The Student Room Group

Is my maths good for d1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jane122
y>0?

Not completely incorrect :smile: but not completely correct either.

If you were given a graph and asked to find the range of the function on the graph, how would you find it? What is the definition of the range?
Original post by Jane122
whats the range of this graph y=2/x if the domain is x>2 ?

@SeanFM @maths123

Consider what y is when x=2 and what happens as x tends to infinity.
Reply 22
Original post by SeanFM
Not completely incorrect :smile: but not completely correct either.

If you were given a graph and asked to find the range of the function on the graph, how would you find it? What is the definition of the range?

smallest y value and y=0 is the smallest asymptote so?
Reply 23
Original post by NotNotBatman
Consider what y is when x=2 and what happens as x tends to infinity.

i have another q.
idk how to draw 2x+3/x-1 (her,x>1)
and find the domain and range of f-1(X)

I GOT THE RANGE OF F-1(X) AS YER, Y>1 since the domain on f(X) IS THE RANGE OF F-1(X)
Original post by Jane122
smallest y value and y=0 is the smallest asymptote so?

No, the range is not the smallest y value :smile: it is the range of ....

Spoiler

That should help you answer your question and to see why y>0 is not completely correct but not completely incorrect.
Original post by Jane122
i have another q.
idk how to draw 2x+3/x-1 (her,x>1)
and find the domain and range of f-1(X)

I GOT THE RANGE OF F-1(X) AS YER, Y>1 since the domain on f(X) IS THE RANGE OF F-1(X)

For 2x+3x1 \frac{2x+3}{x-1} divide top and bottom by x, so that you have 2+3x11x \frac{2 +\frac{3}{x}}{1 - \frac{1}{x}} and observe what happens for large values of x.
Reply 26
Original post by SeanFM
No, the range is not the smallest y value :smile: it is the range of ....

Spoiler

That should help you answer your question and to see why y>0 is not completely correct but not completely incorrect.

i'm still confused. I don't know what the range is. so it was y>0?
Reply 27
For 2x+3x1 \frac{2x+3}{x-1} divide top and bottom by x, so that you have 2+3x11x \frac{2 +\frac{3}{x}}{1 - \frac{1}{x}} and observe what happens for large values of x.

why tho?

also i drew the graph of x^3+1 so is the range y> than equal to 1? but theres also negative Y values oh I'm confused gosh

@SeanFM
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jane122
i'm still confused. I don't know what the range is. so it was y>0?

I have told you the definition of the range, so what is the definition? :smile: (and hence what is the answer to your question?)
Reply 29
Original post by SeanFM
I have told you the definition of the range, so what is the definition? :smile: (and hence what is the answer to your question?)

the y values that exist? so y>0?
Original post by Jane122
why tho?

also i drew the graph of x^3+1 so is the range y> than equal to 1? but theres also negative Y values oh I'm confused gosh

Why? Because it makes it easier to see what's happens. You could just sub in large values of x into the calculator, but sometimes that's not enough.

The range for y=x3+1y =x^3 +1 is yR y \in \mathbb{R} if the domain is unrestricted.
Reply 31
Why? Because it makes it easier to see what's happens. You could just sub in large values of x into the calculator, but sometimes that's not enough.

The range for y=x3+1y =x^3 +1 is yR y \in \mathbb{R} if the domain is unrestricted.

oh okay!! but you know how i put the graph passing through 1 do i ignore the 1 then? i don't get restricted and unrestricted..
Original post by Jane122
the y values that exist? so y>0?

Yes, the y values that exist :smile: now remember y = 2/x where x > 2.

So tell me, if y>0 (every value of y that is greater than 0) exists, when is y = 100? How about 10000?
Reply 33
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, the y values that exist :smile: now remember y = 2/x where x > 2.

So tell me, if y>0 (every value of y that is greater than 0) exists, when is y = 100? How about 10000?

i said y>0 first....

would it be 0<y<1?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jane122
i said y>0 first....

would it be 0<y<1?

See, well done :h: hopefully you understand that now and how to tackle questions in the future (just by asking yourself what y values exist for the given x values)
Reply 35
Original post by SeanFM
See, well done :h: hopefully you understand that now and how to tackle questions in the future (just by asking yourself what y values exist for the given x values)

thank you!!!!!!:biggrin:
Original post by Jane122
oh okay!! but you know how i put the graph passing through 1 do i ignore the 1 then? i don't get restricted and unrestricted..

What do you mean ignore the 1? The range is not determined by where this graph is crossing the y axis, it is from the smallest y can be and the greatest y can be and that is between - \infty and \infty

An exception is when there is a discontinuous curve, this is where there would be a gap in the curve.

Unrestricted domain means x can be any real number, written as xR x \in \mathbb{R}
Restricted domain is where the function can only take on a certain range of x values. So if it was y=x3+1,3x3 y = x^3 + 1 , -3 \leq x\leq 3 then the domain is restricted from x=3 x=-3 to x=3 x=3
Reply 37
What do you mean ignore the 1? The range is not determined by where this graph is crossing the y axis, it is from the smallest y can be and the greatest y can be and that is between - \infty and \infty

An exception is when there is a discontinuous curve, this is where there would be a gap in the curve.

Unrestricted domain means x can be any real number, written as xR x \in \mathbb{R}
Restricted domain is where the function can only take on a certain range of x values. So if it was y=x3+1,3x3 y = x^3 + 1 , -3 \leq x\leq 3 then the domain is restricted from x=3 x=-3 to x=3 x=3

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 21.38.21.png
Original post by Jane122
Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 21.38.21.png

Only if the domain is x>0

If it is unrestricted, then y belongs to the set of real numbers.
Reply 39
Original post by notnotbatman
only if the domain is x>0

if it is unrestricted, then y belongs to the set of real numbers.

ohhh i see!!! Thanks again batman!!!! Xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest