The Student Room Group

Medicine Personal Statement

Should you talk about a surgery you saw during your work experience in your personal statement. If yes, how can I talk about it without being too vague and not including too much detail(as that would take up too many characters) My personal statement is 3924 characters.
If I was an admissions tutor I wouldn't care about what surgeries you have seen tbh. Unless you learned some big lesson from it it's not going to demonstrate why you'd make a good student and a good doctor. I'd rather use the remaining words for reflection or something. :smile:
Original post by runyanja
Should you talk about a surgery you saw during your work experience in your personal statement. If yes, how can I talk about it without being too vague and not including too much detail(as that would take up too many characters) My personal statement is 3924 characters.

Hi there,

I too saw surgeries for my work experience which includes an amputation, exploratory laparotomy and even a cesarean. However i dont see any point in putting such details so i just wrote my statement in a way that the reader understands that i saw many surgeries. It will be best to outline and detail the surgeries you saw if asked at interview so you dont need to put it in your statment if theres other things you are wanting to say (imo)
(edited 7 years ago)
4000 character limit, and 76 isn't enough.
You don't need to mention the surgery unless it radically inspired you or some ****, plus you can always talk about it at interview.

By the way remember it needs to be 47 or under lines. Mine was over and I had to cut it down to 3500 characters to make 47 lines.
Reply 4
Original post by StationToStation
If I was an admissions tutor I wouldn't care about what surgeries you have seen tbh. Unless you learned some big lesson from it it's not going to demonstrate why you'd make a good student and a good doctor. I'd rather use the remaining words for reflection or something. :smile:

I was thinking of adding it in as an anecdote at the beginning of my personal statement : I saw 1 hysterectomy and hernia repair. I would only mention one of them, though?
Reply 5
Original post by alkaline.
4000 character limit, and 76 isn't enough.
You don't need to mention the surgery unless it radically inspired you or some ****, plus you can always talk about it at interview.

By the way remember it needs to be 47 or under lines. Mine was over and I had to cut it down to 3500 characters to make 47 lines.

Same mine was also over and i cut it down yesterday, but i still feel as though i need something to really captivate the reader from the beginning, that is why i thought of adding an anecdote
Original post by runyanja
I was thinking of adding it in as an anecdote at the beginning of my personal statement : I saw 1 hysterectomy and hernia repair. I would only mention one of them, though?

You're going to be way over the line limit. You should be reducing content not adding it with that character count. A well structured ps is usually between 3,200-3,609 characters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending