The Student Room Group

Graduate student applying to undergraduate medicine

Hi guys,

Just to keep it brief, I've avoided posting in some other threads as they seem to be gauged specifically at undergraduates applying to undergrad, or graduates applying to grad courses (GEM); whereas I'm in a different boat.
Currently in my final year studying Biomedical Science, predicted to attain a first class degree.
Sat the UKCAT and came out with a score of 680.
I was thinking of applying to 5 year (undergrad) courses at Aberdeen, Glasgow and St Barts (final choice is for GEM as I've also sat the GAMSAT).

Was wondering what anyone thought about my chances of getting an interview at each of these places, from previous experience either applying themselves, or close friends?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Just to check that you are aware that graduates receive no help with tuition fees from student finance on 5 year undergrad courses. However you can still apply for a full maintenance loan.

Will you be able to afford to do the 5 year undergrad course (sorry if this sounds intrusive!)?
Reply 2
Original post by Marathi
Just to check that you are aware that graduates receive no help with tuition fees from student finance on 5 year undergrad courses. However you can still apply for a full maintenance loan.

Will you be able to afford to do the 5 year undergrad course (sorry if this sounds intrusive!)?

Hey Marathi,

Yep, I've taken it into consideration and am able to fund it! Thanks anyway!
Reply 3
Anyone? >.>
Original post by Zak1995
Anyone? >.>

How do each of your choices use the UKCAT? (I'm a graduate myself and have a similar UKCAT to you... :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
How do each of your choices use the UKCAT? (I'm a graduate myself and have a similar UKCAT to you... :smile:

From what I've seen, all 3 use it quite heavily (not sure on an exact percentage of weighting), and the average scores of those who've received an offer is around 660 for Aberdeen and Glasgow, and 680+ for St Barts! Think that'll drop/stay the same this year.
I'm considering Dundee now too, they weight UKCAT 60%, academia 40% (for graduates applying to 5 year).
Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Zak1995
From what I've seen, all 3 use it quite heavily (not sure on an exact percentage of weighting), and the average scores of those who've received an offer is around 660 for Aberdeen and Glasgow, and 680+ for St Barts! Think that'll drop/stay the same this year.
I'm considering Dundee now too, they weight UKCAT 60%, academia 40% (for graduates applying to 5 year).
Hope that helps :smile:

Just thinking, with a score of 680, is it wise to apply to UKCAT heavy universities?
Reply 7
Just thinking, with a score of 680, is it wise to apply to UKCAT heavy universities?

The thought crossed my mind for sure, but for undergrad, 680 is quite a bit above most uni's who set a cutoff, and previous average scores of offer holders (apart from Newcastle & Southampton from what I can remember). Combined with a predicted 1st class - that seems alright? Or have I talked myself into a false sense of security? :colondollar:
Original post by Zak1995
The thought crossed my mind for sure, but for undergrad, 680 is quite a bit above most uni's who set a cutoff, and previous average scores of offer holders (apart from Newcastle & Southampton from what I can remember). Combined with a predicted 1st class - that seems alright? Or have I talked myself into a false sense of security? :colondollar:
I think you're right. Graduates (although a lot apply to a100) are definitely in the minority. 680 seems okay. As long as you meet the minimum A level requirements. I got 687 which i think will be okay along with pretty good GCSEs and a first predicted :biggrin: Good luck with your application.
Reply 9
I think you're right. Graduates (although a lot apply to a100) are definitely in the minority. 680 seems okay. As long as you meet the minimum A level requirements. I got 687 which i think will be okay along with pretty good GCSEs and a first predicted :biggrin: Good luck with your application.

That's a good score, all that definitely puts you in good stead!
Thank you, you've made me feel a little bit more at ease. :biggrin: All the best with your application too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending