The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by APersonYo
What??? how??

I applied there a couple of days ago and got an email!
Original post by WoolyHat
I applied there a couple of days ago and got an email!

What course are you applying for? What are your predicted grades? WELL DONE ON THE OFFER :smile: So, do you know what the interview day will be like?
Original post by munchkin1212
I'm having difficulty deciding between chemical engineering and medicine.

Does anyone have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are two very different career paths so have a think about the type of working environment you'd suit best. I would say a medicine degree is very heavily focused on your people skills, and an engineering degree will be really heavily maths/computer-skills focused.

Bear in mind that even doing a chemical engineering degree you don't have to be a chemical engineer and you will still have to work hard to even get an entry-level job as a chemical engineer.

If you don't like physics: what part of it do you not like? As has been said, engineering is essentially applied physics: Fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer etc, will all have similar resemblances to what you learn in A-Level physics, but tie it all in with the mechanics modules from a-level maths.
What chemical engineering unis would I be able to get in with maths-b chemistry-b biology-b for my as results
Original post by debs20153
What chemical engineering unis would I be able to get in with maths-b chemistry-b biology-b for my as results

Any apart from Oxbridge and Imperial, its all about predicted grades and personal statement.
Hi all,

I am a gap year Medicine applicant but I want to choose ChemEng as my 5th choice. I have got A*A*Aa in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics respectively. I have contacted the University of Birmingham and Bath but only Birmingham have replied saying I can send them a ChemEng PS through email. I would ideally prefer Bath to Birmingham but is there anyone who has applied to Bath with a different personal statement other than a ChemEng one?

Also, are there anyone whos been to Bath or Birmingham and can just enlighten me on the course and how they find it.. Thank you!
Original post by ChemEngGrad
These are two very different career paths so have a think about the type of working environment you'd suit best. I would say a medicine degree is very heavily focused on your people skills, and an engineering degree will be really heavily maths/computer-skills focused.

Bear in mind that even doing a chemical engineering degree you don't have to be a chemical engineer and you will still have to work hard to even get an entry-level job as a chemical engineer.

If you don't like physics: what part of it do you not like? As has been said, engineering is essentially applied physics: Fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer etc, will all have similar resemblances to what you learn in A-Level physics, but tie it all in with the mechanics modules from a-level maths.

I saw your thread about the ChemEng job market, just curious but what class honours did u get?
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
I saw your thread about the ChemEng job market, just curious but what class honours did u get?

I got a good 1st.
I got a good 1st.

Have you read any of Sean Moran's posts on LinkedIn?

https://www.linkedin.com/today/author/sean-moran-979b5414?trk=prof-sm

He has written a lot of really excellent stuff, including some tips on how to secure a job as a chemical engineer. I think that anyone considering studying, studying or recently graduated in engineering (particularly chemical engineering) should read his stuff. It's the best that I have found, so far, that explains the differences between academia and industry.

A lot of what he writes is applicable to all disciplines of engineering, with a chemical engineering slant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Smack
Have you read any of Sean Moran's posts on LinkedIn?

https://www.linkedin.com/today/author/sean-moran-979b5414?trk=prof-sm

He has written a lot of really excellent stuff, including some tips on how to secure a job as a chemical engineer. I think that anyone considering studying, studying or recently graduated in engineering (particularly chemical engineering) should read his stuff.

A lot of what he writes is applicable to all disciplines of engineering, with a chemical engineering slant.

Thanks for the link I will take a look
Thanks for the link I will take a look

Do all unis require an interview for chemical engineering?
Original post by Lostalltime
Do all unis require an interview for chemical engineering?

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I at a disadvantage if I apply for chem eng quite late? November/December time? I know they say they consider all applications equally but the courses are really competitive.
Does anyone think work experience in a pharmacy would look good on a personal statement? Its not really relevant but its mad hard to get some chemeng related experience, I went through with it to show my intetest in chemistry if anything.

Edit: My main choices are bath and birmingham if that helps
Original post by munchkin1212
Am I at a disadvantage if I apply for chem eng quite late? November/December time? I know they say they consider all applications equally but the courses are really competitive.

Universities are *required* to give equal consideration to all applications received before the 15th Jan deadline.

So no, you will not be at a disadvantaged. They don't run out of places... the offer system doesn't work like that.
Original post by pusha a
Does anyone think work experience in a pharmacy would look good on a personal statement? Its not really relevant but its mad hard to get some chemeng related experience, I went through with it to show my intetest in chemistry if anything.

Edit: My main choices are bath and birmingham if that helps

Chemical engineering is a kind of engineering, so surely it's engineering that you need to be showing your interest in? Generally you don't dwell too much on things that aren't relevant, if you even list them at all.

Fortunately, you don't need any work experience, as academics are also aware of the difficulties in obtaining it.
Reply 356
Do you guys think UCL will accept a medicine personal statement if I apply for chemical engineering for my fifth option? I have already achieved A*A*A* in maths, biology and chemistry. I tried calling them them but got no reply. Does anyone have any information that might help me? Thank you
Original post by Smack
Chemical engineering is a kind of engineering, so surely it's engineering that you need to be showing your interest in? Generally you don't dwell too much on things that aren't relevant, if you even list them at all.

Fortunately, you don't need any work experience, as academics are also aware of the difficulties in obtaining it.

Should I bother applying to Bath, if I have average-ISH GCSEs and I'm a resit student?

I got 6 As 1A* 4Bs and a B in Additional Further Maths FSMQ

Last year results: ABCCD( A was in epq)
This years: AAB
Predicted: A*AA
Original post by APersonYo
Should I bother applying to Bath, if I have average-ISH GCSEs and I'm a resit student?

I got 6 As 1A* 4Bs and a B in Additional Further Maths FSMQ

Last year results: ABCCD( A was in epq)
This years: AAB
Predicted: A*AA

You're predicted the requirements. If you have an option to spare and really want to go to Bath then apply, you've got nothing to lose. I don't know you're chances of getting in, its personal preference whether you can afford to risk an option. Your grades look good enough. It depends on their opinions of resists and how strong your personal statement and reference is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Universities are *required* to give equal consideration to all applications received before the 15th Jan deadline.

So no, you will not be at a disadvantaged. They don't run out of places... the offer system doesn't work like that.

Thank you, that's reassuring!

Out of interest, how does the offer system work? I'm pretty clueless tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest