The Student Room Group

OCD

Hey,

OCD I know what it is. However, can you get OCD with time management.
Like at certain times I have to do something, for example 6am wake up 6:30 had my breakfast, 7 gotten dressed and done my teeth.
If I don't stick to this I start to worry, and sometimes become moody (well so my siblings say).
So is OCD with time a actually thing?
Reply 1
You can have OCD with any obsessions/compulsions. Go to a doctor if you're worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Can be.

I've had phases of trying to micro-manage everything to get by in everyday life.

Glad that's over.
Could be, OCD comes in a lot of different forms. It doesn't have to just be the stereotypical obsessive hand washing.
Reply 4
I have that as well, but it's part of one of my PDs. I personally don't think it's OCD for me, but it could be for you. Obviously we're not professionals, going to your GP would be best.
Reply 5
Maybe a very mild form of OCD or even OCPD. The distress from not being able to complete a compulsion (in your case, doing things before a certain time) is usually great anxiety and dread and intrusive thoughts that something bad will happen to you or loved ones because you didn't complete the compulsion either in time or didn't get to do it at all. If you experience some form of distress from not completing the compulsion but it more makes you moody, feel out of place or agitated then that is more common of OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder) which is what many people assume OCD actually is, but it isn't. Both conditions can be similar at times but are two totally different disorders. If you are worried or your distress becomes worse then I advise you go to go your doctor and get assessed. Compulsions from OCD feel like having to do them is a matter of life and death whereas compulsions from OCPD are less intrusive are more of an annoyance rather than an absolute necessity to complete.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

OCD I know what it is. However, can you get OCD with time management.
Like at certain times I have to do something, for example 6am wake up 6:30 had my breakfast, 7 gotten dressed and done my teeth.
If I don't stick to this I start to worry, and sometimes become moody (well so my siblings say).
So is OCD with time a actually thing?

You can get OCD with almost anything. If you think you might have it (it sounds possible to me) you can check out info on mind.org and ocduk and talk to a doctor.
OCD comes in different varieties and severities so what you hear about one person's experience may not fit yours, but that doesn't mean you don't have it.
Even if you think you have a mild case it's still worth seeking help because any form of OCD is stressful for the person who has it and it's not right for you to be stressing out when there is something that could help you.
I had pretty unusual OCD in that I had no thoughts associated most of the time- just very compelling urges- and for me it was linked to anxiety and depression rather than stand alone. For me it improved as my general mental state did. Maybe you could look into anxiety and depression too to see if anything like that sounds familiar for you.
Reply 7
Original post by Spock's Socks
Maybe a very mild form of OCD or even OCPD. The distress from not being able to complete a compulsion (in your case, doing things before a certain time) is usually great anxiety and dread and intrusive thoughts that something bad will happen to you or loved ones because you didn't complete the compulsion either in time or didn't get to do it at all. If you experience some form of distress from not completing the compulsion but it more makes you moody, feel out of place or agitated then that is more common of OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder) which is what many people assume OCD actually is, but it isn't. Both conditions can be similar at times but are two totally different disorders. If you are worried or your distress becomes worse then I advise you go to go your doctor and get assessed. Compulsions from OCD feel like having to do them is a matter of life and death whereas compulsions from OCPD are less intrusive are more of an annoyance rather than an absolute necessity to complete.

You phrased it better than me, and I have OCPD. :colondollar:

:getmecoat:

:tongue:

I had that when I was 10. I used to do obsessive things in fear of my life and my families. I was a weird kid, glad I don't do that s**t anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Airmed
You phrased it better than me, and I have OCPD. :colondollar:

:getmecoat:

:tongue:
Hehe :colondollar: :teehee:
I didn't know you have OCPD :frown: :hugs:

Original post by RossB1702
I had that when I was 10. I used to do obsessive things in fear of my life and my families. I was a weird kid, glad I don't do that s**t anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad you grew out of it, wouldn't wish OCD on my worst enemy
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RossB1702

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure how putting something that can very much be a symptom of a legitimate mental illness down to being a 'weird kid' is helpful for the OP.
It's also unfair to call things that someone does as part of a mental illness that they cannot help ****.
Original post by AlexS101
I'm not sure how putting something that can very much be a symptom of a legitimate mental illness down to being a 'weird kid' is helpful for the OP.
It's also unfair to call things that someone does as part of a mental illness that they cannot help ****.

My apologies. I didn't mean to offend anyone but for someone who doesn't understand the illness it would no doubt make a person look weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I still have it lol just not as severe. For example I can't stand doors being left a jar and sometimes repeat actions. I'll try and conquer it but it's just not a burden on me anymore. I also used to count my footsteps and made sure whenever I was leaving or entering a new place the number of footsteps I took to walk the distance was an even number ffs lol. I also wouldn't stand on cracks in the floors. For anyone who has OCD it goes away if you persevere and don't submit to your urges. It was a horrible pain and it was a huge burden growing up lol. I'm glad it went away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

I have a few :frown: OCPD was the original diagnosis.

Quick Reply

Latest