too (can also be tested at the first stage). There is a presentation involved in the final interview, last year it was a 5 minute presentation on a topic they gave to you about a week before.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Incredibly helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending