The Student Room Group

Commuting after a night shift

I finish my shift around 1-3am, and often feel very unsafe when going home. I feel like I have to quit my job even though I love my job. What do other people feel?
Can you get a taxi?
Reply 2
no too expensive.
Original post by GodAtum
I finish my shift around 1-3am, and often feel very unsafe when going home. I feel like I have to quit my job even though I love my job. What do other people feel?

thats not a night shift.
Get a car
Reply 5
Original post by GodAtum

That isn't a real night shift

Taxi, cycle, walk, bus, lifts from family/friends, MTFU. I suggest the latter.
Original post by GodAtum
no too expensive.

Is it more expensive than not having your job?
Is there anyway you can change your shifts or working time? Most people I've worked with are more understanding than you'd think about issues such as these, especially when your safety/wellbeing is at question. Or can you work in a similar job but with different or more flexible hours? I understand though, that if it's a pub/bar shift, sometimes you'll get very little flexibility in when you can finish work, but this is always an option. If not, at the bar I used to work at the manager used to give a lift home to one worker (although she was the oldest and had worked there for ages so they had a good relationship), even if it wasn't particularly late at night. Or employees used to give each other a lift when they could (you could offer to pay for petrol/the inconvenience).

Don't listen to the guy above btw - I feel uneasy walking after dark where I live (it's not the safest area) let alone at 1am and would avoid the bus after around 10. But the other poster makes a good point, that you should weigh up the cost of a taxi compared to not being able to work in the job - unless it's London of course where taxis will be stupidly expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending