The Student Room Group

Average GCSE's for medicine with foundation year

People who are doing Medicine with foundation year, what did you get at GCSE's? Want to know as i got average GCSE's (1A*, 6A's) Is there any chance of me applying if i do fairly well in A levels? I meet all the extra criteria aswell.
(edited 7 years ago)
Those grades are not average - they are bloody fantastic! Grades above a B are usually what universities look for when they are doing a foundation year, but this varies dependent on university. For example, Lancaster only ask for a C at GCSE science, whereas Manchester ask for at least 5 A's. However, foundation medicine varies between universities in terms of who they admit. For example: Cardiff only admit those who have taken less than one science A level. Whereas other places may be offering it as a lower entry for those who have biology and chemistry. If you take biology and chemistry and get good grades, alongside those GCSE results, I would expect that you would be able to get a decent offer from a good university with those grades without the foundation route. However, if you do apply for a foundation route, I am sure you will definitely get in somewhere! And if all else fails, you can always take a Level 3 Access to Medicine course after you A Levels. Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by clucky_chick
Those grades are not average - they are bloody fantastic! Grades above a B are usually what universities look for when they are doing a foundation year, but this varies dependent on university. For example, Lancaster only ask for a C at GCSE science, whereas Manchester ask for at least 5 A's. However, foundation medicine varies between universities in terms of who they admit. For example: Cardiff only admit those who have taken less than one science A level. Whereas other places may be offering it as a lower entry for those who have biology and chemistry. If you take biology and chemistry and get good grades, alongside those GCSE results, I would expect that you would be able to get a decent offer from a good university with those grades without the foundation route. However, if you do apply for a foundation route, I am sure you will definitely get in somewhere! And if all else fails, you can always take a Level 3 Access to Medicine course after you A Levels. Good Luck! :smile:

Hey thanks alot for the post. Its reassuring to see this but ive bloody scoured the internet trying to find what people got at GCSE's and i havent managed to find knack all. With that being said, i seem to be doing pretty well in AS levels and tbh i think something like ABB should be attainable. Im just worried that my GCSE results are gonna hold me down.
Original post by Sam579995
Hey thanks alot for the post. Its reassuring to see this but ive bloody scoured the internet trying to find what people got at GCSE's and i havent managed to find knack all. With that being said, i seem to be doing pretty well in AS levels and tbh i think something like ABB should be attainable. Im just worried that my GCSE results are gonna hold me down.

No problem! I haven't personally applied to medicine yet, but I have spoken to so many admissions tutors / etc, as I do plan to do medicine through a graduate route. Your GCSE's are fantastic, you have nothing to worry about. My GCSE's were A*A*BBBCC, and my AS was BBD (I was ill during those exams). I did not manage to get into science A levels due to my poor grades, so I took philosophy, psychology and English Lit. I emailed East Anglia admissions and asked them about foundation medicine, and they said they would consider me. If they said they would consider me considering how poor my grades are, etc. they should most certainly consider you! :smile:
Reply 4
No problem! I haven't personally applied to medicine yet, but I have spoken to so many admissions tutors / etc, as I do plan to do medicine through a graduate route. Your GCSE's are fantastic, you have nothing to worry about. My GCSE's were A*A*BBBCC, and my AS was BBD (I was ill during those exams). I did not manage to get into science A levels due to my poor grades, so I took philosophy, psychology and English Lit. I emailed East Anglia admissions and asked them about foundation medicine, and they said they would consider me. If they said they would consider me considering how poor my grades are, etc. they should most certainly consider you! :smile:

Hey thats good to hear and i wish you all the best in your goals!Im taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology so hopefully it should be all good. Thanks for the help
Hey thats good to hear and i wish you all the best in your goals!Im taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology so hopefully it should be all good. Thanks for the help

Aw, thank you very much. Yeah, I am going on a crazy path to get into medicine, but it will be all worth it in the end, and I am absolutely sure that you will fit the academic criteria. What about with extra-curricular / work experience? That will make a massive difference to your application too, and make sure you are practising those admissions tests as much as you can! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Aw, thank you very much. Yeah, I am going on a crazy path to get into medicine, but it will be all worth it in the end, and I am absolutely sure that you will fit the academic criteria. What about with extra-curricular / work experience? That will make a massive difference to your application too, and make sure you are practising those admissions tests as much as you can! :biggrin:

If everything goes well, im probably going to get some shadowing in surgery (luckily i know people who can help me with this) and then maybe a GP volunteering and then maybe some other volunteering.
If everything goes well, im probably going to get some shadowing in surgery (luckily i know people who can help me with this) and then maybe a GP volunteering and then maybe some other volunteering.

That sounds brilliant! Good luck with it all. :biggrin:
Reply 8
That sounds brilliant! Good luck with it all. :biggrin:

Thanks!Best of luck to you too.
Reply 9
Anyone else able to help me out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending