The Student Room Group

How is your personal statement going?

Scroll to see replies

Almost finished mine, applying for Vet Physio and Vet Nursing. Just got to get my Guidnce Teacher to read through a few more times. Ours don't have to be done till just before Christmas.
Original post by Defraction
st Andrews defooooo but I have to retake some units so hopefully my actual grades will get pushed up. so I am going to play it safe and apply to maybe brighton or city then when my grades are improved(I want to get like A*AB if I work hard this year and my retake units) then I'm going to go through adjustment and go to st Andrews

soz for the long paragraph. btw, where do you want to apply to?

no problem! good luck!!! and durham, warwick, exeter, york and lancaster :smile: hopefully i get in to at least one! general question-should i leave a line between paragraphs on ucas ps??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Theawesomejem
no problem! good luck!!! and durham, warwick, exeter, york and lancaster :smile: hopefully i get in to at least one! general question-should i leave a line between paragraphs on ucas ps??

aren't you supposed to???? i'm sure your teachers are supposed to tell you what format they want your personal statement to be like? omg, my older sister goes Exeter! all I have to tell you is that if you like a very diverse(ethnicity wise) environment it is probably not the best university for you.

btw, what stuff have you included in your personal statement? did you include what you did in year 12 or what you did throughout your life or just your passion for the subject? I just need some direction
I haven't done one yet, not even thought about starting! Totally burying my head in the sand when it comes to writing my personal statement, I just can't sell myself and have had no relevant experience!
aren't you supposed to???? i'm sure your teachers are supposed to tell you what format they want your personal statement to be like? omg, my older sister goes Exeter! all I have to tell you is that if you like a very diverse(ethnicity wise) environment it is probably not the best university for you.

btw, what stuff have you included in your personal statement? did you include what you did in year 12 or what you did throughout your life or just your passion for the subject? I just need some direction

I'm black, but I want to apply for the course at penryn campus which is excellent and I can get in on at BBB it will be a shame that there will be a lack of diversity but hopefully the people are inclusive+unprejudice :smile:

In my personal statement I begin with why I want to study politics(my family basically), move on to discussing feminist literature that got me into ideology, then take about my activism e.g. canvassing ect. plus my contributions to online news outlets then finish with something about how much studying politics would mean!
I'm black, but I want to apply for the course at penryn campus which is excellent and I can get in on at BBB it will be a shame that there will be a lack of diversity but hopefully the people are inclusive+unprejudice :smile:

In my personal statement I begin with why I want to study politics(my family basically), move on to discussing feminist literature that got me into ideology, then take about my activism e.g. canvassing ect. plus my contributions to online news outlets then finish with something about how much studying politics would mean!

damnnnnn, that sounds sick af and I haven't even read your personal statement. the ways the uni is set is like all the whites(not all but most) are together and all the oriental people are together which leaves like random races together. I'm sure it's like that in most unis but the lack of diversity in Exeter is shocking.

if you do apply to Exeter, I will make sure I will mention you to my friend because she really wants to go there as well but she's applying for Law and German.

I hope you get accepted to all of your unis hun and you have an awesome experience!!!!!!! Btw, did you have any like work experience or what you did in school in your personal statement(trust me I'm going to blab about what I want to do my subjects for them to not realise I barely have school achievements).
damnnnnn, that sounds sick af and I haven't even read your personal statement. the ways the uni is set is like all the whites(not all but most) are together and all the oriental people are together which leaves like random races together. I'm sure it's like that in most unis but the lack of diversity in Exeter is shocking.

if you do apply to Exeter, I will make sure I will mention you to my friend because she really wants to go there as well but she's applying for Law and German.

I hope you get accepted to all of your unis hun and you have an awesome experience!!!!!!! Btw, did you have any like work experience or what you did in school in your personal statement(trust me I'm going to blab about what I want to do my subjects for them to not realise I barely have school achievements).

you are being too kind! yes please introduce us! but the campus in cornwall and exeter are 2 hours away despite being the same university hahah.
I have a part time job, was head girl, 100% attendance all this and have worked for my local mp but I haven't included it as it's irrlevant to my course(mp thing wasn't sure how to link it and there's a section on ucas called relevant experience/summer school) plus I had loads of activism I already cut out :'(

my teachers are putting in their references some stuff I had to cut out lol! Good luck my advice is try and include political books that you have read go on the st andrews page for politics or any uni page for politics guarantee they'll be a suggested reading list read one or 2 or even research them and write about them for a paragrah to show engagement outside of class :smile:
st Andrews defooooo but I have to retake some units so hopefully my actual grades will get pushed up. so I am going to play it safe and apply to maybe brighton or city then when my grades are improved(I want to get like A*AB if I work hard this year and my retake units) then I'm going to go through adjustment and go to st Andrews

soz for the long paragraph. btw, where do you want to apply to?

St Andrews doesn't enter Adjustment or Clearing so you should just apply to it now :smile:

They take contextual factors and mitigating circumstances into account
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Capricancer
St Andrews doesn't enter Adjustment or Clearing so you should just apply to it now :smile:

They take contextual factors and mitigating circumstances into account

Hmmmmm, I think I might. Thank you very so much:smile:
you are being too kind! yes please introduce us! but the campus in cornwall and exeter are 2 hours away despite being the same university hahah.
I have a part time job, was head girl, 100% attendance all this and have worked for my local mp but I haven't included it as it's irrlevant to my course(mp thing wasn't sure how to link it and there's a section on ucas called relevant experience/summer school) plus I had loads of activism I already cut out :'(

my teachers are putting in their references some stuff I had to cut out lol! Good luck my advice is try and include political books that you have read go on the st andrews page for politics or any uni page for politics guarantee they'll be a suggested reading list read one or 2 or even research them and write about them for a paragrah to show engagement outside of class :smile:

thank you very so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully, everything will go well and good luck to you!!!!!!!
Haven't even started and I keep putting it off.
Reply 51
Finished my first draft and feeling like there's not much work left to be done on it really :biggrin: Applying for marine biology/zoology.
50% done :smile:
I drafted random paragraphs and then put it all together haha. First draft done, quite happy with it so will probably send it off asap
I have done paragraphs. just missing the opening and conclusion and I'm already over the character limit by 600 characters and haven't included everything I wanted to include in my personal statement so have to cut a lot of things out which is annoying me
finished it after about 30 drafts lol
Finished for accounting :h:
My PS on Environmental Science has been finished for a while, just waiting for my tutor to go over it with me. My brother works in admissions and he said it was good so fingers crossed 😄
I've done a first draft and I'm revising it. I'm applying for Media, Communication and Culture and potentially History at uni
If I were writing one and I was studying English or something I would start it off as 'From a very young age... I have hated clichéd openers, and fallen in love with paraprosdokian sentences'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending