The Student Room Group

Should I just give up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hey, I'm applying and in a similar position to you grade wise (although I do have about five novels worth of extenuating circumstances to contextualise poor performance in both instances).

I got 3 A*s at GCSE, AAB at AS and I am predicted A*A*A*A* (including EPQ).

I think the reason for my predictions is because my work all year was strong and I got full marks in my History AS paper whilst getting strong marks in my other exams. My college decided my other History exam was an 'off-day'.

I don't think I have a chance of getting in either, as I don't have a string of 12 A*s at GCSE and like 5 A grades at AS or anything, but I'm in love with Cambridge's History course so I'm giving it a shot. My plan is to get A*A*AA, or preferably higher, and re-applying with those grades. So I sympathise with you guys! I really didn't want to take a gap year myself, but if I get what I'm predicted or just below, I'm definitely doing it.

Your school sound so harsh when it comes to predicted grades! My college look at your performance all through the AS year, your exam performance and the first few assessments you do during your first few weeks as a second year. I really hope you can sort something out, but honestly, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. :wink:

(Sorry that this is so long-winded!)

Haha thank you! I managed to get it sorted out! Predicted A*A*A :biggrin:
Original post by jamestg
Haha thank you! I managed to get it sorted out! Predicted A*A*A :biggrin:

Yay! I'm so happy for you! :biggrin:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Yay! I'm so happy for you! :biggrin:

I am too :biggrin:

Congrats on your predictions!!
Original post by jamestg
I am too :biggrin:

Congrats on your predictions!!

Thanks so much!!

I feel undeserving as I feel like my academic record isn't up to scratch to warrant such predictions, but I am pretty proud of them when considering the issues I have faced. Somebody in that college seems to put their faith in me... :tongue:
Bear in mind that since many schools inflate their predicted grades, universities aren't necessarily going to be like "ah, their teacher predicted A*A*A* so despite the fact that they got ABB at AS I'm sure they'll be perfect..."

I know that Oxford doesn't usually look at UMS (Cambridge does for all applicants, and I've heard from several Oxford students that they were asked for relevant UMS scores in their interviews), but they almost certainly take into account your AS grades when considering the reliability of your school's predictions. Also, if you're predicted high grades and they give you a correspondingly high offer, you could then lose out on the place on results day anyway - it's not really in your favour to spend all this effort pestering teachers to give you higher predictions, instead spend that time on your studies. *

Just my two cents...*
You sound committed and inspired regarding PPE. I say, go for it.

You always have the chance that you have an interesting application and experience that helps you beat the odds. Sometimes, for whatever reason, schools are not helpful. Keep moving forward, don't waste your time feeling hurt even if your teachers are acting like jerks. The best revenge is to excel.

Though it's Cam, I would recommend watching this story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxqTpLPWlMg
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending