The Student Room Group

Changing name through deed poll

I'm wanting to change my legal name by adding the name that I am commonly known as to my legal name. I've found that the only way that most places that have accounts or info under my current legal name can only be changed by an enrolled deed poll through gov.uk

I wanted see how peoples experiences were with doing an enrolled deed poll. How much of a hassle was it for others because I'm kind of finding it to be quite time consuming, considering there's a lot of paperwork to fill in.?

I wanted to get it done before I send my application for UCAS off.

Hopefully someone sees this :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm wanting to change my legal name by adding the name that I am commonly known as to my legal name. I've found that the only way that most places that have accounts or info under my current legal name can only be changed by an enrolled deed poll through gov.uk

I wanted see how peoples experiences were with doing an enrolled deed poll. How much of a hassle was it for others because I'm kind of finding it to be quite time consuming, considering there's a lot of paperwork to fill in.?

I wanted to get it done before I send my application for UCAS off.

Hopefully someone sees this :smile:

My deed poll isnt an enrolled one and has never caused any problems (you dont have to do it, i changed my surname nearly 5 years ago), i bought a deed poll online, got my step dad to witness it then sent it off to everywhere with a record of my name and took a copy to school and that was it. Unless your bank or someone else explicitly said you needed to enrol it, its not worth bothering to do that really.

I guess it took a good month to change everything but wasn't too much of a hassle (i didnt have a valid passport at the time and waited till i changed my name to buy my first driving license which would have made things much easier, i ll be changing my name again in a years time when i m married, will probably be more of a hassle then:P) .
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
My deed poll isnt an enrolled one and has never caused any problems (you dont have to do it, i changed my surname nearly 5 years ago), i bought a deed poll online, got my step dad to witness it then sent it off to everywhere with a record of my name and took a copy to school and that was it. Unless your bank or someone else explicitly said you needed to enrol it, its not worth bothering to do that really.

I guess it took a good month to change everything but wasn't too much of a hassle (i didnt have a valid passport at the time and waited till i changed my name to buy my first driving license which would have made things much easier, i ll be changing my name again in a years time when i m married, will probably be more of a hassle then:P) .

Unfortunately, it's my bank who seem to want to have the enrolled deed poll to change my name, so I'll have to deal with the long complicated way of enrolling the deed poll :/
Unfortunately, it's my bank who seem to want to have the enrolled deed poll to change my name, so I'll have to deal with the long complicated way of enrolling the deed poll :/

If it was just them being awkward i'd be swapping banks (can i ask who you bank with out of interest?) , £102 is a lot to pay to keep them happy. I've shown two banks my deed poll and it was never a problem.
My name is changing in March next year but I sent off my UCAS in the last name that it will be when I am at University and have asked my school to change my name.
Original post by hurricaneellin
My name is changing in March next year but I sent off my UCAS in the last name that it will be when I am at University and have asked my school to change my name.

That could cause ucas, your school and your university quite the confusion, why not change it legally now?

From a quick scan it points towards the deepoll itself taking 2-3 days but notifying the relevant departments as 3-8 weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll

You can also change your name using a notary.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
From a quick scan it points towards the deepoll itself taking 2-3 days but notifying the relevant departments as 3-8 weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll

You can also change your name using a notary.

If you don't mind, can you show me where it says it takes 2-3 days for the deed poll to be done?

Plus I don't have the money to have everything done by a solicitor so I have to do things like exhibit sheets and doing the nifty little bits myself, which is quite time consuming.
That could cause ucas, your school and your university quite the confusion, why not change it legally now?

They shouldn't get confused, everything is now in my last name to do with school and because my mum needs to do it and she said to wait till next year :smile:
They shouldn't get confused, everything is now in my last name to do with school and because my mum needs to do it and she said to wait till next year :smile:

so your school will defiently have you entered in your new name for your a levels despite it not being legal yet?
she doesnt have to do it for, you can do it yourself once you turn 18, much easier than the process of changing it for a child. (The law was slightly different a few years ago apparently, i changed mine at 16 without needing proof of parents permission).
so your school will defiently have you entered in your new name for your a levels despite it not being legal yet?
she doesnt have to do it for, you can do it yourself once you turn 18, much easier than the process of changing it for a child. (The law was slightly different a few years ago apparently, i changed mine at 16 without needing proof of parents permission).

Yes, the school definitely have :smile: But I still need a parents permission
Yes, the school definitely have :smile: But I still need a parents permission

that's good of them to do so. you won't as an adult for sure :smile:

Latest